Author Topic: Race number and class letter sizes  (Read 10182 times)

Offline loosecannon

• Novice
    • View Profile
Race number and class letter sizes
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:53:20 PM »
G'day guy's,

I just got my green plates for my yz250F resto, I have my race number which is 3 numbers, Just wanting to know the minimum size of the numbers and class letter ( in this case E).... just so I know what to get and how to fit it all on the little plate  ::) ::)... as I have seen some that are a bit smaller and fit on the oval plates ok, and some that over hang the perimeter of the plates

Thanks again in advance for your assistance

Regards
Dave

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Race number and class letter sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
The class indentification letter should be a minimum of 50mm (2") high and in upper case  E for evo.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
I know your pain, loosec.

I don't think there's a minimum size for the numbers themselves - although it is obviously in your best interest to make sure they are large enough to read.

The letter has to be 50mm high, but it doesn't specify how wide. ;) Again, you obviously want it to be readable, but it doesn't have to be read by lap scorers.

Also, the wording about 'to the left of the number' is actually more vague than it first appears.
It gives a bit of freedom to let you put the letter above or below the number, providing it is toward the left (this doesn't help much with oval number plates, but it does for rectangular ones).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline loosecannon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks guy's...

Nathan, yes with an oval plate makes it harder, if the letter "E" needs to be 50mm high..... how high at minimum can the race numbers be?....... so I can figure out how to juggle the letter and numbers around,

Regards
Dave

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »
9.1 Number plates
16.9.1.1    Number plates shall be either oval or rectangular and in the following colours:
CAPACITY

BACKGROUND COLOUR

FIGURE COLOUR
Up to 125cc    Black    White
250cc    Dark Green    White
263cc and over    Canary Yellow    Black
16.9.1.2    For all competitions three number plates must be fitted: one at the front and one on each side.
16.9.1.3    Number plates must:

Where they are not an integral part of the machine or streamlining and are under 1.6mm in thickness, have rolled or wired edges,
    In the case of rectangular plates, have the corners formed to a 38mm radius,
    In the case of bolt on number plates, be made from a rigid material with minimum dimensions of 235mm height and 285mm width; and
    In the case of sidecars, be positioned so that they are visible from the front and each side of the sidecar.

16.9.1.4    Front number plates must have figures which are clearly visible at a distance of 20 metres and a solid 10mm wide border.
16.9.1.5    Side number plates must:

Be fitted above a horizontal line drawn through the rear axle,
    Be fitted so that the front edge of the plate is behind a vertical line drawn at 200mm to the rear of the rider’s footrest,

16.9.1.6    Number backgrounds on side number plates may be an integral part of the rear seat section or fairing.
16.9.1.7    Advertising must be at least 25mm clear of the background of a number plate unless the advertising is an integral part of the back plate cover.
16.9.2 Back Numbers
16.9.2.1    No competitor may compete in any competition unless wearing the machine identification number on their back in contrasting colours and with a minimum size of 125mm height and 20mm width of stroke.
16.9.3 Class Identification
16.9.3.1    A letter will be:

Used to identify the class of the machine,
    Placed on the left side of all 3 race plates,
    50mm high, and in upper case,
    The same colour as the race number.

16.9.3.2    Identification letters for each class are:
a)    Pre-1960    “A”
b)    Pre-1965    “N”
c)    Pre-1970    “H”
d)    Pre-1975    “X”
e)    Pre-1978    “Z”
f)    Pre-1978 Women    “T”
g)    Evolution    “E”
h)    Pre-1985    “Y”
i)    Pre-1990    “W”

Offline loosecannon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:46:48 AM »
Perfect Noel... thanks for that mate  ;) ;) ;)

Still be a tight fit to get 3 numbers and a letter behind it on a yz250F plate

I have seen the letter (E) above the number on a few bikes with 3 numbers, as it won't fit behind it
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:34:46 AM by loosecannon »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
And here we go again. Another over complicated rule to confuse the punters......

It's hard enough to fit 2 decent size numbers on our oval number plates, let alone 3.

Dave, just do your best to make the numbers as big as you can to make them all fit on. 090 (Brad) on this forum has his numbers fitting very good so it can be done.

The thing I don't understand is why MA continue down the path of ridiculous rules for VMX bikes.  In this case, has anyone seen the size of number backgrounds and numbers on modern enduro bikes......surely they need bigger number boards mounted, 200 mm from line of swingarm and 200mm behind rider foot peg........ ::)

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
Can anyone advise the best place to buy these era letters? I've tried MCA's, Sydney City MC's, Bunnings, & Office Works. The only ones I found are at Office Works & they're no good 'cause they are only about 1cm high.
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Offline Fabulous

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
BCF have a pretty good selection . They are for boat registration but work pretty well

Offline Big Scotty

• C-Grade
  • Heaven 380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Gday
I have found it easier when finding new numbers to go into Microsoft publisher, find a number font you like, you can then size it up or down, put them on a lean, whatever you like,  print it out, you can then check how it fits your plate, keep trying till you get what you want, then take that to your local sign shop were they scan it and print it out, I found with multiple numbers to lean the numbers forward, gives you more room for the ID letter on the left, usually around 60 dollars for two bikes,
cheers scotty
yz400d yz125d yz490k

Offline loosecannon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Thanks guy's

I'm new to VMX racing , so trying to figure out what others out there do in this situation  ;) ;)

Regards
Dave

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »
bit like BS - I gave the maximum available size to my decal printer - they draw up with number and letter give it to me to sign off on and then print out - easy done and such a better finish than trying to do it yourself.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
BCF have a pretty good selection . They are for boat registration but work pretty well

Yep checked BCF and they do have a good range in any colour you like as long as it is black. Unfortunately I need white ones for my 250's. Same result when I went to another Bunnings store today they have suitable sizes but all in black  :-[

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
And here we go again. Another over complicated rule to confuse the punters......

It's hard enough to fit 2 decent size numbers on our oval number plates, let alone 3.

Dave, just do your best to make the numbers as big as you can to make them all fit on. 090 (Brad) on this forum has his numbers fitting very good so it can be done.

The thing I don't understand is why MA continue down the path of ridiculous rules for VMX bikes.  In this case, has anyone seen the size of number backgrounds and numbers on modern enduro bikes......surely they need bigger number boards mounted, 200 mm from line of swingarm and 200mm behind rider foot peg........ ::)

And there lies the problem.

Rules are introduced that we're not applicable back in the day, when these bikes were new.

Front and rear sprocket covers are in vogue these days. If you stuck your fingers in the sprocket back then it was called bad luck mate. Now you become an instant victim.

Too many rules.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 06:01:54 PM »

And there lies the problem.

Rules are introduced that we're not applicable back in the day, when these bikes were new.

Front and rear sprocket covers are in vogue these days. If you stuck your fingers in the sprocket back then it was called bad luck mate. Now you become an instant victim.

Too many rules.

Now now Ted, you know the rule about the era letters is so that you or I, or anyone else for that matter doesn't front up to the pre 65 or pre 75 grid on our pre 85 bikes........'cause no one would notice that would they ;D ::) ;D