Author Topic: YZ125A, YZ125C, YZ125X, all IMMACULATE. (Not mine).  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
YZ125A, YZ125C, YZ125X, all IMMACULATE. (Not mine).
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:59:53 am »
Scott W of VMX Plastics fame is selling his fully restored YZ125s.

These are knock-out bikes - genuinely the best restos I've seen. LOTS of NOS parts, including inside the motors. They are the result of the "perfect storm" of skill, passion and budget. He was doing things like buying a good YZ125A just for the original handlebars for his bike.

He's a qualified panel beater and a true perfectionist - and it shows. I could go on and on about the standard of his work, but the easiest way to sum up his attention for detail is to quote him: "There's thirteen different shades of black on this bike"... :)

Current photos will be up in the next few days, but here's a taster:
http://yz125a.blogspot.com.au/?m=1
http://yz125x.blogspot.com.au/?m=1
http://yz125c.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

He is also selling the unfinished YZ125E and YZ125F projects. These bikes are 100% complete, with ~90% of the restos completed (to the same standard as the older bikes).

The price? Normally, there would be some excuses about how high the price is, to justify an unrealistic asking price... Instead, this time around, I'm trying to work out if I can put a higher price than his bottom line, without jeopardising his chances of a sale.
Let's just say that he is asking $7500 for each of the completed bikes, with some room to move for serious buyers who turn up with the cash... If they were mine, I'd be asking $10k and seeing what happened, but Scott being Scott has made the call...

He's willing to take about $3500 for each of the unfinished ones - with the possibility of him finishing them (and the sale price being increased, of course).
There's over $10k of parts in every single one of them...

If you're genuinely interested, or know somebody who is, Scott's number is 0437 672 576.

Bikes are located on the south coast of NSW. They will be advertised internationally if they are not sold in Australia within a decent time frame.

(Full disclosure: he offered me a commission on any bike that sells. I declined. Scott helped me out a huge amount when I was building my YZs, so this way I can partially returning the favours).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:34:32 am by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ125A, YZ125C, YZ125X, all IMMACULATE. (Not mine).
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:39 am »
All those bikes will be "perfect"....and should be in a museum. If you want something for your poolroom, buy one. If I was cashed up I wouldn't hesitate, the price is not over the top. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:52:02 am »
These bikes really should be in a museum. I would defy anyone to pick the difference between them and a brand new bike, right down to the zip ties being on the correct way around. Scott restores Holdens and matches the factory overspray on the chassis from when the body is painted. The body finish has the correct amount of orange peel in it - trying doing that.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:27:10 pm »
Is Scott near Nowra?
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:12 pm »
South Nowra, Brett.
Pete.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »
So he must be the guy who was doing the YZ E Guards... I do recal seeing a Nicely  restored YZ125C tank there when i was picking up some plastics.
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline r4brightred

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:35:55 pm »
I used his 125a as my benchmark when I did mine. His bike is absolutely beautiful. Like mine, his is not absolutely correct. It's hard to be perfect when restoring one of these bikes.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:48:43 am »
I used his 125a as my benchmark when I did mine. His bike is absolutely beautiful. Like mine, his is not absolutely correct. It's hard to be perfect when restoring one of these bikes.
  Now thats a back handed compliment if I've ever seen one.
I've heard how particular he was when making his guards. It shows through his bikes how particular he is. Those pictures look like they are of a new bike.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:35:06 pm »
Ignoring the tyres, I know of two things that are not 100% on the 125A:
One is the front spokes, the other is the plastic coating on the hand levers. I never would have picked that in a million years, but Scott notices (and cares about) these sorts of things...

If there are more, I'd be interested to hear about them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline r4brightred

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 02:33:13 am »
1. Factory tires are Yokohama. Rear = 3.50x18, model Y-612. Front 2.75x21, model Y-611
2. Bike came from the factory with a warning decal on rear fender, foil type.
3. Bike came from the factory with a unusual looking wire type clamp to hold the throttle cable rubber to the metal throttle housing.
4. The upper cable holder mounted to the top of triple tree had a section of rubber tubing slid over the metal wire.
5. Scott's bike has the superceded exhaust pipe, original would have had the more complicated rear mount system.
6. The handlegrips are not the correct 322 type.
7. The petcock is the incorrect superceded type.
8. Bike came from factory with a metal clamp where breather hose attaches to gas cap.

The two things that really jump out at me on the bike are the tires and petcock. All the rest is trivial. Actually it is all trivial. I studied the 125a, it is the only bike that I know inside and out. Like I said before, it is very hard to get these bikes perfect. Some of the parts are very hard to find. The craftsmanship on Scott's bike is top shelf. I think it needs a few parts replaced to be a true reference restoration, that's all.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:19:29 am »
I've not seen those bikes but it looks to me as though they are as close as possible to perfect given the availability of NOS parts. Some of you guys should be saying wow instead of oh but.....
What hope does anyone have? Sheesh!
K

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:54:56 am »
I've not seen those bikes but it looks to me as though they are as close as possible to perfect given the availability of NOS parts. Some of you guys should be saying wow instead of oh but.....
What hope does anyone have? Sheesh!
K

Agreed 100%  :) Obviously all the armchair experts were working in quality control at the Jap factories in the 70s  ::)

I dont know a lot about Yamahas , having been around other jap brands of the 70s and owned a few that were one owner originals the variation of brackets , stickers , rim types and tyres fitted to the same year model of bike is more common than you would think .

I do think a lot of anoracks work from brochures and manuals /parts books from the era and convince themselves that they are correct .

If i had some spare cash i would be all over that 125A  :) a great example at a very fair price  :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:28 am »
Scott's number is 0437 672 576.

YZ125A is out of storage, and has been fired up.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:11:52 am »
After reading this post and appreciating the effort that Scott put into his little Yamaha I now feel a bit inadequate. Over the last 30 years I've done what I thought were well detailed ground up restorations, especially my DT1 but after reading the minute detail that's gone into this bike and I presume his other restos, my bikes slide back a notch or two into the 'just OK' category. I tip my lid to the focused detail freaks like Scott that can get down to researching which direction a zip tie goes on or can differentiate between 13 different shades of black. I haven't got the patience or, if the truth be known, the need to be this detailed so hallelujah to guys like Scott and his equals for being that good at what they do and setting a standard for us to strive for.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »
That's almost exactly how I look at it, Firko. (Not that your DT1 stood out as being noticeably inferior!).

The bikes are stunning. I believe that it's all of those trivial details you don't immediately spot, that make the difference between the bikes that are "merely excellent" and the real knock-out bikes like these.