Author Topic: MEga 2 250 info  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
MEga 2 250 info
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »

Hi Gents, couple of questions,

can anyone tell me the correct NGK plug for Mega 2 250 ? has a B8ES at the moment.

correct procedure for measuring chain slack on these? (have about 40mm slack with both wheels on ground at the moment.)

Also gearbox capacity and which is correct drain plug?

AND the jetting you are using with a 38mm Bing on this engine?  All stock.

Should have some pics up on the weekend, freshly arrived from chilly Canada! Thanks, once again to Maurice & Don R. AND Darren Cheney, Darren makes it all too easy ........

thanks for your help,
Kt.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: MEga 2 250 info
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Fantastic :)

Congratulations, I'll bet your rapt to get this one in the shed  ;D

Geoff

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, i surely am!  Its a nice one too, just have to get some pics up on the weekend so you all can drool!

Wayne.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:12 pm »
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, i surely am!  Its a nice one too, just have to get some pics up on the weekend so you all can drool!

Wayne.

waiting........ ;D

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 06:53:09 pm »
later this week Geoff, the camera is shagged!!

Kt.

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:15:22 pm »

Hi Gents, couple of questions,

can anyone tell me the correct NGK plug for Mega 2 250 ? has a B8ES at the moment.

correct procedure for measuring chain slack on these? (have about 40mm slack with both wheels on ground at the moment.)

Also gearbox capacity and which is correct drain plug?

AND the jetting you are using with a 38mm Bing on this engine?  All stock.

Should have some pics up on the weekend, freshly arrived from chilly Canada! Thanks, once again to Maurice & Don R. AND Darren Cheney, Darren makes it all too easy ........

thanks for your help,
Kt.
The tightest part of any bike chain is when the centre of the front cog is in a straight line with the centre of the rear axle ,
put the bike on a level stand and take the rear shocks off and raise the wheel up you will see the slack tighten up.(as a test )
 You can sit on it with the shocks on and try and get the swing straight till to get a straight line for the right slack..
I have seen some check there chain slack while the bike is on a stand , but they don't realise when they sit on it and the wheel travels up the chain will tighten up a lot. hope this helps , look for around 15mm 20mm chain slack at its tightest part of the stroke.

I took my shocks off pushed the swing arm up until I found the tightest part of the chain then adjusted my slack and I use a small straight edge custom made to get the rear sprocket straight with the front one , don't go off you numbers on the chain pullers for straightness.
then I put the shocks back on , I made a small alloy bar that's sits on top of the swing arm and it has to touch the chain while the bike is on a stand , if this measurement is right while the bike is on a stand , the chain measurement  slack will be right when the chain is at it tightest. this just makes it easy to check slack without sitting, pulling down on the rear to check chain slack.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:32:42 pm by mick25 »

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:01 am »

Thanks Mick25.  That's how i have done it, book says around 50mm but picture of exact Maico recommended is poor quality so cannot see how "they" recommended it, was hoping somone might have known.

All 3 pivots in line with 15mm free play gives about 50mm  half way between counter shaft sprocket and wheel pivot and about a "finger width" between lower chain run and under side of swingarm again at about half way between the two sprockets.

Thanks again for the reply, everyone else must be too busy!

Kt