Author Topic: kdx rear shock rebuild  (Read 7260 times)

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: kdx rear shock rebuild
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
I have a 1985 KDX200. My shock body is steel.
What function does the remote reservoir perform ? Can it be removed ?
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 07:54:58 pm »
I have a 1985 KDX200. My shock body is steel.
What function does the remote reservoir perform ? Can it be removed ?
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/faq.html

?Q: What's the advantage of remote reservoirs? 
?A: Works shocks are pressurized with nitrogen. Standard Works shocks are a gas-emulsion type--that means that the nitrogen is charged into the oil. The remote reservoirs are attached to the shocks through a hose that transfers oil. Inside the reservoir is a polyurethane bladder that separates the nitrogen from the oil. There are two advantages to this. One is that the oil capacity of the shock is increased, which aids in cooling the shock fluid and increases the service life of the oil; and the second is that the compression and rebound valving will stay consistent under the most severe off-road terrain or closed-course track conditions.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 09:01:47 pm »
that shock looks good Geoff, should go back together fine with a new seal and a reoil and regas. is the chrome good on the shaft?

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:52:53 pm »
that shock looks good Geoff, should go back together fine with a new seal and a reoil and regas. is the chrome good on the shaft?

Thanks John, the shaft has minor wear but nothing excessive and certainly looks serviceable.

For whatever reason, the old Kawi shocks seem much less prone to wearing the inside of the body than (say) old Yamaha shocks.
I guess the UniTrack design takes out more of the side loads, and they do have a thick walled body which better resists ballooning.

You'd never bet the house on the body having no wear, but for these shocks, the odds are better than even that the body will be serviceable.

Nathan,
just as a point of interest, the minor wear on the chrome of the shaft is on one side (the thrust side ?) of the shaft, there were no real wear marks to speak of in the shock body.

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »
Farmerize it Geoff, give the shaft a linish with a bit of 600 wet and dry then some 1200 and put it back together! should work fine.