Author Topic: Tanks from India  (Read 7569 times)

albrid-3

Tanks from India
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:28 pm »
Has anybody bought tanks from India, I have sent measurements and photo`s to them, to make me a slim line b50 tank, they want me to pay first with Paypal, thats fine, but I am not sure
if they really know the shape that I want. They reply to me with no name. I am a bit reluctant.

oldfart

Re: Tanks from India
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:54 pm »

albrid-3

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »
Yes, I have check out that site old fart, Thank you, They had a b50 tank but its the wide one, I am looking for the small slim tank.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
DAVE
i have a nos black plastic bsa tank.you know you had the frame for about 3 weeks. had it for years a bit scuffed but it will come in handy 1 day.
i bought stuff from india for my pre60 ariel it never got here tracking is non existant got my money back through paypal
that was about 4 years ago may be better know lots of tanks on ebay now out of ingia.
jim

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
I haven't bought a tank from the Indian tank guys, but I was talking to a bloke whose brother bought a repro Triumph Bonneville tank and he told me that the quality is pretty bloody good. The alloy tanks look pretty good from the photos. Even though I haven't bought a tank from India I have purchased a new set of Royal Enfield forks, fork parts, handlebars and some other doo-dads and I'm pretty impressed with not only the quality but with the price, speed of shipping and quality of packaging. I'm about to buy a pair of fork legs tonight actually. Another friends son bought an Indian bicycle (a 1920's style bike but brand new) and he's stoked with the quality and price. I hope that helps instil a bit of confidence.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:19 am »
mmmm  go careful.

I had a special tank made that was supposed to be for me and only for me.  Before I even received it my tank had been photographed and was on ebay at less than I was paying!  I was a tad miffed to say the least!

I was warned (by my Indian friend that I went to school with) that integrity is something that Indians don't understand.  My mate said that for a few extra rupees he would chuck in his granny ~ I suspect he would!  This is not a racist comment as it was made by my mate who is Indian and is from India!  It may be a sweeping generalisation and I dare say there are lots of good guys out there, but that aside my Indian mate waned me from doing it.  So I pressed on and did it!!!!!

All the warning signs were there.  He was talking about special V Twin parts that had been made exclusively for a chap in Holland ~ but if I wanted some then no problem.....

The tank took an age to arrive, so much so that I got paypal involved.  As soon as they were involved the money was taken from their account and my goodness that focused their attention!  When the tank arrived they were begging me to end the dispute so they would get their money.

It was ok.  It was highly polished ~ but not as good as I am used to ~ the finish was far from show standard which is what I had paid for,  I could have done the same with a drill and a mop in the garage.  Fit was ok-ish.  The neck needed to be modified for the cap to fit.

I had hoped to get all sorts of bits made, but now choose to take my business else where.

Maybe things have moved on since my experience ~ I do hope so.

Bottom line is pay with paypal that way you'll get some security if it goes belly up.    If you send cash (you are mad) and if you do a bank transfer you have absolutely no come back if there is a problem.

You could be doing us all a favour as well as they will be on ebay at $99 before you know it ~ so go for it!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:48:20 am »
all of the above could be correct but honestly - if you want a special one of from a manufacturer and he decides there is a market for it of course he will then produce and sell - for a bit less is a bit rude though  >:(
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:07:13 am »
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:33 am »
all of the above could be correct but honestly - if you want a special one of from a manufacturer and he decides there is a market for it of course he will then produce and sell - for a bit less is a bit rude though  >:(

No sorry you are wrong.  When someone says verbally and in writing 'I will only make them for you and no one else' (call me old fashioned) but where I am from that means they wont sell them to anyone else.

If they had said, 'you pay for all the dev work, we'll charge you top dollar then knock them out on ebay for less then you have paid for yours' that would be a different conversation.

They didn't say that.....

Holtworks do beautiful work.  You may also consider Joe Maxwell who I think will make you a tank.  Terry Weedy also makes and supplies them ~ I am pretty sure he does a B50 tank anyway.  Top bloke, you wont go wrong with Terry!  (plus LOADS of other alloy tanks for side cars WASP etc, trials AJS. Matchless, BSA, Aerial, scramblers Metisse, BSA, CZ, Pursang etc etc etc

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:49 am »
I've been waiting for the problem to occur with my Indian dealings but so far it hasn't happened. It's funny Bens schoolmate telling him that Indians can be a tad 'iffy' business wise. My Indian born neighbour told me much the same thing when I told her I was buying bike parts from India off eBay....."It will come back to bite you on the bottom" she told me in that wonderful Curry and Chips accent :). I bought another set of Enfield India fork sliders last night and as I pressed the buy now button wondered if this was going to be the deal where it all goes pear shape? We'll see. I cop continuous flack from the usual suspect over my occasional use of Chinese items on my bikes but once again, most of the parts have been of pretty good quality. Like my Indian dealings, I'm waiting for it to go all wobbly any day now.....but it hasn't happened.

I don't think I'd be ordering custom made parts from India such as Ben did with his tank....that to me is way past my trust threshold. However based on my friends bro's experience with his Bonnie tank and the appearance of the alloy MX style tanks on the eBay photos...and the amazingly cheap prices they're asking for them, I'd be willing to take a punt on one. For a racer I'd be prepared to overlook any small shortcomings on this big BSA style tank at $350 as the good English made ones go for crazy money well over $1000 these days. However, for a concourse, 10 point I'd still spend the big crazy dollars. You can't do it cheap on a resto like you might be able to on a racer.

In the end it comes down to trust. Once that trust is compromised India will never see another Firko dollar.....But my experience so far is all positive, let's hope it remains so 8).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BSA-A65-SPITFIRE-HORNET-ALLOY-ALUMINIUM-PETROL-TANK-/251341755926?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8522d616&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BSA-A65-SPITFIRE-HORNET-ALLOY-ALUMINIUM-PETROL-TANK-/221173928346?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337efe519a&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:04:49 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:07 am »
nup - FPR - you would have to be business naive to think it would not happen.  Enter into a contractual situation where you own IP and maybe yes - anything else best of luck.  Especially from this part of the world.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

albrid-3

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:04 am »
Holts made me a slim line tank for the bultaco, workmanship A1, cost me $725 landed.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »
Holts made me a slim line tank for the bultaco, workmanship A1, cost me $725 landed.
Here's the straight as a gun barrel genuine Lyta slimline tank I bought a couple of days ago for $200+$54 shipping. A bargain for my Ducati. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181294560656?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
nup - FPR - you would have to be business naive to think it would not happen.  Enter into a contractual situation where you own IP and maybe yes - anything else best of luck.  Especially from this part of the world.

mmm I dont think the people who make the tanks know what a contract is or the concept of IP!

Perhaps you want to travel to Dehli to take them to court... good luck!

Would you sue them?  and when you win what what have the got to take? their tin hut and tools; bag of sand and hammers?

They will be in business next week with a new name. 

It doenst matter though, it's just a hobby and for fun.  If you were serious about premier league kit you would not get them to make it anyway.

It is a shame that you have to factor into the equation someone with no moral back bone.  Yes I am naive to think that these values still exist, espeically when someone says they wont do something then 2 seconds later they do!

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:56 pm »
I've been waiting for the problem to occur with my Indian dealings but so far it hasn't happened. It's funny Bens schoolmate telling him that Indians can be a tad 'iffy' business wise. My Indian born neighbour told me much the same thing when I told her I was buying bike parts from India off eBay....."It will come back to bite you on the bottom" she told me in that wonderful Curry and Chips accent :). I bought another set of Enfield India fork sliders last night and as I pressed the buy now button wondered if this was going to be the deal where it all goes pear shape? We'll see. I cop continuous flack from the usual suspect over my occasional use of Chinese items on my bikes but once again, most of the parts have been of pretty good quality. Like my Indian dealings, I'm waiting for it to go all wobbly any day now.....but it hasn't happened.

I don't think I'd be ordering custom made parts from India such as Ben did with his tank....that to me is way past my trust threshold. However based on my friends bro's experience with his Bonnie tank and the appearance of the alloy MX style tanks on the eBay photos...and the amazingly cheap prices they're asking for them, I'd be willing to take a punt on one. For a racer I'd be prepared to overlook any small shortcomings on this big BSA style tank at $350 as the good English made ones go for crazy money well over $1000 these days. However, for a concourse, 10 point I'd still spend the big crazy dollars. You can't do it cheap on a resto like you might be able to on a racer.

In the end it comes down to trust. Once that trust is compromised India will never see another Firko dollar.....But my experience so far is all positive, let's hope it remains so 8).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BSA-A65-SPITFIRE-HORNET-ALLOY-ALUMINIUM-PETROL-TANK-/251341755926?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8522d616&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BSA-A65-SPITFIRE-HORNET-ALLOY-ALUMINIUM-PETROL-TANK-/221173928346?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337efe519a&vxp=mtr

If it is in stock, run of the mill and ready to go, then yes go for it. 
Always use paypal so you have a level of protection and allow for the import duties you will have to pay.
One off specials, maybe not.... stick to the experts.
Firko is right, the bargain prices are hard to ignore. 
Look at the price of a chromed, painted, lined goldstar tank.  The price they are asking wouldnt even get a new steel tank chromed in the UK.  Never mind the paint, coach lining etc.  OK so it may not have the best tripple plated chrome etc etc, but at the price, who cares!  When it looks shabby, just fit another one.
As with everything in life irrespective of who makes it  and where... some stuff is junk, some excellent.  India does make some great stuff, (some of it isnt).  Same goes for the UK and Oz (no doubt) and everywhere else for that matter, just go steady and enjoy the hobby!