Author Topic: Dirt Track History, who can help?  (Read 10436 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Dirt Track History, who can help?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:39 pm »
Guys I've been approached by Grant O'Brien who is doing a feature for Transmoto about the Troy Bayliss Classic. He's chasing some background info for a sidebar to the article about the track surface.

The sort of thing he's after is

"the origins of oiled tracks, how they came about, what's the purpose, benefits, when did they stop using oil, how many oiled tracks left in Oz etc".   

I've offered up a little info but I thought the collective historical knowledge from this forum could help substantially. So, let's have it. Why DO we have oiled dirt tracks, do we know how they came about and what's the story these days?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Track History, who can help?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
Graeme, Could you give me a call, re your post, on 48 345 291 Please ?
Foss

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:19 pm »
Now? or tomorrow sometime, what suits you?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
Now would be fine , if that's ok with you, mate
Foss

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:02 pm »
Hi Graeme, basically as I've heard it Short Circuit originally came about because of the lack of suitable road circuits, oil was used originally to keep the dust down then over time they found that when it became hard packed it was similar to a bitumen surface.
Foss would know better than me and I can put you onto Les Burdus who was a leading rider throughout that era.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:27:19 pm »
Hi Graeme, basically as I've heard it Short Circuit originally came about because of the lack of suitable road circuits, oil was used originally to keep the dust down then over time they found that when it became hard packed it was similar to a bitumen surface.
That's pretty much how I believe the oiled surface evolved. Back in the dark old days road racing was the king so dirt track oiled tracks became, in a way, road racings surrogate little brother...hence the name short circuit. The oiled surface is sadly becoming a thing of the past in these environmentally sensitive times.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:31 pm »
Yeah, thanks guys. Just talked to Foss who gave me the potted version. Gotta say I never knew it had arisen as 'Miniature TT'.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
Dust suppression. They used to use it on dirt roads in most regional areas due to the lack of available water and it's far superior as a dust suppressant. MA tried to delete all the oil tracks about 3 years ago and I think there are about 6 in NSW and 1 in Queensland. The Western NSW tracks don't have access to water hence they continue to use oil. Turns out it helps out with surface consistency as well, wether it be a hard packed surface or loose. IMO the best scenario is a hard packed base with 50mm loose oiled dirt on the surface.

Action Park Raceway was established in 1969 and oil has been used since it's beginnings. From my experience with the track and talking to the guys that work and maintain it the oil is generally no more than 1-2 inches deep despite ripping and tilling and pumping vast quantities of oil into the ground at much greater depths. When the oiled dirt is turned over i.e. the crust is broken it stinks like shit, this is likely due to the microbe activity gobbling up the petrochemicals. Having spent my working life building roads I would love to study the Action Park pavement (which would require many laps) to get the low down on what is really happening. The entire track outlets into the neighbours dam and there has never been any complaints as far as I am aware regarding contamination.

Long live loose oiled dirt tracks! :)
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:07:26 pm »
Give me oil tracks anytime..............I hate WATER TRUCKS !! >:(
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:29 am »
Peter Baker / Wil Hagon
I have their numbers

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:32:03 am »
Thanks Steve, some interesting insights re Action Park. I've walked and ridden countless laps around there and similarly have never heard of any problems with contamination - it sure does make for a solid surface. The Three Hour used to break it up pretty bad with big patches wearing through the thin oil crust and waves building up in corners/braking areas.

Thanks too Graeme but at this stage I think we have enough info - Grant just needed some background for a short sidebar to the main feature article.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:25 am »
Give me oil tracks anytime..............I hate WATER TRUCKS !! >:(

I'm with you on that, Alvin !!
Foss

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »
Hard packed tracks def have a place in the natural development of riders from DT to Road Racing.
But in my opinion loose oiled tracks like Griffith have the formula spot on, I never really enjoyed the hard packed surface.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »
 I didn't really like the surface at Griffith when I rode there in the titles 2? yrs ago but my bike didn't keep going long enough to do any more than one race. However if I had a bit more laps under my belt and a bit more pressure in the back tyre possibly I would have liked it!
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »
Graeme, how'd ya go with the Epistle according to St. Foss ? was it what ya wanted ?

Foss