Author Topic: painting plastics  (Read 1807 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
painting plastics
« on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:05 am »
well i've searched my way through all the old material here and havn't quite found what i'm looking for,
so,
whats the good products? has anyone found a good etch primer to start things off?
just painting old sidepanels at this stage and am not really after the super bling look but it'd be nice if the paint stays on long enough to offer some sort of decent life span.
whats the best method fella's?
"flat bickie"

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: painting plastics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »
There are plastic primers available in pressure pack can, I used some a few years back when respraying the sidecovers on one of my SR500 Yamahas.  It worked ok and the paint is still in good nick after 6 years.  I can't remember what brand it was, but I just bought it from one of the local auto stores.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:59:38 pm »
not too much of a help but we had a similar thread - I remember Krylon being the paint I think and something "Rhino" being the plastic etch primer.

Maybe google those and see what you gt.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:04:53 pm »
i've got a heap of side panels i'm wanting to do.
set one has just been done via the following and has come up pretty nice,
scotch pad with jiff-scrub like buggery till your arms are about to fall off!
cleaned with turps and soft t-shirt cloth,
a very light coat of etch primer-all purpose steel septone etch from a can,
a sprinkle of spray putty in a couple of the gouges that were present,
a light sand with 240 paper,
another wipe with turps and cloth,
then a heap of topcoats {3~4} out in the sun with a warm can of vinyl gloss black.
i'll road test these ones for a bit before i do the rest just to see how they hold up.
"flat bickie"

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:51 pm »
The easiest way to paint plastics at home is scotch brite panels so there  dull all over, spray 2 coats off plastic primer over top, let it dry, then spray your colour over the top,
some auto paint shops can mix most car colours up and put it in a pressure pack can, if you do this you can get them to add some flex aid to the colour befor they put it in pressure can, this will make the paint flexible and not brittle, as that is the main problem with paint cracking over plastic,