Author Topic: Italjet Scott 350 4-stroke  (Read 9035 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Italjet Scott 350 4-stroke
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
Mate has an Italjet Scott 350 for sale in Coffs Harbour.

Original, complete & running. Good condition. Asking $2150 ONO

Word has it that the importer of the day said he only brought in six on the east coast

If interested ring Phil,  0428 890 884

Can see pics on Trials Australia forum

http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8915&p=32119#p32119

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Italjet Scott 350 4-stroke
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:13:34 PM »
Brian Clarkson and Anthony Suttor both own(ed) Italjet 350's and both reported it to be the worst trials bike they'd ever ridden. I rode Anthony's on the farm and liked the power of the Rotax engine but the bike was heavy and didn't seem to turn very well. I'm a loooong way from being trials proficient but compared to the early 80's model SWM and Fantic I also rode that day the Italjet was sadly lacking something. The price is pretty decent for the one John talks of though.....$2150 is dirt cheap for anything so rare and original. No matter how good or bad it was in its day, it's a very cool collector bike.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
If it's not a great trials machine, it'd make an interesting vinduro mount.

Tex

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »
They are a GOOD OLD RIDERs Trials bike plenty of Plonk,

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »
The Italjet 350 was surprisingly heavy for a 2 stroke trials bike and was a little indifferent in the handling dept (interesting bike though until the kickstart shaft broke). This 4 stroke model doesn't appear to have any real trials pretensions as evidenced by the dual seat and extra instruments and would have been aimed at the tight single trail ride set. Similar to the 247T, Alpina and Explorer.  Its modern equivalent might be the KTM Freeride.
 Interesting and tidy example. Got me stoking my chin it has! Hmmm.....a late Chrissy present? :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Yes Paul, y're spot-on. No real trials pretensions - more of an Alpina type bike.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
Yes Paul, y're spot-on. No real trials pretensions - more of an Alpina type bike. 
Spot on....I was probably a bit cruel comparing the Scott to the SWM and Fantic (plus 350 Sherpa T and Yamaha TY mono) we rode on the day as a proper trials bike. Maybe it is made for the Alpina market but I never fully understood the reason for bikes like the Lobito, Alpina and Italjet Scott 350 in the first place. To me they're stuck in a no mans land between the trials bike and a dual purpose trail bike and a long way from an enduro bike.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
looks a lot like the first TL250 4 strokes?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:24 PM »
No the Scott is heaps better than the TL (I still have mine from the 70s)
I took my Scott to a Belmont Club Trial and gave everyone that wanted a ride,
Most liked it
No one wanted to buy one!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
I liked my TL 250 - yes was heavier than a TY, was lower than a TY - but really well balanced and could sit on the back wheel forever  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Spot on....I was probably a bit cruel comparing the Scott to the SWM and Fantic (plus 350 Sherpa T and Yamaha TY mono) we rode on the day as a proper trials bike. Maybe it is made for the Alpina market but I never fully understood the reason for bikes like the Lobito, Alpina and Italjet Scott 350 in the first place. To me they're stuck in a no mans land between the trials bike and a dual purpose trail bike and a long way from an enduro bike.
Its hardly a no-mans land. It's all about the type of terrain you like to ride. If it's mainly 4WD tracks and dirt roads, then they are not the weapon of choice. Lots of us however grew up riding in the mountains, riding along cattle and wallaby tracks. They didn't sell so many Alpinas by accident. They are actually very good to ride on single track and in steep, loose and rocky terrain - and also are enjoyable to ride in open terrain, if top speed is not an important factor. Bultaco actually put some thought into the long-running Alpina series by making the steering slightly slower and wheelbase slightly longer compared with their trials bikes and fitted equal-gap ratio gearboxes. Fortunately they retained the rearward footpeg location of the trials Bultacos, which is one reason why the ergonomics are so good when standing (much like a modern enduro bike).

Remember, at the time that these sort of bikes sold well, it was before enduro bikes lost weight and gained suspension (before Fronteras, KDXs, PEs and ITs).

I know which sort of bike I preferred to ride in the mountains as a kid, which is why in the mid 1970s, I got rid of my Suzuki TS185K and got an Alpina then a TY175. Roll on 40 years and now I'm old and unfit, so these mountain trail type bikes appeal to me more than later model enduro bikes for riding in Vinduro events. I'm currently finishing off a M138 Alpina that I have been restoring from basket case condition in stages for the last 15 years. I'm doing the last of the cosmetic stuff at present.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

albrid-3

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Back in the 70`s I started out trail riding on a Alpina 350, trail ridding in the otways you need a good reliable bike, this same weekend my bully stopped on me and I couldn`t get the bloody thing started, finely I got the bike to higher flat ground, very exhausted, I was knackered, finely got the bully running than, I rode it out of the Otway Rangers straight to swan & Mccade  Motorcycles shop, and traded the fooking thing in on a Brand new Kawasaki KT 250, it was the best thing I ever did, just loved that KT. Until this day I would prefer a 70`s Trials bike over any Enduro bike, Trials bikes are the best machine for the bush, so I am going to sell my vintage enduro bike, and concentrate on my trials bike.