Author Topic: VMX on facebook  (Read 7683 times)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
VMX on facebook
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:10:01 pm »
I copied the lead part of this from the CD 10 thread as I don't want to hijack that thread  :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/VMX-Magazine/327678172534?fref=ts

Just my 2 cents worth ,
Firstly that's the best news I have heard in ages  :) I will be doing all that's Possible to get there .

As for short notice , well I heard today on here first and then via face book , so that's 15 weeks notice or nearly 4 months or a third of a year , and that's a fair bit .

Looks like lots of new exciting plans for CD 10 according to FB .

Will be waiting for VMX #57 by the mail box to get the full low down and checking their FB page .

What great news to start a weekend on call .

In keeping with the Facebook theme .... LIKE

Simo for ages I thought  face book was the thing that kids and geeks do , and it was another Bogeyman of the modern world .

However I conceded that I should give it a go after recommendations from a number of current and former forum members .
As you well know it is an absolute treasure trove of VMX personalities , history and information and the reality is like it or not it probably is the best media tool for worldwide VMX news and interest .

Obviously there are still a number of people who feel the way I did about it 12 months ago , and I think that's a shame as they are missing out on a lot of info as well as not being able to share their knowledge with a wider audience .

Each to their own but I would say to anyone reading this , don't write it off until you have experienced it . Its not for everyone and there are many on here who cant help but read things over and over in spite of the fact that it obviously annoys the shit out of them to the point where they insist the thread is shut down .

Have a look at face book with an open mind , not as an alternative to this or any other forums but in parallel. You may like what you find and if you don't then nothing ventured nothing gained  ;) but if you don't get involved its no good moaning after the fact that you missed some information that you feel should have been available to you  :)

Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX on facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »
Bill as a bit of a laugh a Kiwi friend and myself started a page dedicated to Aprilia GP bikes. Within a month we had 300 members from current owners, the tuners, factory mechanics even down to the fellow who designed and made all the carbon fairings. What was a real buzz was to read the "who shafted who" and who still owes who money stories from back in the day from the people themselves. That's the difference with FB.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
I copied the lead part of this from the CD 10 thread as I don't want to hijack that thread  :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/VMX-Magazine/327678172534?fref=ts

Just my 2 cents worth ,
Firstly that's the best news I have heard in ages  :) I will be doing all that's Possible to get there .

As for short notice , well I heard today on here first and then via face book , so that's 15 weeks notice or nearly 4 months or a third of a year , and that's a fair bit .

Looks like lots of new exciting plans for CD 10 according to FB .

Will be waiting for VMX #57 by the mail box to get the full low down and checking their FB page .

What great news to start a weekend on call .

In keeping with the Facebook theme .... LIKE

Simo for ages I thought  face book was the thing that kids and geeks do , and it was another Bogeyman of the modern world .

However I conceded that I should give it a go after recommendations from a number of current and former forum members .
As you well know it is an absolute treasure trove of VMX personalities , history and information and the reality is like it or not it probably is the best media tool for worldwide VMX news and interest .

Obviously there are still a number of people who feel the way I did about it 12 months ago , and I think that's a shame as they are missing out on a lot of info as well as not being able to share their knowledge with a wider audience .

Each to their own but I would say to anyone reading this , don't write it off until you have experienced it . Its not for everyone and there are many on here who cant help but read things over and over in spite of the fact that it obviously annoys the shit out of them to the point where they insist the thread is shut down .

Have a look at face book with an open mind , not as an alternative to this or any other forums but in parallel. You may like what you find and if you don't then nothing ventured nothing gained  ;) but if you don't get involved its no good moaning after the fact that you missed some information that you feel should have been available to you  :)

Sooo many Likes Bill :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »
I was dragged kicking and screaming into facebook, protesting to anyone who'd listen that it was a haven for air heads and whingers. Well, I now publicly admit that I was very wrong. Sure the airheads and whingers are still there but I've also discovered that it's a great communication tool and a brilliant way of keeping friends and family informed on what's going on in our lives. For example, I've used facebook to let friends, family and anyone interested of my old Mums progress since her bad stroke six weeks ago and have even started a thread on my little dog Reg's health trials and tribulations which has had some funny replies and interest from people I never expected. I've made contact with schoolmates and friends from half a century ago, I've reconnected with old wives and girlfriends and even my old landlady from when I lived in California is a friend again. It's a treasure chest of VMX and VDT communication that spreads even wider than this forum ever could. The OzVMX forum still plays an extremely important part in the Aussie VMX culture but facebook opens up our VMX network to an even larger audience.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:40:00 pm »
I was dragged kicking and screaming into facebook, protesting to anyone who'd listen that it was a haven for air heads and whingers. Well, I now publicly admit that I was very wrong. Sure the airheads and whingers are still there but I've also discovered that it's a great communication tool and a brilliant way of keeping friends and family informed on what's going on in our lives. For example, I've used facebook to let friends, family and anyone interested of my old Mums progress since her bad stroke six weeks ago and have even started a thread on my little dog Reg's health trials and tribulations which has had some funny replies and interest from people I never expected. I've made contact with schoolmates and friends from half a century ago, I've reconnected with old wives and girlfriends and even my old landlady from when I lived in California is a friend again. It's a treasure chest of VMX and VDT communication that spreads even wider than this forum ever could. The OzVMX forum still plays an extremely important part in the Aussie VMX culture but facebook opens up our VMX network to an even larger audience.
+ 1

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
Pity the WA Govt won't let us look whilst at work.. :o

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:19:21 pm »
They are always looking my friend ..... everything  goes to and stored  to Prism /NSA 

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:27:54 am »
Personally I have found farcebook invaluable when wanting to make contact with the guys I grew up racing with in SoCal.  Sadly a lot are no longer around but it is amazing who remembers who when they see a picture from a race at one of the many tracks no longer with us.

Much like forums there are a fair number of drongos out there but you can filter them out easy enough.  Want a contact for new CZ parts? ..... piece of cake, just hit CZ Motocross Vintage Evo Twinshock.  Need a hard to find Bultaco part, then the Bultaco group is the deal.
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
Hmm, I have to admit that I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to facebook and all that goes with it. Maybe it's about time I joined the modern age and get onto this facebook thing......
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:03:13 am »
Pity the WA Govt won't let us look whilst at work.. 
Buy a computer for home you cheap arse........now, back to work >:(.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:23 pm »
Hmm, I have to admit that I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to facebook and all that goes with it. Maybe it's about time I joined the modern age and get onto this facebook thing......
I started on face ache a while back and had a look, the next day I looked and lo and behold there was a message to tell quote Two hot chicks want to be your friend! I immediately thought what the :;,. Is this crap? I'm an old fart with several grand kids and proceeded to experience impossibility of removing ones self from this stupidity. However I eventually got back on and wading in through the occasional stupidity find it is worthwhile and an easy way of remaInin g connected to people, I care about and even remaking long lost connections.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 12:28:39 pm »
I started on face ache a while back and had a look, the next day I looked and lo and behold there was a message to tell quote Two hot chicks want to be your friend! I immediately thought what the :;,. Is this crap? I'm an old fart with several grand kids and proceeded to experience impossibility of removing ones self from this stupidity. However I eventually got back on and wading in through the occasional stupidity find it is worthwhile and an easy way of remaInin g connected to people, I care about and even remaking long lost connections.

Pancho that was similar to my first excursion into face book, and like you I found it hard to get out once I had signed up .

I did eventually get my account closed first time round . I then went through the motions of paranoia , the big brother is watching etc , then I conceded that Govt agencies can take a look at me should they choose through any number of sources so why worry .

That's when I resigned  up after encouragement from mates etc . Take it for what it is social media , and to those who think its a spy hole for big brother , it probably is but its just one of many  ;)
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »
How's the little Minah bird going Bill?

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 01:33:54 pm »
ok just joined up there is a load of info on it but the amount of garbage is a lot too .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:20:47 pm »
Welcome aboard Iain