Author Topic: eBay shipping rippoff.  (Read 6945 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
eBay shipping rippoff.
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:09:53 pm »
I recently paid $9.99 Buy it Now for a book on eBay and unfortunately I was a bit quick and preoccupied with something else and missed that the seller wanted $62.95 shipping to OZ. I'd been looking at another copy going for the same price with $16.70 shipping and somehow got them arse about confused. I was a bit pissed with myself but decided to cop it and pay the shipping and be done with it, putting it down to my stuff up and writing it off to experience. Well, the book arrived today and the bloody thing had a $23.50 stamp on it. The bloke has stiffed me nearly $40. Add the $40 odd markup on the original shipping and he's hit me approximately $80 over the scale to ship a ten buck book. I'm not usually one to stir up this stuff but this bloke has taken greed to a new level. Enough is enough. Here's a copy of the eBay communication I sent him, it'll be Interesting to see if he bothers to reply............................

Dear challenge247,
Hi, thank you for the prompt shipping of my purchase. I'm more than a bit disturbed however to discover that after paying an extremely exorbitant $62.95 to ship the book, it arrived with a $23.50 stamp on it. I'm not very happy with being ripped for nearly $40 and if a refund of the outstanding fee isn't given...or at least some sort of believable excuse given forthwith I'll be forced to report this transaction to eBay and post a negative feedback. Ironically, I only paid the over priced shipping in the first place because I hit the buy button a bit early, before I discovered that other sellers were offering shipping for $10 and $16.70 respectively. I bit the bullet and paid and would have shined it on as my mistake but then to find that you've pulled a swifty on top of everything, well, that tipped it over the fairness meter......I await your reply and reimbursement.............sincerely, Mark Firkin 

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: eBay shipping rippoff.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »
Most guys would never have charged you that ridiculous amount in the first place Mark. They would of sought the real cost and put it onto you.
I have had overpriced shipping amounts corrected by sending an email prior to making payment. And on the other hand, I've had refunds put into my paypal before I even have a chance to whinge.

I hope the guy does the right thing and give you your $40 back. Good chance he will based on my experiences.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:46 pm »
In 1412 eBay transactions I reckon I could count the number that have screwed me on one hand. I'd have asked for a proper shipping cost if I'd been awake enough to realise that I had bid and paid for the wrong book. That's what I get for after midnight eBay shopping to try and cure insomnia....the brain is rarely in gear. While it's a lot of money to go down over...I'm not all that worried about the money per se, it's more about the principle.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »
I reckon your way of curing insomnia is still probably cheaper than mine. Several frothy cold ones do the trick for a good few hours sleep but geez it gets expensive.

The principal of any matter is what gets me too, no doubt like most of us. I wouldn't be able to let it go if that makes you feel any better. I hate being ripped off.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:49:00 pm »
mark
what about the seller that wanted 25.00 just to go to the usps store just to get a price to ship to australia
stuffed him up good time emailed a freind in las vagas were i will be in july sent it there at his cost as he had free usa shipping.how much dose a 60t alloy sprocket for a bsa way anyway.
jim

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
....and on the other side of the coin, He was open and transparent about the charges Firko, you choose to push the buy it now button.
There are a million things on ebay that are over priced ($500 Maico foot pegs come to mind), It's up to the purchaser to determine if they want to pay that price or not. You, albeit mistakenly, did.
He's not greedy, you where just asleep at the wheel...
Just saying is all.

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 04:49:27 pm »

Feel for you Mark, similar to my O ring experience, i knew the charge though, BUT when i gave him good feedback but only "so so" on the shipping he emailed me about a half dozen times and in the end became quite unfriendly so you can imagine my reply.

Rogues in all walks of life mate,live and learn i guess, although i DO hope he refunds some money for you, i really could do with some of my faith in human-kind being boosted today.

Kt.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:41:17 pm »
I'm not defending the seller but maybe it took 10 minutes of his time to pack the book plus there's a cost with the packaging materials. Maybe he then had to drive, 5, 10, 15 or perhaps even 30 minutes to the closest post office, park his car stand in line, etc, etc, etc. No matter which way you look at it, there has to be at least 1/2 an hour of handling time which may well account for the $40 odd dollars over the actual postage fee. He possibly could have explained things a bit better.
I have a post office 3 klms away from me but be damned if I can get there & back in less than 30 minutes anytime of the day, any day. Especially bad on Thursdays.
K

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »
You do have to be careful I have had some refund me some without even being asked as they just guestimated etc.

I got caught on some JT gear as I thought I will just buy it from the same seller and they will ship it all in one box they did ship it all together and I thought it was rude they didn't discount it I just had to deal with it.

I have a lot of times had it come and the price is on and different but when I have sold I have just guessed roughly and that is what I made shipping whether it cost me less or more.
1971 tm400 and PE's

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »
Mark... the trend at the moment is they use the "Global shipping program"   most probably owned by ebay   which makes  them a 5 star rated seller  .... this is how you Fluck the over, have it sent to a PO box if you have second thoughts about postage  ;) as they can't mail to PO boxes   and will have to review their postage costs.

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:18 pm »
I had one clown on EBay try to rip me off $20 after he promised to refund me the money for combined postage of 4 items That I purchased from him.   He totally ignored the messages I sent him asking for my refund.....I thought "this guy is a complete moron" as he had only made 6 other EBay transactions.   So what did I do ? I hit him with 4 lots of negative feedback...
We'll he responded real bloody quick after that and begged me to remove the negative feedback, which I couldn't do even if I wanted to......

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:43 pm »
I was charged $90 US postage for a front mudguard about 12 months ago. The seller was adamant that It was $90 postage, and needing one, I paid the price. When it arrived here the postage sticker was $46.50 No communication after item was purchased and no adjustment in postage costs so he got bad feedback re postage costs. If the postage price is close to what you pay, thats fine, but when this happens they deserve negative feedback to warn other potential buyers.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:02 pm »
I just bought a PVL ignition for my RD project from a guy in Hawaii. The shipping costy was $52, however when I won the ignition the shipping suddenly jumped to $72 because the seller added an additional $20 for shipping. I emailed him and he thought he was just shipping to mainland US as that was the address that ebay gave him - this is all because ebay decided to use the global shipping program. So my ignition, although halfway here already, gets shipped back to the states at my cost and then shipped it out to me, again at my cost. Called ebay and after a long wait the jerk on the other end tells me that the global shipping program is very good. I tell him what I think and the conversation ends. From now on I'll keep an eye out for the global shipping icon and avoid it like the plague as it just adds cost and time onto any purchase. On the bright side, the guy I bought the ignition from was very aplogetic and sympathetic and turned out to be a real good guy. He builds custom bikes and has a couple of nice Yamaha twin flattrackers so we are comparing ideas. He emailed me a couple of photos that I'll post up later.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 10:33:01 pm »
....and on the other side of the coin, He was open and transparent about the charges Firko, you choose to push the buy it now button.
There are a million things on ebay that are over priced ($500 Maico foot pegs come to mind), It's up to the purchaser to determine if they want to pay that price or not. You, albeit mistakenly, did.
He's not greedy, you where just asleep at the wheel...
You're missing my point Evo. I was content to cop the $63 shipping as, like you say it was my fault for falling on the buy it now button. What I was complaining about is that he charged me $63 and the package had a $23.50 stamp on it. All's well now......he's reimbursed me 39.45 which I missed when I checked my Paypal account.

Hello Mark,
Thank you for confirming that you have received the book. The excess postage you paid was refunded on the very date that the item was shipped. A total amount of $39.45, which equates to the excess postage paid was refunded to you via Paypal on 02/03/14. I have attached two pictures - a screenshot from the date of refund and one from today re-verifying the amount clearing my account. Please check your account or with Paypal to confirm why you have not received it. I always refund my clients excess postage - depriving them would result in just the response I got from you and that would not be good for my business! Please confirm once you have determined the status of the refund.
Best regards,
Ron

Offline enzo906

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
Find a friend in the states with social media or something and have them mail it to you I  future
Safer cheaper and a lot faster.

Side note - A whole bike in a crate will only cost $1000 flown over inside a week by UPS (UPS 800 crate 200) you can even tell east coast Vintage to do that for you instead of there 2000 plus shipped via boat offer. (based on Au $ and prices in 2011 so add a bit more now)