Author Topic: US postage  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
US postage
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:08:02 am »
was having a look on the Reign VMX website this morning - yes for jerseys - and nearly fell over when I saw the postage rates they quote - normal postage to Oz was $25 - then jumped to $44 for lowest of the priority mail - more than the cost of the jersey.

Maybe I don't really need another jersey  :'(
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: US postage
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:42:59 am »
They know how to slug us for postage alright. You might be able to find that illusive part over there but the postage cost is often prohibitive. I managed to find a NOS 23' knobby tyre for my '79 XR500. The tyre cost me $35. Postage was $70!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
But is a $100 to dear for a new front tyre that you cant buy down the corner store?...I don't think so....if it wasn't for ebay etc there would be a lot of old bikes/cars etc sitting in sheds/paddocks just rusting away or even worst.....being sent to the crushers.....I think you have to look at the big picture....I'm not saying there aren't rip-offs happening in postage/freight shipments but if your serious about your hobby/sport then sometimes you have to pay for it. It's like whinging about paying $25 for last nights North Brisbane Cup entry......it costs MONEY to put events on believe it or not......what about the ticket price to go see the Rolling Stones next year...$580 a ticket....last nights entry was cheap and the 23inch tyre is cheap. Too many tight arses on here.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »
But is a $100 to dear for a new front tyre that you cant buy down the corner store?...I don't think so....if it wasn't for ebay etc there would be a lot of old bikes/cars etc sitting in sheds/paddocks just rusting away or even worst.....being sent to the crushers.....I think you have to look at the big picture....I'm not saying there aren't rip-offs happening in postage/freight shipments but if your serious about your hobby/sport then sometimes you have to pay for it. It's like whinging about paying $25 for last nights North Brisbane Cup entry......it costs MONEY to put events on believe it or not......what about the ticket price to go see the Rolling Stones next year...$580 a ticket....last nights entry was cheap and the 23inch tyre is cheap. Too many tight arses on here.

Ditto

Try posting something from Australia back the other way ::)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:07 pm »
Local Yamaha dealer $254 for three bearings. Partzilla USA $40 for the three bearings plus $44 postage Cheap

I looked at a $275 DG exhaust system from DC in the states. His site said $550 postage. I emailed him and he replied it is to discourage small orders. I put a list together , over $1,000 and he mailed it for free after he discounted my order. Cheap
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »
LOL agreed Davey.If you cant get the parts to complete the resto the bike cant be ridden! If you race/ride ,the bike needs to be fully functional!
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:45:34 pm »
Local Yamaha dealer $254 for three bearings. Partzilla USA $40 for the three bearings plus $44 postage Cheap

I looked at a $275 DG exhaust system from DC in the states. His site said $550 postage. I emailed him and he replied it is to discourage small orders. I put a list together , over $1,000 and he mailed it for free after he discounted my order. Cheap

8) A little bit of common sense can go a long way!
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
Why don't the fellas worried about postage costs form a cartel and group buy. You will save heaps.

Take DCVMX for example, if your order is big enough , after he discounts your order you effectively pay no postage costs. Once your order is sent it will arrive under seven days.

I detest buying overseas but am left with no alternative sometimes when our stockists go AWOL. Or dealers are out of stock.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »
whilst that maybe OK for parts - I sent some big stuff last week for $30 - and got a discount because the actual price was cheaper - $44 for a jersey which goes into a small padded bag?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 02:25:28 pm »
The jersey should have cost you a $16-25 padded bag Ross. I just checked 'My eBay' and the costs for my shirts and jerseys over the last couple of months was between $11 and $25 with most being around $16. The pricks are getting at you for $44. Metro are worse, they'll quote you $60 or something similar for a jersey or t shirt.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »
I've just ordered an OSSA exhaust(new) from the states.The pipe and postage came to a total of $325 US.I'm pretty happy with that.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »
Just to let you know from this end it can vary depending on how safe you want to be and also the girth to weight thing goes up exponential. (The cost to ship a motor with secure packaging is crazy!)   

At the cheapest rates I have no way of proving a part arrived nor can I insure it.  So, should I ship a rare NOS part for $40 or ship it for $80 and be able to track it, get delivery confirmation and insure it for close to replacement value?

With a t-shirt or a repro plastic fender I would take a chance, but not with rare or high value items.  :)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:15 pm »

I didn't say I was unhappy to pay for my rare as hens teeth new 23" knobby tyre. I was rapt to have found one. I was simply just highlighting the cost of postage from the states. It's no better from the UK either. It's a fact that while the postage costs seem ridiculous, at least we can find the parts we NEED overseas. Myself, I will pay the extra for postage for my stuff if it can be tracked. Better that than losing the lot....And the same can be said when I sell sell something. If the buyer doesn't agree to paying the extra for insurance and tracking, I cancel the sale. Simple as that...

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »

Was recently quoted $500 for shipping of a NOS fuel tank to OZ by a high flying H#%da dealership in the U.S.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 08:36:36 am »

Was recently quoted $500 for shipping of a NOS fuel tank to OZ by a high flying H#%da dealership in the U.S.

Did you tell him he was dreaming......