Author Topic: Best kids bike.  (Read 4882 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Best kids bike.
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:53 am »

A friend of my wife was around today and while they were catching up her husband came out to the workshop with me.  When he saw my bikes he asked me what would be the best bike for him the buy for his 9 year old son.  Some of the kids mates ride and he wants to be able to ride with them.  Well it's been a while since I actually thought about kids bikes and I don't know much about the latest Chinese stuff and so wouldn't like to recommend  them even though they might be the cheapest. 
    So what would be the best way for him to go?  Apparently the kid is a sporty type so he should pick it up pretty quick and this bloke thinks he might have already been riding his mates bikes. Any ideas and maybe what he might have to pay.
  I'm not interested in buying a bike at the moment, just told him I would let him know what I found out on here.
                    Zane   
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Frank M

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Best kids bike.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:22 am »
if he has some experience in riding (clutch, shifting) the Yamaha TTR125 is a very reliable and easy to ride beginner bike.
The TTR can be pimped with YZ80 parts (suspension), smaller or bigger Wheels are available and the prices for used bikes are stable.

Do him a favour and buy not one of these chinese rockets...

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:56:57 am »
9y/o it has to be the SUZUKI JR80 same motor forks wheels as the DS 80 from the 70s, 80s, 90s,
Super reliable, oil injection, 5 speed with manual clutch, under $2,500 and just right from 8 to 12year olds. TTR is good for 11 to 14 y/olds

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:38:35 am »
if they want a more MX type bike a KX65 is good choice my daughter had one when she was 9, depends alot on the kid , how big he is etc.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:03 am »
Your are right,
But a high HP / Powerband type is a second bike
Start out sedate / low maintainence then progress to a race bike,
Zane if they are from the Coalfields see Wato
If they are closer to me call me

Offline rough rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:16:06 am »
drz 125 ?

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:46 am »
I just bought a 2002 model RT100 for my missus, bloody great bike and perfect amount of power. Plus its air cooled, twin shock and drum braked!  ;D A forgotten modern gem

http://www.dirtriderz.com/topic/7748-i-finally-caved-and-bought-her-one/
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:09 am »
get an xr 80 or xr 100, perfect starter bike, soft power forgiving nature and very easy to move on when he grows up

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:31 am »
get an xr 80 or xr 100, perfect starter bike, soft power forgiving nature and very easy to move on when he grows up

Yep, My daughter had a 65 mx'er and hated it, I got her a xr/crf 80 and she wants to ride it every bloody day...

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:50:02 am »
I gave my daughter a xr100 for xmas as her first ride and its great.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:18:39 am »
This is a complicated question.  Because it depends on experience and whether or not the rider/child is likely to want to go further.  Either way at 9 years old the bike needs to be at least a 90 (TTR 90) etc.  All of the Japanese manufacturers have a good range of what are called play bikes.  The TTR 90 is automatic.  If the rider can use a clutch or can learn to use one the range opens up a lot more.  TTR 125 Yamaha DRZ 125 KLX 140 CRF150 etc.  Get the play bike first, but be prepared to have to up grade to a MX bike if the rider wants to go faster.  The play bikes don't take kindly to being used as MX bikes.  There probably is good 2nd hand play bikes available.  Either way stay clear of the cheap imports and Pit Bikes etc they are getting better but the Japanese brands are still better value for money.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 02:53:15 pm »
This is a complicated question.

Indeed it is, as it depends on a number of complicated factors: age, experience, size, aptitude, interest, budget, etc, etc.

I was interested to read your assessment of the RT100 Rookie#1, as it's one that's been on my radar as a learner bike for some time now. Doesn't quite suit at the moment, but definitely one to keep in mind. 

Anyone remember the DR100? It'd be a cool bike for an older kid if you could find one in good nick.

Tex

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:17 am »
Best is his dad takes him to all the bike shops and try on the bikes for size. Make a choice of a few then shop for a used one. Stick with the major brands. Even the best of the Chinese made bikes will need much more attention. Not having to hear "Dad...dad...dad...DAAAAAAD.. when are you going to fix my bike.....dad." Every bloody weekend is worth the few extra dollars for a quality bike.  In fact I reckon it's worth about three grand more.

Another mistake I see a lot of parent do is buy them a helmet, riding pants and jersey and send them off riding in runners and no armour. Tell him to save the money on looking the part and buy good boots and body armour instead.

Don't buy a cool older bike, what you think is awsome, kids will think is crappy. Kids want what's current.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:31:44 am »
Can't go past a CRF Honda. They go forever, are easy to maintain and easy to re sell when the need comes. Personally, I wouldn't go buying a race bred thing to start with. I wouldn't buy a brand new bike either, simply because some kids think it's great to ride a bike UNTIL they fall off. Some kids can deal with pain, and others simply refuse to get back on the horse. I've seen it plenty of times.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:49:14 am »
Agree TBM, I picked up a cheap TTR90 because the dad bought a bike that was too big for a 6 year old. Fell off once and wouldn't get on it again. Wanted to buy a PS3 with the money. Dad was devastated. But you can't expect your kids to follow your passions either.