Author Topic: Someone please talk some sense into me!  (Read 17981 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Someone please talk some sense into me!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 08:54:04 pm »
I didn't see too many Huskies or any other euro bike competing with Heiki Mikola on the big bore YZ. Brad Lackey on the Elsinore sure did though.. Frame flex or no frame flex, the Honda was a bike the privateers could jump on and have a chance, even against the big bores...
Are you for real? Honda didn't even make a big bore production mx bike in 77/78 when Lackey was on Honda. It was a full on works bike buddy, no comparison to what we could buy.
Mikkola won 2 world titles on Husky in 74 & 76 which is what got him the factory Yamaha ride!

Yep, I am for real alright. No one said Brad Lackey was on a big bore Honda. He was on a 250...and that's a fact. Mikola was on the 465 YZ. The only thing different to Brad Lackey's bike compared to a showroom bike externally was the number plates and the fox shocks. No doubt there was a lot of trickery going on inside the cases..
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 09:08:52 pm »
I didn't see too many Huskies or any other euro bike competing with Heiki Mikola on the big bore YZ. Brad Lackey on the Elsinore sure did though.. Frame flex or no frame flex, the Honda was a bike the privateers could jump on and have a chance, even against the big bores...
Are you for real? Honda didn't even make a big bore production mx bike in 77/78 when Lackey was on Honda. It was a full on works bike buddy, no comparison to what we could buy.
Mikkola won 2 world titles on Husky in 74 & 76 which is what got him the factory Yamaha ride!

Yep, I am for real alright. No one said Brad Lackey was on a big bore Honda. He was on a 250...and that's a fact. Mikola was on the 465 YZ. The only thing different to Brad Lackey's bike compared to a showroom bike externally was the number plates and the fox shocks. No doubt there was a lot of trickery going on inside the cases..
Hahaha you are a class clown! Lackey on a 250 in the 500 class and Mikkola on a YZ465 in 1977... Put the bong down matey!

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:26 pm »
No bong involved Johnny... Unfortunately, I gave that up years ago. Ok, I should of said Mikkola on the 400. Big deal, sue me. Give me the sack. Reduce my pay..... The point is, the Honda was a 250 competing against bigger bore bikes in the world MX GP. If you can't relate to that, maybe you need to start smoking some ganga mon...

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »
Lackeys 77 RC500 GP bike lived in Brisbane until a few months ago and I've seen it up close, the engine is about 50mm taller than a 78 CR250 because it's a 500!!
And that my friend is fact!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 09:19:14 pm »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »
By the way Conan, Honda didn't even make a CR250 in 77, one of the years Lackey raced Honda!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »
Besides the fact you wouldn't be allowed to ride a 250 in the world GP's in the 500 class.....an open classer in those days would smoke a two fifty, they wouldn't see which way it went. The crown to have was the 500 class....250's and 125's are the learner classes so to speak.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:31 pm »
By the way Conan, Honda didn't even make a CR250 in 77, one of the years Lackey raced Honda!

Who was talking about 1977? Not me. I have seen the entire footage of the 1978 GP season and Brad Lackey was on a Honda. And there were 1977 CR250's. Not a very wanted or competitive bike, but I have seen one in the flesh in Wagga Wagga NSW. It had a 1977 tag on it and looked exactly the same as the '76 CR but with a bit more angle on the rear shocks.
Then again, maybe all the class A pharmaceuticals I was on at the time made me dyslexic  ::) 

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 09:40:01 pm »

Who was talking about 1977? Not me. I have seen the entire footage of the 1978 GP season and Brad Lackey was on a Honda. And there were 1977 CR250's. Not a very wanted or competitive bike, but I have seen one in the flesh in Wagga Wagga NSW. It had a 1977 tag on it and looked exactly the same as the '76 CR but with a bit more angle on the rear shocks.
Then again, maybe all the class A pharmaceuticals I was on at the time made me dyslexic  ::)
Sorry dude but there definitely wasn't a CR250 in 77. Lackey rode Honda in 77 & 78 and you said he rode a CR250 in the 500 GPs.
And there is not even a slight chance a 250 would pass tech inspection for the 500 class!

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »
Yeah you are right, Maico didn't win any World Championships.  That is probably because they couldn't afford to buy the Championships like Suzuki and Yamaha did.  The bikes Joel Robert, Sylvan Goebers and Roger DeCoster raced were a lot lighter than the production Maicos, but still they finished next best to those riders.

But clearly I won't convince anyone who doesn't really know Maicos of how good they are, so you might as well just remain ignorant.

The riders you speak of were long gone before your greatest bike was ever built.

So tell me why a company that supposedly sold more 490's than the entire Honda Offroad fleet in 1981 could not entice one rider good enough to win a world title. Money is one thing but a world title is something else.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 09:55:34 pm »
Are you trying to tell me that the bike I saw with my own eyes wasn't actually there? Phew, maybe I did have too much ganga in my youth.... The 1977 model ID tag was in place on the headstem. The swingarm was different and the top shock mount location was different. The sidecovers were more like the same year 125.

And I did say that there was no doubt there was trickery going on inside the cases on Lackeys bike. But to the average Joe, the bike was a CR250.

Offline FDR

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »
Back to K-Man, get off that euro crap and build the CR, reliable and easy to get parts.
No bing carby's, motaplat ignitions, shit bringing up bad memories.
Sure Honda's have some flaws, just fit a solid swingarm and be happy.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »
Are you trying to tell me that the bike I saw with my own eyes wasn't actually there? Phew, maybe I did have too much ganga in my youth.... The 1977 model ID tag was in place on the headstem. The swingarm was different and the top shock mount location was different. The sidecovers were more like the same year 125.

And I did say that there was no doubt there was trickery going on inside the cases on Lackeys bike. But to the average Joe, the bike was a CR250.
Yes I am telling you there was no CR250 in 77, I'll show you genuine Honda brochures of the 76 and 78 CR250 and 76, 77 and 78 CR125, you show me a genuine Honda pic of a 77 CR250 and that'll settle it.
Lackey only ever raced a RC500 in 500 grand prix in his 2 years on Honda.. It was not possible or competitive to race a 250 in 500 gp's, hence the whole reason for the 360 Mugen kit!

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 10:13:59 pm »
Back to K-Man, get off that euro crap and build the CR, reliable and easy to get parts.
No bing carby's, motaplat ignitions, shit bringing up bad memories.
Sure Honda's have some flaws, just fit a solid swingarm and be happy.
Frank maybe you could sell him a really nice genuine 360 Mugen?!

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:13 pm »

Yes I am telling you there was no CR250 in 77, I'll show you genuine Honda brochures of the 76 and 78 CR250 and 76, 77 and 78 CR125, you show me a genuine Honda pic of a 77 CR250 and that'll settle it.
Lackey only ever raced a RC500 in 500 grand prix in his 2 years on Honda.. It was not possible or competitive to race a 250 in 500 gp's, hence the whole reason for the 360 Mugen kit!

I didn't take any photos of the bike. I had no idea it was a rare beasty. All I knew was that it was a CR that I din't have and I wanted to buy it so that i'd have '74, '75, '76, and a '77 to slot in between my '79.  The answer was a big fat no.

So saying there was indeed an RC500, it must be possible to build such a beastie and race it in Evo?