Author Topic: What could possibly go wrong?  (Read 5503 times)

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
What could possibly go wrong?
« on: March 15, 2014, 07:21:10 pm »
To cut a long story short, my 18yo son has put his car on Gumtree and got what he thinks is a seriuos nibble.
The interested person is so keen he's offered to pay more than asked because it's exactly what he's looking for, BUT.
I'm away at sea with no easy access to my bank and I need to organise transport.
Here's the suss bit, I'll transfer $1,000 above the odds into your PAYPAL acct but I'll need you to pay the transport agen direct.
My son thinks that its gotta be safe because PayPal are involved but I smell a huge Rodent because for a start we don't have an Aircraft Carrier, the last one was doomed.
I've told Tom that if it sounds TOO GOOD to be true it probably is.
Anyone heard of something simillar?   

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What could possibly go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:58 pm »
Yep 4 terxt from different people only problem was they were from same number.  Also working offshore and would agent pick up..  They all worked in the petro chemical industry working offshore (NZ)
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:35:06 pm »
Had the same exact line on a bike I had on ebay I think what the go is that they will say they are away transfer the money show up and get the bike but then retract the money who offers more than a set price??
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:18:12 pm »
Sliderulz don't do it.You will get burned. Once they've got your money you can kiss it goodbye.Generally buyers offer less than the asking price hoping to save a buck,nobody offers a grand over the advertised price.

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »
The trust of youth is my biggest problem.
My son thinks that because PayPal are involved he can't get ripped off.
I've worded a message calling this guy's bluff and so far there's been no reply.

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:52:13 pm »
talk him out of it slidey..the web is full of info on this scam if he cares to look

good luck

tony

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »
there are other threads on here about this.  Not sure of the technicalities surrounding it but until all monies clear from all banks during the transfer period - which can be as long as 45 days the money is not available to you and can be retracted by the originator.  In short meaning you see it in your account, free up item, they retract and you get left out of pocket.  Bit like the old days where you would see the funds in your account from a cheque but not available until the cheque cleared.

DO NOT DO IT!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »
You are always better to have someone come pick it up and pay cash so you have the money they can't retract cash in hand.

PayPal is a bugger how they have made a system that allows people to do stuff like that they say have fraud protection they should change it so they can't have have that happen in the first place.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 08:29:26 am »
The "shipping agent" is the key to the scam. Thats how it works, you could always take the money and not release the car unless they can show you how the "shipping agent" is a bonfide car/bike transporter, with insurances tracking etc. There was a celebrated case in the UK where someone kept their bike AND the cash.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:41 am »
We have 600 BKR6E spark plugs sitting at work for the past 2 years cause some idiot got caught out with the spark plug scam getting around. It was caught before we actually sent the plugs but needless to say our supplier wasn't all that interested in taking them back! >:( anybody want a bargain?? 600 NGK plugs for $600!!! :-\ current retail price is $4.95. That's a $2370 saving!!  Dont worry I won't bother standing by the phone waiting for your call  ;D

Cheers, Brendan
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

It's a rip off pure & simple.
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:32:01 pm »

Why would anyone go to that much trouble to buy a car..........?

On the other hand they would go to that much trouble to try and get it for free.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:18 pm »
there are a million scams like this, just don't fall for them. I got several texts from a james and a francine who both wanted to buy my bike I had advertised. they were from vastly different places in the world ....but strangely had the same phone no! when I pointed this out, they suddenly had other things to do!

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »
From what I can gather they're not after the car at all, just the $1,000.00 transfer to their " Shipping Agent ".
Thanks for your input gents.
If they send the same request out to 100 people and get 1 sucker, they've won.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »
that's it, or they pay too much into your paypal a/c (showing you a faked paypal receipt)and ask for the balance back......

they develop the themes as they go along so you've got to keep on the ball...