Author Topic: What is considered to be a large collection of 1 brand of motorcycle?  (Read 12342 times)

albrid-3

Re: What is considered to be a large collection of 1 brand of motorcycle?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 09:17:24 pm »
Dave - Bultacos?
Some bultaco, Montesa, Maico etc they hang in threes out from the wall, you have too literary walk on each seat to get to the bike you wish  to look at. its amazing.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:41 am »
Ive seen some photo's of some guy with over 20 Vincents. But he had a part time guy caring for them.
One thing I have noticed with large VMX collections is the neglect of bikes. If you think you can actually look after 50 + bikes your in denial. Just do the math if your 50+ and have another 20 bikes waiting for restro you will die before it happens. Or you need to be very rich and pay for someone to do most of the work.

Spot on.

My bikes live under sheets in an enclosed shed in a dry climate, but they still require care and attention to maintain them, even if they don't get used.

My collection is about half the size it was (and all of the larger projects have been sold off), but there's still hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to get all of the bikes where I want them...

I love tinkering with bikes, and I particularly love bringing them back from the dead - but it's all too easy to bury yourself in them.

To answer the original question, I reckon that five or more actively used race bikes is a large collection.
Ten or more nice bikes that are shed queens/lightly used is a large collection.
But thirty shitbox "gunna" projects that sit in the shed untouched doesn't really count as a large collection...
SAME love rebirthing, me mates think Im a nut job on what they think is a dead rusted piece shite and bring them back from scrap to top of the pack, I agree with you Nathan but now Im in 3 catagories ... ouch the thirty shitbox "gunna" hurt, the truth hurts :( maybe I should have a shelpi needs to get his shit together and wake upto himself sale ???

Offline g465b

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:26 pm »
having a pile of shitboxes can be a good thing,its about usefulness and space.   i have one tidy yam DT2 and 5  spare average ones,they owe me f'all,got room to store them and a lifetime of cheap parts. about half my 50 odd bikes fall into the spares catagory,a yamaha I
bought new over 30 yrs ago(never sell it) has 3 complete spares bikes next to it-its comforting to have 3 spare everythings.
safe and happy 2014 to all            g.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
having a pile of shitboxes can be a good thing,its about usefulness and space.   i have one tidy yam DT2 and 5  spare average ones,they owe me f'all,got room to store them and a lifetime of cheap parts. about half my 50 odd bikes fall into the spares catagory,a yamaha I
bought new over 30 yrs ago(never sell it) has 3 complete spares bikes next to it-its comforting to have 3 spare everythings.
safe and happy 2014 to all            g.

phew thanks Nah who am I kidding IV'E still got a problem

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2013, 12:11:35 pm »

I knew that the minute I met you. Bahahaha

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 12:19:58 pm »

I knew that the minute I met you. Bahahaha
Yer like it doesnt stand out :o  LOL

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 10:38:17 pm »
it is the" primm mx collection ",google it-lots of pics and details. money=madness
Just looking at the photos there seems to be a lot of the 'same old same old' in the Primm Collection in Vegas. It only lasted a year or so..to survive in Las Vegas as a tourist attraction I reckon you need more than row after row of fairly ordinary 'bread and butter' bikes to attract punters and expect them to return. The Tom White Collection and Dan Rouitt flat track collection have more variety and less plastic. I was told by a Las Vegas resident racer that the Primm Collection kept Vintage Iron afloat while Rick assembled and restored the bikes.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

albrid-3

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »

Check this little lot out.

TM BILL

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 07:24:14 am »

Check this little lot out.

Thats cool Dave  8) a real collection in a real shed  :) all that patina and the place ozzees history . I so prefer to have a walk around a shed like that for a look than a look around one of those previous photos of clinicly clean over restored run of the mill bikes .

That looks like a racers shed , a bloke who knows how to turn the throttle rather than someone who cant ride for shit over compensating with a shed full of polished queens  ;D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:13 am »
someone who cant ride for shit over compensating with a shed full of polished queens  ;D
Hey wait a minute.....that's me you're talking about :o.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 08:43:36 am »
someone who cant ride for shit over compensating with a shed full of polished queens  ;D
Hey wait a minute.....that's me you're talking about :o.
[/quote

;D ;D Mark you know you have a shed full of what i consider 2 wheeled gold , all your bikes are the real deal and i dont know of anyone who has probably slipped more bikes under more guest riders ( including me  ;D ) at more events than you  :)

Its those clinical