Author Topic: Bloody powder coating  (Read 2295 times)

Simo63

Bloody powder coating
« on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:07 am »
I've long been someone that believes powder coating does not belong on VMX race bikes.  There's been a number of threads on this topic in the past so I won't carry on too much but personally I've seen too many examples of just how well it hides rust, corrosion and other issues so it was no real surprise when I received a call from my sand blaster last week about my 1989 CR250 frame I took in there.

I purchased this bike 12 months or more ago and am currently freshening it up for the upcoming PC Nats so I thought I would take the non period correct white powder coat off the frame and return it back to the original blood red colour.

Now you never know what your going to get when you buy an old motocrosser (and I've also had to rebuild the motor completely even though it ran well .. the crank and bottom end was completely rooted) so I've no problem fixing these issues and the pics below show the result of my booty fab fabrication  ;D.  As usual I forgot to take "before" shots as I'm always keen to just get straight into it, but I basically cut out the affected areas, welding in replacement metal and then fabricated another "skid rail" along the chassis:

The message here though is that you could not tell there was any problem with the frame under the white powder coating ..... and that's why I don't like it.

Just my opinion of course  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:41:41 am by Simo63 »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody powder coating
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »
I'm no fan of powder coating either, especially when it's baked on too thick.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:41:04 pm »
Looks a mess alright .... you know any one local that can weld. It can be fixed. 

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »
At least he doesn't repair it with copper pipe like you do . :)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:29:30 pm »
Looks a mess alright .... you know any one local that can weld. It can be fixed.

Hey ease up stew ... I'm an Accountant ..... I never said I was a professional welder but I can tell you I got penetration and it's good to go for another 25 years .. and will look smicko with a coat of Jam  ;)

Besides .. my TAFE welding teacher famously told us once "as long as you get penetration, the difference between a good weld and a bad weld is the amount of grinding you gotta do"  :)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »
a good coat of powder coat will cover those welds ;D some welders go to far making there welds look nice rather than making them work , all good simo ;)

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:44:59 pm »
Craig .... Ok it will look a lot better when it's paint  ;)
Joan ....Haven't used copper in the last 5 years, New generation coming thru the ranks won't know what any oxy set is let a loan know how to it.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
New generation coming thru the ranks won't know what any oxy set is let a loan know how to it.

English isn't your first language, is it?

Thanks for the laugh with your earlier post. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
 ?li?w ? ?o? ni?????n? uoy q??? lliw ?i??li?w ?i?? . ??u?u? ni ?i?? ??il ???????m ym ll? ??oq lliw I , I n?????n y??? ??iup ?'?I???w???

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:47:24 pm »
Yep, powder coating is for fences......
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...