Author Topic: what size press for doing crankshafts?  (Read 9443 times)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
what size press for doing crankshafts?
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:38:58 pm »
gunna buy or make a press and need to know what size press in tons and width of table etc I need for doing crankshafts with? spoke to some car mechanic mates and they say 10 ton is good for doing axle bearings with.  ive got a 19 foot lump of 8 inch c section that I could use for the uprights and top section and got plenty of other bits of angle iron etc so other then a suitable jack there wouldn't be much to buy and my fitting tafe teacher likes it when I make things for home instead of the fixed/set jobs the apprentices have to do.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: what size press for doing crankshafts?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 07:26:25 am »
20 ton is better than a 10, but to cranks and not make it an all day job there are a few other bits of tooling you will need , like a $100 copper hammer, 2 dial indicators ,press jigs, web holders and centres. All for a job that you can get completed to a very high standard for $50. Press is a worthwhile item to make you would need some 20/25mm plate for the bed and best to have some mechanical means of lifting that bed up and down.   
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:07 am »
10 and 20 ton presses are great for doing general "light" fitting, transmission bearings etc. One of the most important skill requirements for a fitter to develop is what is known as a "feel".

10 to 20ton presses give a great feedback feel to the operator, imperative to instantly recognize if there is adequate "interference" between the two components, nine out of ten times, the preferred quickest path to getting a job done.
But if no resistance (interference) is felt, one must then disassemble, and precision measure to identify the offending component which has caused the lack of interference.

When it comes to presses for crankshaft pins, bigger is better. When a small inadequate press struggles, it spring loads the frame of the press instead and when the energy does lets go, it moves with a jump and a cracking bang. Definitely not preferred for a quick stress-free precision crankshaft outcome.

A twenty tonner will get most 125 crankshafts done reasonably OK without too much stress, but for a quality outcome of bigger more stubborn Maico's cranks etc, a 50tonner makes it a stress free walk in the park.

If you are building a press for heavier cranks? then the more rigid the frame, the better.
If the C section you have is heavy thick flanged cold rolled channel? then you can give the first step a tick.

Good luck Matt.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:24:02 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »
waited 6mths for a 20tonner at toolies in gateshead,every 2nd man & his dog must have a press in their shed in the Newie locale,always sold out their 10/20T press shipments soon as they hit the floor, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »
I can probably get exactly the same one for you much cheaper at cost Mick.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:07:23 pm »
30 ton air over oil  does it for me.

Offline brucey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:13 pm »
I made a 10 tonne and its done me fine for my small cranks built so far CT YZ etc i made a copy of a clarke 10 tonne Bench Press i use a porta power etc

My oil / pump cylinder sits on the front of the bench and i pass fork tubes through the frame

Piccy

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-csa10bb-10-tonne-hydraulic-bench-press

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:19 pm »

I don't want to get into a mines bigger than yours game but my 100 tonner handles just about anything.

Zane

Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
Good on ya, now I've got hydraulic press envy :-\

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:21:27 pm »
That's a nice set up you have there Zane.
Do you use a ladder to get the ladder down :o

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:48:54 pm »

Mick those long ladders come in handy sometimes but it's hard to find a place for them to live in between jobs

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:55 pm »
Nice press Zane.
I have been doing cranks for the last 40 odd years and I reckon you need a 30 ton plus press to enable you to rebuild a variety of size cranks. I currently have cheap Chinese 30t with a 50t jack turned upside down and revalved to run that way. This press works great for cranks. I have just bought a 63t electric over hydraulic to do some bending work but will eventually set it up to do cranks also.

Stan.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »
thanks fella's for your replies and words of wisdom that ill make a 50 tonner up and copy the 60 tonner at tafe where I can and im sure my teacher can give me plenty of advise when im making it. ive also got a geared boat winch/inch and 3/4 nch plate and made pressing plates so major costs will be the 50t jack which will be cheaper then a made up 20t press I saw on epay and will be a useful addition to my lathe an drill press ive had for years. im sure once ive got it ill find a lot of uses for it other then doing cranks and car axle bearings with it

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »

Matt once you have one you can find a 100 uses for it.  If you make up a blade and vee block they make a great metal folder and plate or flat bar bender, I also use mine to hold jobs while I work on them.
                                                                                                                                    Zane

Offline Michael Moore

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Euro Spares
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 05:18:56 am »
Here are a couple of photos of the press brake attachment I made.  I got the urethane press block at what I thought was a reasonable price off of eBay.  I have enough fingers to go the whole width, from about 1" to 6-8" wide.

cheers,
Michael
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:08:57 pm by Michael Moore »