Author Topic: Vintage Everything  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Vintage Everything
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »
Funny how Nostalgia creeps into all facets of your life.  I'm not only riding Vintage MX bikes, but now that I'm sitting out racing until June, I went back to golfing a bit.  I'm using Ping Eye 2 wedges, Anser putter and early Callaway Big Bertha irons.  Modern courses are not that much different than the old ones, so my Vintage clubs work just fine.

Anyone else use older clubs when you play a round or just collect golf clubs?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:50:13 pm by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Everything
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »
It's an age thing Jay. My clubs are old Sammy Snead heavyweights plus a variety of Spalding and McGregor woods, all from the fifties and sixties I got at a garage sale back in the 80's for no other reason than that they were left handed and in AI condition. My mates and I went through a big golf craze in the 90's but now only have a once a year hit every August. I'm still pretty hopeless everywhere except the 19th fairway.

It's not just us old Baby Boomers that are floating in a sea of nostalgia, Gen X&Y are getting nostalgic for the past too. I heard on the radio the other day how first release I phones and Blackberry telephones are fast becoming 'must have' collector items. Some bright young things, bless their pointed little heads, have deemed these items to be cool and the thing to be seen texting or doing whatever people do with such items. Some genius is even offering a service to fit current tech Android or I phone electronics into old Nokia Brick bodies for that true retro nostalgia impact. I have an 80's Nokia brick in use on my desk as a paper weight...Now what if.............
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:24:17 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:48:00 pm »
I guess my clubs are 20 year plus now but there still TI and CF
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:17 pm »
bought my set of bats (golf clubs) about 15 yrs ago, 7 irons 2 woods all with cane shafts each came with  hand knitted numbered head cover,lovely vinyl bag and buggy and a few dozen wooden tees-$20 the lot.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:34 am »
I used to play golf a bit. Now I live on a golf course and don't play....haha
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:40 am »
Show me a golf course and I will show you a potential MX track! J

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:26 am »

:D :D :D :D ;D.... I could tell a few stories of my misspent youth around Eastlakes in NSW but I won't....
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:31:01 am »
I could tell you about a golf course and Magoos wake,but I believe the statue of limitations is still to kick in  ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:17:51 am »
I could tell a few stories of my misspent youth around Eastlakes in NSW but I won't
I could too....In my early teens I caddied on weekends at Bonnie Doon golf course for pocket money. Being an exclusive members only course, the miserable pricks going rate was 1 pound ($2) for 18 holes or 10 bob ($1) for 9. To make it worse, many of the tight arse millionaire members didn't own golf carts so I had to carry their flucking clubs for 18 holes. One day I caddied for TV star Bobby Limb and he tipped me $2, doubling my pay ;D. That was much better than when I caddied for the then police commissioner who, at the 19th hole and ready to get my pay, told me to wait while he went to the toilet. After an hour I realised that he'd ducked out the side door and stiffed me of my 2 bucks. I hated that job which probably left me with a life long dislike of the game and why I was never very good at it. :(
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:04 am »
Back in the mid 70's  a mate cut a couple of laps of Croydon golf "track" on his Yamaha 250. Big Police investigation code of silence evoked no charges laid but plenty of rumours. I may be one of those that knows the truth! J

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »

Yep, Golf courses are great on an Mx bike, I once spent a very nice 15 minutes on a freshly closed golf course on my then new YZ80A, it had closed for good so I thought lets RIDE!  I am now living not far from Leonay course and waiting for the day a RM500D gets to sample the green!!!! :)  Cant be that long, they don't make a profit and the land would be worth a motza these days.......

Kt.

Offline MauriceR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:46 am »
Have you guys seen this commercial of pro golfer Ricky Fowler

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ta0TeTOm7eA

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:33 am »
I used to play golf a bit. Now I live on a golf course and don't play....haha

Me too Ted.  It has been six years since I last played a round or even hit a golf ball.  I am a par 5 away from the clubhouse.  My oldest daughter is 7 y.o., I wonder if that has something to do with it.
 ;)

I also live a quarter mile from a go kart track and they have a "Vintage Kart" division.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:19:10 am by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:39:39 am »
Ahh, Bonnie Doon, that's what the course was called. It was right next to an ex garbage tip where we used to ride our minibikes. The constabulary never used to bother us back then, until a few deviates thought it would be fun to use a few of the bunker edges as jumps as there was very little to jump off at the tip. It just so happened the greens were the landing place. Geez, big messes were made of some greens....and we were wondering why golfers were hiding in bushes and taking big swings with their clubs....I don't think anybody realised how much work went into creating a good green, we were just kids left to our own devices on motorbikes. The big guy on the CT110 postie bike chasing us was fun though. Eventually someone got poleaxed by a rope held up by a couple of golfers and that put a stop to any more GolfMX. Not only did the kid end up in Prince Henry Hospital, he also had to face the magistrate. We had to go to Tempe tip soon after as they put up a big fence around our old tip. Kids....who'd have 'em
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.