Author Topic: Dirt Track in 2014 - Is this the year it really takes off?  (Read 9247 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Dirt Track in 2014 - Is this the year it really takes off?
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »
The King of Nepean received pretty good media coverage last year thanks to the efforts of Vincent Tesirero. Apologies if I got the spelling wrong Vince.
Hopefully they can maintain the momentum built up over the last few years.
With this renewed interest in dirt track and the growing popularity of the 450's we might well see the King of Nepean back up at the jewell in the dirt track crown. It's all looking good for moderns, now all we have to do is to get classic dirt track back up the totem pole to where it was. For that to happen we need more than just the once a year Charity meeting at Nepean and the Nats. Penrith club's really dropped the ball with the vintage side of things so I wish BWP or St George had the guts to each promote a vintage only meeting during the year. What happened to the proposed 250 short track races (including a vintage framer class) on Nepean's speedway track that was being touted last year?
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Dirt Track in 2014 - Is this the year it really takes off?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »
Could be worth raising the issue with Canberra? Fred from Tuggeranong Motorcycles is pretty seriously into vintage as well as dirt track and is heavily involved with the local dirt track committee. A big one-off classic DT meet might not be out of the question.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:09:12 pm »
Andy Wigan from Transmoto and his complaint is that the promoters do little to push the sport. With the exception of Troy of course.

That's because most events are promoted by clubs. We need more independent promoters to get in cahoots with clubs (and likewise clubs to open the doors to outside promoters). 

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:32:51 pm »
I can't see any of the imports beating guys like Kirkness, Herfoss, Bayliss and Caslick. Sure they're good at their discipline but it's a different kettle of fish racing on the grippy oiled dirt with lefts and rights and front brakes.. Just ask Crumpy

Just saw pictures of Wiles looking pretty sharp on a speedway bike and doubling some lucky bugger on a short tracker.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:53 pm »
That's because most events are promoted by clubs. We need more independent promoters to get in cahoots with clubs (and likewise clubs to open the doors to outside promoters).
Or clubs need to realise that they're in Showbiz as well as for their members. 21st century clubs need media savvy promotions officers who have a grasp of the written word, aren't frightened to approach magazine and newspapers and can whip up a bit of promotional frenzy. MA have all these classes for officials to learn how to wave a flag or how to scrutineer but why haven't they got a course for clubs to learn how to promote their events? For events to be successful in 2014 we need more (read better) publicity than a poorly written paragraph in the arse end of the freebie motorcycle papers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:45:28 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:14 pm »
 now all we have to do is to get classic dirt track back up the totem pole to where it was. For that to happen we need more than just the once a year Charity meeting at Nepean and the Nats. Penrith club's really dropped the ball with the vintage side of things
[/quote]

I can't see that Penrith has dropped the ball considering that it has run PRE 70, EVO 125, 250, unlimited, Pre90 unlimited, Pre 90Thumpers - 4T, Sliders and the new Thumper twins classes in last years rounds.
While the twins were a bit thin on the ground as were the sliders there are still plenty of classes to ride in.
Entries were down at the Charity W End but I can't see how you can blame the clubs when it is up to the riders to enter.
Most riders know whats on and if they don't they must not be looking too hard.
I am of the opinion that there needs to be a bit more communication between the clubs to avoid the date clashes that occur way too often.
Maybe a 3 or 4 round classic only meeting with each round being run by different club - venue might work.

After watching the last practice days at Taree my money would be on Kirknes too.   
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »
It's all looking good for moderns, now all we have to do is to get classic dirt track back up the totem pole to where it was. For that to happen we need more than just the once a year Charity meeting at Nepean and the Nats. Penrith club's really dropped the ball with the vintage side of things so I wish BWP or St George had the guts to each promote a vintage only meeting during the year.

I can tell you that Northern Districts will be running extremely vintage friendly events this year kicking off with our first meeting on February 23.

The program so far will provide classes separated by disc braked up to 1990 and drum braked machines as this is where the real advantage lies in Dirt Track racing. We will also be offering an Under 45 and Over 45 Masters for each class as well as Modern classes. The aim is to return to a relaxed club day feel which is aimed toward the older rider demographic.

This is a big step for a club that has been largely dormant for many years so please be patient with us. We would appreciate as much support as possible from the Vintage fraternity. I am in the process of putting together the team of officials required to run a club day so if you are able to assist in any way that would also be greatly appreciated.

I will be posting the entry form here in the next couple of days so stay tuned.

And Firko don't be too quick to criticise Penrith. I think you may be pleased with what they have in store for us this year as well  ;)

Cheers
Shaun 

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
It's great we're talking up the Vintage classes because this is a V forum and that's where my heart lays but we also need to provide a nursery for the younger ones coming through.
Somehow we have to find some regular opportunities for them or eventually they'll lose interest and DT will continue to wither.

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:41 pm »
I'm Stoked Shaun that Northern Districts are hostings events this year focusing on vintage classes which will no doubt be a success! I amongst many other vintage racers cannot wait till the entry forms come out!!!

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »
Don't high jack the TBC thread wait till next week,
Check out the photos of the new Forbes Dirttrack under construction
Had Masa, Halbert and Caso in the shop
Troy and Mr Squiggle on the phone
Things are getting interesting,

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »
Fair point Graeme.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:18 pm »
I've just split this topic off from the TBC thread...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »
What we do need tho is some recognition from the magazines. I've had a couple of emails with Andy Wigan from Transmoto and his complaint is that the promoters do little to push the sport. With the exception of Troy of course.

It maybe a bit of a cop out ? they have to run with the most popular selling product "Modern MX" ?
Thought they have some top Classic MX articles in the Transmoto ie Goofs 500.

Who are the promoter's in our/your sport ?

Some of us need to know the grass roots and what we/you are dealing with in this discipline, I know we don't have it here in WA, but others may need to have the knowledge to help you out at CDT.
cheers  :)

ps Prize Money~riders love it  :P   With this renewed interest in dirt track and the growing popularity of the 450's we might well see the King of Nepean back up at the jewel in the dirt track crown.

Best is in the West !!

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »
US Flattrack had / has the same problem
Mike Kidd a former champ started down the road of getting rid of Framer 450s
Not because he didn't like them
But because he knew Distributor support would only be based on production bikes.
I have had way too many conversations with people that matter on getting Flattrack going
I believe dollars will be in the twins, based around the Cruiser Tourer market
Once again thanks to Troy Bayliss for giving back to the sport that started his career
Cross your fingers and all your toes that Casey comes back as well,
Then we will be well on our way

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:08 pm »
Firko as Shaun said don`t write off Penrith and I know the commitment Shaun has because North's had this planed last year.
But if this the year it really takes off in vintage we have to support it.