Author Topic: They say it comes in threes  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
They say it comes in threes
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:31:54 am »
I am left thinking that I shouldn't have laughed at the reaper's attempt when I near bled to death earlier this year. The shit just seems to keep coming.

I am not usually suspicious, but

I just barely escaped my closest head on experience ever, when coming home from Mudgee on the Valentines weekend (Sunday 16th , Golden Highway) Point is, It was dam close, to close, still rattled by it. A bend, A freakin lunatic traveling at, at least  130ks in pissing down rain who couldn't get his shit back onto his side on the road, leaving me with no where to escape to, except by the skin of my teeth. It tore the tail light and number plate from the rear of my trailer as I was forced into the guide posts.

First time I have ever been rattled by a possible head on at speed, and still am.

On Sunday, coming home from Bula Vinduro. A large/mini cyclone/tornado/squall hit, blowing large dead pruned trees out of the scrub onto the road, whilst traveling in a group at 110 k's. So close. No where to go except for our group to plough through them. Took out my bumper, mirror, Ariel, paint,  etc. Dam close, now I know the value of ABS brakes and top quality tyres. Still gob smacked that we escaped major carnage.

Yesterday,,,far,,k. Time to unload and pack things away. Parked next to front Verandah, so I could unload on to it, clean everything, organize and put it all away etc. Phone rings, so I go inside to answer it. Smash, bang, crash, I thought another earthquake at first,,,,, A Crumpledoor with a epileptic driver had mounted the foot path traveled between the parked cars and our  old inner city houses built to the street. Side swipped the house next door and demolished my verandah where I was standing only a few seconds before.

Conclusion 1; the reaper is still hunting me.  Conclusion 2; Some one must be looking out for me.
and three, to the reaper, I was only joking when I made that wise crack about you being a pussy,,,,maybe we could have a drink, make up and have a joke about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

in say, forty years time ???     
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:43:38 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Tony T

Re: They say it comes in threes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:46:49 am »
Jeez Mick.
Remind me not to ever stand too close to you!  ???
I've only ever had one 'near-death experience and that was 25 years ago. You seem to have them quite regularly.  :(
In my case, I was on a long straight stretch of road on a bike. As a line of cars came towards me, a Toyota Corona swings out onto my side of the road and I went between them.  :o
I was ok, but my jocks were fatally injured........
The Toyota driver kept his boot into it and completed the over taking process!!!  :o

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:05:38 am »
They say a cat has 9 lives.....your knocking them off one by one.....go buy a lotto ticket mate....obviously somebody is looking after you.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:19:12 am »
That is a good idea Davey Crocket :) straight on the shopping list.

Jeez Mick.
Remind me not to ever stand too close to you!  ???

Very wise Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've only ever had one 'near-death experience and that was 25 years ago. You seem to have them quite regularly.  :(
In my case, I was on a long straight stretch of road on a bike. As a line of cars came towards me, a Toyota Corona swings out onto my side of the road and I went between them.  :o
I was ok, but my jocks were fatally injured........
The Toyota driver kept his boot into it and completed the over taking process!!!  :o

Its all right Tony, you are amongst friends, that one would have scared the crap out of anyone ;D
So do you ever look back and think Evil Kenevil ain't got nothin on me ;D

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:23:54 am »
don't get too concerned Tony, the D's shit hasn't rub off on me yet  ;),was wondering how everyone got on coming out of Bulah sunday,i could see it coming,black as,when it hit cars went everywhere ducking for cover,not this little black duck,i had a late model audi so far up my bum,(using me for a sheild i guess)kept the hammer down,coz i've been stuck before when trees come down,no drama this time,apart from the van weaving all over the lane ,it was like parting the red sea, (bow waves) kenda coyoties take a bow 8), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
Gezus H Mick D, you have had a decent dance with the reaper mate. I've had a few myself, in particular late at night on the Pacific hwy playing with all the big trucks in my little Iveco when I did the bike transport. I've had to go bush when a B double came straight at me on my side of the road in the pouring rain. Seems he didn't want to stop overtaking the truck that was in front of him. Lucky the section of bush wasn't tree lined like the majority of the hwy. I stopped at the next rest area and got the bottle of JD that I kept for a night cap out of the Eingel.... I got pushed off the road at Goondawindi by another B double and his mate who were having a race to get into the single lane before me. That was a bumpy ride at 100k's off road with a truck full of bikes and the trailer just about full. That excursion damaged an immaculate DR600 Dakar tank when then bike came out of it's chock in the trailer and broke one of the shackles on the trailer. Cost me a day and about $500 to get the trailer fixed and a new tank for the Dakar. Had a huge caravan pull out of a rest area about 20 metres in front of me at 100k's with a car comming on the otherside. Lucky the car gave me room to get around the c@#khead with the van otherwise I would of seen the fit out inside the van. I swear there was about 20mm clearance between the three vehicles. And there were plenty of other near misses. It was all too much for me so I give up the business a rattled mess. Yep, I had to see a pshyc because my nerves were shot and my anger through the roof.  I beat the man with the sickle though  ???
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:01 pm »
Well, worked to midnight, the last of what was the verandah is now ready for the next tip load.
Had to, the Firey's put a asbestos contaminated site notice on me, with council to follow up.

All I can say now is "What asbestos" "what verandah" ;D

Whack up some temporary fencing now and the council will be of my back before they are on it ::)

The bloke next door is a builder, its only been just over a day and he already has his repairs nearly finished, smartarse :(

Pitty she didn't wash off more speed on his joint ::)

Arh well could be worse, at least she missed my just finished new fence post :) and so did the Firey's when they winched it out :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:55:26 pm by Mick D »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
Gezus H Mick D, you have had a decent dance with the reaper mate. I've had a few myself, in particular late at night on the Pacific hwy playing with all the big trucks in my little Iveco when I did the bike transport. I've had to go bush when a B double came straight at me on my side of the road in the pouring rain. Seems he didn't want to stop overtaking the truck that was in front of him. Lucky the section of bush wasn't tree lined like the majority of the hwy. I stopped at the next rest area and got the bottle of JD that I kept for a night cap out of the Eingel.... I got pushed off the road at Goondawindi by another B double and his mate who were having a race to get into the single lane before me. That was a bumpy ride at 100k's off road with a truck full of bikes and the trailer just about full. That excursion damaged an immaculate DR600 Dakar tank when then bike came out of it's chock in the trailer and broke one of the shackles on the trailer. Cost me a day and about $500 to get the trailer fixed and a new tank for the Dakar. Had a huge caravan pull out of a rest area about 20 metres in front of me at 100k's with a car comming on the otherside. Lucky the car gave me room to get around the c@#khead with the van otherwise I would of seen the fit out inside the van. I swear there was about 20mm clearance between the three vehicles. And there were plenty of other near misses. It was all too much for me so I give up the business a rattled mess. Yep, I had to see a pshyc because my nerves were shot and my anger through the roof.  I beat the man with the sickle though  ???

Yeap, I am really starting to enjoy life since these two grand children have arrived. I am really trying to think and act to stay in one piece now, But like you say Mark,,, there are so many cockeads out there who get to play a hand in our FATE ::)

Just had contact with Firko and Matcho, unbelievable some of their near misses in microsecounds.
Anyhow we should be laughin and all, with only the good dye young thing ;D

I rarely, rarely answer the land line,,,,,,, so glad I did this time ::) 8)
I would have been FUBAR, if I hadn't.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:17:01 pm by Mick D »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:24 pm »
Yeah Mick, fate is one thing, but other people interfere with it  ::)
As for only the good dying young, lucky I was such a bastard of a kid.....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:44 pm »
don't bother buying a tatts ticket...you used up your luck!

got to be the end of it Shirley...

My old man was leaning on the back of our car which was parked out the front of our service station one hot summers nite years ago watering the nature strip with the garden hose (remember when water was free?)...
brother drives in with bucket of KFC and the old man ducks over to knick a bit of chicken when "Bang crash thump!" WTF :o ???

a wheel had fallen off a semi and rolled ~1k down the hway b4 tipping over the centre camber and flying into our place, wiping out the back quarter panel of the car where the old bloke had been leaning!

there was money changing hands at the pub up the road as they watched the wheel go past betting on where it would end up!

that was close!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:51:00 pm »
I had one a fair while ago I would have been fine but I could have claimed a riders life I was driving the ute back from SA with a bike in the back.

We came around a corner and over a bridge that narrowed in and as I have got on the bridge a bike came flying around the corner onto the bridge had it locked in I made eye contact with him you could see him waving his ass goodbye he thought he was gone I gave him every inch of road and it was still really close my dad in the passenger seat wasn't paying attention he got quite the fright when he seen the guard rail approaching him.

It is not unusual that I'd have at least one incident a week rarely a really close call but just stupid driving we cover a lot of km's between jobs there is some shocking drivers out there.

I had my old xg ute out picking up some bike stuff and came back to the shed pretty quite road some one pulled up to the intersection stopped looked left didn't look right and pulled out in front of me I was doing the speed limit that was when I fully understood the advances in new cars my xr6 ute can stop a lot quicker than my old xg.

Even had a really stupid one red p plater over took us on the black spur over double lines round a blind corner that is just insane I know they made the bulk of it double lines but we were doing the limit and there are spots you can pass safely even though it would still be illegal.
1971 tm400 and PE's