Author Topic: ebay problems  (Read 4314 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
ebay problems
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:28:17 pm »

Tried to buy an item  (buy now) from the US but the ebay generated postage was way to expensive so I asked the seller to try and get a better price
   I think I have been reasonable with my request can anyone see a problem.  I think US ebay works the same as here, or am I wrong I dont want to give him a bum stear if in fact the rules are different.  It seems to me like the seller is confused and not familiar with how ebay works.
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                      My email
   I am interested in one of this item and maybe more than one but the ebay generated postage is to expensive. Can you give me a price on this item being sent USPS in a flat rate box to post code 2325 Australia and also how many will fit in the box.
   Sorry to be a pain but the ebay generated prices are always very high.
                                 Thank you for your trouble.

---------------------------------------
                                               His   Reply
I apologize, but since we have to use eBay's global shipping program, they do all the rates for us. I am hoping that their pricing will go down, but until then it is out of our hands
                                ------------------------------------
                                                From me
  You don’t have to use ebays postage prices they are just a guide and way over priced. I have been buying parts etc off ebay for years and never had to pay their postage price.
If you log into the USPS site and click on ( International flat rate boxes ) then scroll to the right until you find the small flat rate box it tells you the postage and the price to send from your post code to mine (2325 Australia) I think the boxes hold up to 4 pounds weight, so if you know the weight of the goods you will know how many I can buy and fit in the box.
   Hope you understand that I am not trying to be difficult, just get the best price I can   
                           --------------------------------------------------

I understand, it was just my understanding that we were charged eBay's rates once we sent your package to them at their central shipping location in Kentucky USA, is this not true? If not, I will adjust the price for you, I am going to have to do some research. We only just started shipping out of the states using this program about a month ago, I apologize if I do not know all the rules to it yet. Let me know if you know more, thank you!
                                               -------------------------------
                                            From me
          No you don't have to use ebay for postage.
     When you sell an item most buyers will ask you about postage costs, no one expects to pay the ebay generated price.  If you look at the USPS site I told you about in my last email you will find the price,  then just call at your local post office ask for the box address it and send just the same as if you were posting local USA.  Only difference is you have to fill in a docket and put the price and discription of the item in the box on the slip,  really it's no harder  and it will get you a lot more sales overseas.  If the items weigh 1 pound each I would buy 4 to take the weight to the allowed 4 pound.
   Thanks again for your trouble.
                                               Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: ebay problems
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:13:02 pm »
A few US sellers are ONLY posting with USPS 'Priority International Package' at $40 now instead of the quarter cost "First Class International' at $9.

This is what some sellers who give an option on postage say:  "Attention international customers! First Class Mail International shipments are neither insured or trackable. Use this service at your own risk! You will be provided with a label number. However, once it leaves our facility it is not our responsibility and cannot be tracked. It is a low cost alternative, but there is risk to it."

Maybe Newman off Seinfeld is pinching our stuff.

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:10:45 am »
The other issue for seller's is if you report your item as not arriving - even if it does, PayPal will most of the time refund the buyer and the seller is out of pocket. This is why most don't like to use First Class as there is no way to trace it. Using Priority Mail gives the seller some comfort but if it all goes pear shaped PayPal refund the buyer.
This is why Ebay has come up with this new fantastic safe - for - sellers Global Shipping crap. The seller ships it to a central location and they then forward it onto the buyer. They bang on how it is now safe and hassle free and as a seller you are assured that it won't go missing and hence no more being re funded due to non arrival. Of course all this comes at a cost to us buyers as you pay shipping from the seller to the central location then onto the final destination. And no doubt EBay make a little on each part of the trip. This is why you see a small item like a bearing or bolt or similar with a $50+ international shipping price. Its just a rip >:( and with the dollar now lower it is now les and less attractive to buy out of the States unless you get a good seller who is prepared to get an accurate cost and not use the Global Shipping Program.

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:00:19 am »

The item I want to buy is $4.42 au and the postage advertised is $43.19 au, when depending on his location a flat rate small box could be under $20 and I can fit 4 of them in it.  That would make sense.

Zane

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:39:41 pm »
 Recieved this today but I don't hold out much hope of the owner helping me out.
                                                                                                                      Zane

That is what the owner was trying to stay away from, was sending directly through our store for out of country purchases. I will see if we can make an acception and get back to you.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:35 pm »
A US seller told me, when its over $250, ebay requires tracking and signed delivery therefore it is expensive to freight items. like this was $150 freight for a sprocket cover for my TM...
see link. BTW i was going to make an offer of much less anyway...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370660610215?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Tony T

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:37 pm »
eBay and Gumtree are both becoming more trouble than they're worth for me.
eBay costs waaaaaaaay to much to sell on and Gumtree is full of nutters. e.g I've called 2 sellers in 2 days saying I'll pay the asking price if I can collect tomorrow morning and got no response from either.  :o

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:16 pm »
Agree Tony,
Just got a $125 bill from evil, i sold 2 bikes for a total of $2500... They seem to net approx 10% for doing nothing. A salesman or most times an agent doesn't get 10% for selling stuff and banging on doors. FUBAR Rip off! I cannot even get a breakdown of the billing - seems to be hidden somewhere. That why its called evilbay.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »
Agree Tony,
Just got a $125 bill from evil, i sold 2 bikes for a total of $2500... They seem to net approx 10% for doing nothing. A salesman or most times an agent doesn't get 10% for selling stuff and banging on doors. FUBAR Rip off! I cannot even get a breakdown of the billing - seems to be hidden somewhere. That why its called evilbay.
Brett

5%
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline flyingdg

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:53 am »
Zane if you would like I will buy it and have it shipped to me here in the US and then I will send it to you. I have did this for other forum member of the OZ site. Thanks DG

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 02:11:53 am »
Zane if you would like I will buy it and have it shipped to me here in the US and then I will send it to you. I have did this for other forum member of the OZ site. Thanks DG

Nice Doug, you did not mention Maico in your post.  We are watching you.  ;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline flyingdg

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:53 am »
I didn't have time to call John Caldwell and ask for permission to say maico.....shit now I did it I said maico SHIT I did it again!!! DG
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:07:23 am by flyingdg »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »
Your correct Tossa, Too many sherberts mate
Brett

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:32 pm »
Just got caught by the Ebay USA postal setup.
Bought 2 separate items from seller on the understanding he would put them in the same box [ Honda single head and rockers/cam ] with combined postage .
Ebay won't let him combine the postage so now I pay double.
They [ EBAY] say it's to make buying from places like AUS easier.
Yer right.
Bet they own the freight company.
Poo.

26/3/14 Update.
Ebay charged me double postage as I have said.
Now the seller tells me that the system has printed out only one label.
So the items go in one box anyhow.
Nice

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:43:39 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »
Hi All
Yes, Ebay is full of nonsense right now. For instance, last night, I wanted to buy 3 small articles from one seller but one article would not add to my ebay shopping cart as I specified my S. African posting address (Africa was Excluded from shipping on that item). What I did was to specify a "dummy" shipping address of a friend in the USA. That way I got all the items on the shopping cart list.

Then there's an icon on the top right of the shopping list: "Request a total from seller" Click on that and your list and in the next page, you can correct your address before sending to the seller and getting a combined shipping quote.

Regards
David
Dave's not here man