Author Topic: A non vintage Quad question.  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
A non vintage Quad question.
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:20:24 pm »
I ask here because of the accumulated experience and knowledge you crusty ones aquire over time.
Any tips for a good quad; or rather is there any I should avoid?

The well meaning neighbour has lent a Honda quad to my boy (his first time on anything resembling a motorcycle) and I can't get him off it.

After his Mum scared the crap out of him - picture boy hanging like a cape from Mum's shoulders - I toned it down and eased him into it. Like I said, now I can't peel him off it.

With a birthday in August I'm anticipating the hints...
Any advice would be appreciated. It was also my first ride on a quad.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: A non vintage Quad question.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:34:37 pm »
buy the boy a neck brace support do-hicky and tell him no brace,no ride.

Them quads can really nail you when they bite back.

As for brands,probably stick with one of the Jap brands and if buying s/hand be aware that the independant rear ends have many parts to wear out(bushes,sleeves,cv joints,rubbers,uni's etc)
And pull the airbox lid off and check for an oiled filter,we see so many with a dry foam full of dust ::)

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:09:33 pm »
Mainly stay away from the cheap chiese shit. All the small Jab ones are OK even the Polarus is good for the money. How old is he.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 06:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the tips.
To be honest I can't imagine ever buying a Chinese motorcycle; that's a given.
I have a fair amount of contact with Chinese and there's just something they don't seem to get.
They can replicate anything to the finest detail; and the prototype will be schmicko.
But once the deal is set the replicas turn up made of the poorest quality material.
I don't know what that's about...well I s'pose it's economics but shit, money's not everything!

My boy is 'small' 13. A small chubby 13...
I was wondering about the neck guard - and the helmet for that matter.
I suppose I'm as complacent as anyone when it comes to low speed poodling around the back paddock.
The Quads Owner reckons shaft drive is a way better option than chain drive.
Would you agree?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:12 pm »
:o Graeme, you have a back paddock! VMX utopia!!  :D I've a mate with a chain drive quad and he hasn't had a prob with the chain and I don't believe this would be an issue. Pro's and con's with both. Definately go the helmet and neck brace, last thing you'd want is the young bloke to be pile driven by a quad even at low speed with no protection. I was 'never' allowed to ride without at least a helmet, jeans and boots ;)

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 10:26:03 am »
With the neck brace thing I always wear a EVS neck roll as does my 7year old doughter. But last week end a mate of mine I ride with has a suz LTR 450 quad rolled it over himself. He wears a leat brace. Broke the back section. $70 fixed ready to protect again. His neck is NOT sore just his sholders a bit tender. I would hate to see what would of happened wth no brace. Leat $700 neck$???????????????. At his age he MAY be able to go to something like the Yamaha 250 Raptor. But check. This bike is awsome. My mates wife has one. She also has a Honda TRX 250 that she is thinking of selling if it iterested.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:11:12 am »
Now we're gettin' serious!

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:42:49 am »
whats your budget wombat ???

any of the 250cc japanese 4 stroke semi sport quads would be ideal   , honda trx250 , suzuki ltz250 , kawasaki mojave 250 , kawasaki lakota 300 , - all these are mild 4 strokes with low maintaiance but with OK suspension & good looks ,

go for one of this type if your budget can stretch to it , will even look good in the garage

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:49:42 am »
Thanks for that. You've pretty much confirmed what I was leaning towards.
A Japanese 250 four stroke sounds ideal; I think the one he's borrowed fits that tag.

Ah the budget...the bloke next door gets his Quads from the Auctions.
He's a registered Dealer so it could work out pretty well. 

The worn bits as alerted by gorby is a fair consideration too.
With Auctions the bikes are often there as a result of some poor bugger having run out of cash, and not necessarily flogged out.