Author Topic: Boxers Creek for sale  (Read 12446 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Boxers Creek for sale
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:53 pm »
The Goulburn Club ran a few vintage dirt tracks under lights at the speedway up on the hill overlooking the highway back in the 90's. The venue wasn't licenced to be used for speedway cars at the time because the safety fence was damaged. The way they laid out the dirt track it was nowhere near the fence so it was considered hunky dory by the Goulburn licencing sergeant. The club offered some unique donated prizes in lieu of trophies...One meeting I placed in pre 70 and got a yabbie trap for my effort ;D. I've still got it at the farm and it's occasionally used to pull a feed out of the dam ;).
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »
Yep, Firko I rode a few of those meetings at Goulburn Speedway on the infield track, shit , it kept ya on ya toes, got round Barry Collyer on his KX 450 on the back straight, old bastard took me over the winrow as I went by on the outside, had a laugh about it after,
car club put a bloody burnout pad over part of that track.
Foss

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 11:20:43 pm »
Yep, Firko I rode a few of those meetings at Goulburn Speedway on the infield track, shit , it kept ya on ya toes, got round Barry Collyer on his KX 450 on the back straight, old bastard took me over the winrow as I went by on the outside, had a laugh about it after,
car club put a bloody burnout pad over part of that track.
Foss

Yeah Al, I rode one of the last night meetings they had there and managed to snag the 125, 250, 500, unlimited and Aces invitation. The 125 on Gary Gleeson's CR and the rest on my Yamaico, which was ideally suited to that tight layout. I wouldn't have been the quickest rider there, but my bike just worked so well. Cliff Patton was breathing down my neck on his 250 slider most races but I just kept a tight line to hold him out. The locals were mostly ex road racing mates of Gleesos so we sat up outside the canteen for most of the night drinking my winnings. My son rode in the PeeWee class and we had to wake him up to get his trophy - poor little fella still had his boots on. Yep, those were the days.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 11:32:33 pm »
Yeah, they were great meetings Pete, I won the over 50s Allpowers at an early one, Spike L'Estrange from Condo got second, he said at presentation that I was the only bloke he knew that could make a 6 foot long Hagon 20 foot long !! he he, it worked !!
Foss

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »
Yeah, they were great meetings Pete, I won the over 50s Allpowers at an early one, Spike L'Estrange from Condo got second, he said at presentation that I was the only bloke he knew that could make a 6 foot long Hagon 20 foot long !! he he, it worked !!
Foss

That's right Al - block, block and more block ;D

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:24 am »
Pete, in the late '70s EA and I ran some black meetings ;), combined with the cars, as first half of the program, at Goulburn Speedway on the outside track.

You shoulda seen who turned up !!, Pummo, TH, Fraze, Bryce Colghoun,and a young Lennie Norris !!. there were two gradings, Expert and Non Expert, all capacity classes and we finished the bike program with an all in Feature Main, anyone with a bike still running !!, two start lines, guns on the front row, 20 or so bikes, 5 laps,the crowd went mad and most of them left when the bikes finished.

Frank Nicastri, Pres of the car club, asked could we run car and bike races alternately as a lot of the crowd left, my reply was " You've got their entrance money, so what does it matter, Frank ?"  he agreed, so we still ran first half.

The Car Cub ran a Family car lap dash at the end of the night, a few bike guys stayed back to watch the tintops, bloody Fraze had a go at the lap dash in his Ford ute complete  with Hagon on the back, won the damn thing !!! Pummo had a go in his Jag.

Aaah, life was less complicated back then, eh?.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:17 am »
What are the chances of using Goulburn Speedway again? Maybe the car club could use some track hire cash? I'll go co-promoter with you Foss ;D.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 08:42:59 pm »
Firko,
Goulburn Speedway is a clay track these days, at least it was in 2010 when I went to watch Steve Bennet race his GP Midget there, I did get the feeling that the Car club would not be amenable to bikes, I could be wrong !!.

If the proposed Goulburn club complex gets a guernsey , it will be a great asset, not far from the big smoke, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Steve , by the way, rode the Glenn Gall Special XT  to a creditable 7th in the Pre 78 263 and over at the 2010 DT Nats at Griffith, his second ever DT ride, I'll give him a ring and see how the land lies at Goulburn.
Foss

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »
Here ya go, Pit staight Startline at Boxers Creek circa 1962, Donny Greig on 21V, ya can see top lh of the pic a rider on the LH sweeper off the main straight, 3 more further around, Hume Hwy beyond the trees. Boxers was a big, open, fast track. Beezers seem to be the weapon of choice, eh ?

Foss

I never rode at Boxer's Creek, but I went with my Dad in the Mid 60's to an Open meeting there..........The meeting was won by a visiting English rider by the name of Dave Mitchell........He was quick and very smooth as I remember.....Jim Airey and Gordon Guasco rode that day, I think.........Boy I'm stretching the memory on this one !!...... :P :P

ALVIN......
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:32:53 pm »
Pete, in the late '70s EA and I ran some black meetings ;), combined with the cars, as first half of the program, at Goulburn Speedway on the outside track.

You shoulda seen who turned up !!, Pummo, TH, Fraze, Bryce Colghoun,and a young Lennie Norris !!. there were two gradings, Expert and Non Expert, all capacity classes and we finished the bike program with an all in Feature Main, anyone with a bike still running !!, two start lines, guns on the front row, 20 or so bikes, 5 laps,the crowd went mad and most of them left when the bikes finished.

Frank Nicastri, Pres of the car club, asked could we run car and bike races alternately as a lot of the crowd left, my reply was " You've got their entrance money, so what does it matter, Frank ?"  he agreed, so we still ran first half.

The Car Cub ran a Family car lap dash at the end of the night, a few bike guys stayed back to watch the tintops, bloody Fraze had a go at the lap dash in his Ford ute complete  with Hagon on the back, won the damn thing !!! Pummo had a go in his Jag.

Aaah, life was less complicated back then, eh?.
Foss

I was at that meeting Al, because I remember Fraz in the lap dash in his XA351, but for the life of me I can't remember if I rode or not. If I did it would have been on my Kerr Bultaco...

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:14 am »
Yeah, Pete it was a sight to see, Fraze skiddin' his ute around, eh?
Anyway here's a real shitty photo from a Highlands Classic meeting at Goulburn Speedway.

Me on the Hagon/TT, #111 Tony Day on Nobby Roebuck's Jawa, #39 ? Firko will know, #88 Ron Davis, and #26 the late Dennis King
Foss

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »
Here ya go, Pit staight Startline at Boxers Creek circa 1962, Donny Greig on 21V, ya can see top lh of the pic a rider on the LH sweeper off the main straight, 3 more further around, Hume Hwy beyond the trees. Boxers was a big, open, fast track. Beezers seem to be the weapon of choice, eh ?

Foss
Boxers Creek was my next favourite track after Nepean, went there every open that I could get too in the sixties.
In this pic. I remember seeing every one of those number plates, The names escape me, give me a couple of days and I might remember! Cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 03:55:39 pm »
Here ya go , Wal      # 505 P.O'Brien, #403 B.Bolin, # 488 B.Duffy, #21V Don Greig, # 628 T. Curtin
One Velo, an Ajay, three Beezers and I can't make out what the last one is.
# 403 Brian Bolin's Ajay was later fitted with a JAP motor and years later I bought the bike off Lee Roebuck.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »
Me on the Hagon/TT, #111 Tony Day on Nobby Roebuck's Jawa, #39 ? Firko will know, #88 Ron Davis, and #26 the late Dennis King
Foss
My old memory's not what it was but I think #39 might be Alan Weaver from Mudgee. 

Offline Lindsay

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 10:25:29 am »
Just a bit of info on the Goulburn Club. The club now owns the land and basically surrounds the existing speedway track and runs up the hill  to the communication towers. After a long campaign by a  few dedicated club  members the DA was finally approved for the construction of our complex. The Goulburn Council voted unanimously in favour of our application. At present we are waiting for Sydney Catchment Authority to sign off the application before construction can begin.

Like anything these days it takes a lot of time and effort to overcome the endless hurdles that present themselves and we were told recently that we have been the only club in NSW over the past ten years to have a DA succeed. The fight isn't over yet though. There was a very small but vocal group of  opponents who continue to cause us grief. Recently one noticed a photo at a local business with one of the Councillor's standing next to a committee member. A formal complaint was lodged with Council citing an undisclosed conflict of interest and attempted to have the DA rescinded. The subsequent investigation cost Council $16000.  The same group appears to have connections with the closure of a Sydney MX track last year.

The conditional DA itself has a lot of restrictions based on noise and the amount of scheduled race meeting permitted each year but at least it's a start.

We had hoped to start construction on a track early in the new year but at this point we can't proceed until the whole process is signed off on. We will build a MX track initially on the side of the hill and then work towards DT in a few years.

On another note there is no chance of running DT in conjunction with the Speedway Club. A concrete burnout pad was laid over the infield area where the bike used to run.

Lindsay
GMCC