Author Topic: Premix in TS's  (Read 4727 times)

Tony T

Premix in TS's
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »
I picked up 3 piles of junk today (just for the 250 clutch but I had to take the lot)  ::)
They are a '72 TS125, a '77 TS185 and a '79 TS250.
Can any of these run on premix without killing a main bearing? I only ask as all 3 had the oil tanks removed and I wonder what the engines might be like.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Premix in TS's
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »
As far as I know they all had CCI, (Cylinder & crankshaft injection), if the tin oil sheild is trimmed-back on the left side of the crank flywheels then premix is ok.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »
Suzuki were pretty  indestructible as far as bottom end's were concerned due to their oiling system.... oil injection.
With it removed  I recon the LHS bearing would be pretty rooted unless modifications to cases have been performed. 

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »
Suzuki were pretty  indestructible as far as bottom end's were concerned due to their oiling system.... oil injection.
With it removed  I recon the LHS bearing would be pretty rooted unless modifications to cases have been performed.

If I had a dollar for every rooted TS I have bought with its oil tank removed by some half-wit who thought it would be "just like my mates yammie" I would have $17. My advice is change ALL the bearings and refit the oil tanks/pumps etc (if it aint broke don't fix it)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:44:01 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Pretty much what I thought but thought I'd see if I was lucky....... guess not.  :(

Simo63

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:53:38 pm »
If I had a dollar for every rooted TS I have bought with its oil tank removed by some half-wit who thought it would be "just like my mates yammie" I would have $17.

ROFL .. quote of the day award goes to you sir [claps]  ;) ;D 8)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
The 69 TS250 I picked up last year had clearly been running (for god knows how many years) without pump connected.  Is there a way you can see if the modification to the left hand bearing's been done?  I've since reconnected the pump but would be good to have an idea of whether a rebuild's in order.

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »
Next time you have the barrel off have a look to see if a hole has been drilled to LHS in cases allowing oil to feed to bearing, much the same way as later models do.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »
Next time you have the barrel off have a look to see if a hole has been drilled to LHS in cases allowing oil to feed to bearing, much the same way as later models do.

And I think you can just see the oil slinger on the crank as well. it's between the left hand crank half and the left hand main bearing
The older I get, the faster I was

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:04 am »
So you're not able to just drill it through yourself?

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:47:58 pm »
You can but you need to split the cases to remove the slinger and clean out the swarf.
The hole needs to be accurately  drilled as there's not much meat in the area and it's easy to break through, guess how I know that!
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »
After you get the slinger off don't forget to cut it down and reinstall it back on the crank
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »
All of my Suzy's I just trimmed the oil sheild plate, never drilled any holes, never had a problem with them.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:12:17 pm »
John ...next time you have the barrel off your KX, do me a favour and block the hole on  the LHS of engine case and put the barrel back on.  How long do you recon it would last before you get bearing failure. 

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:28:56 pm »
Tony
the 185A i saved from being landfill when I got it had the oil tank off and noise coming out of the maggie side bearings but I removed the banjo bolt and gave it a squirt of oil and refitted the oil tank and been going ever since. remove the maggie cover and check for c/shaft play and also how the bearing feel, be worth a go and like mine they could still be runners good enough for paddock bashing going sideways like my old 185 ; ;) ;D