Author Topic: 60's Desert Sleds  (Read 10141 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 60's Desert Sleds
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »

( or else it was remake of my old burnt out SL125 with a 500/4 engine again.... ::)
[/quote] :o

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »
Yes really Shelpi ,it was totally melted when my the storage shed went up in flames. Was parked beside four Monaro true magnesium rims. When they lit up the virtually unstoppable fire and heat melted the bike to a blob.
Most sad about the hand formed individual upswept pipes, they were a work of art by a now deceased mate. Cannot even show you a photo as lost boxes and boxes of the boys and my history in the flames too. Hoping someone here has piccy of the    toy.   
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 10:14:34 am »
Yes really Shelpi ,it was totally melted when my the storage shed went up in flames. Was parked beside four Monaro true magnesium rims. When they lit up the virtually unstoppable fire and heat melted the bike to a blob.
Most sad about the hand formed individual upswept pipes, they were a work of art by a now deceased mate. Cannot even show you a photo as lost boxes and boxes of the boys and my history in the flames too. Hoping someone here has piccy of the    toy.
ya poor bugga, thats a terrible story. all the best for the new year and may all your old parts turn into factory works parts ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »
Poor Bugger?  Shelpi Mate take it from me if losing 16+ bikes a shit load of parts ,tools and memorabilia in a fire is the worst thing that happens . Life actually has been pretty kind to you/ ;)
  It happened  , has passed , depressed about? no way moved on ;)  actually can laugh about it :)

Now back to "desert sleds" Looks like you Shelpi may have some candidates for conversion :D Cheers

and I will still take  your SL125 ;) ;) ;) ;) :-*
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:40:43 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 11:44:20 am »
Poor Bugger?  Shelpi Mate take it from me if losing 16+ bikes a shit load of parts ,tools and memorabilia in a fire is the worst thing that happens . Life actually has been pretty kind to you/ ;)
  It happened  , has passed , depressed about? no way moved on ;)  actually can laugh about it :)

Now back to "desert sleds" Looks like you Shelpi may have some candidates for conversion :D Cheers

and I will still take  your SL125 ;) ;) ;) ;) :-*
A brilliant philosophy Tim will take it on board esp in the dark times, ;) sorry mate the SL125 you saw in the pic is the Trouble and strifes :-\ :'( but I have another one I used to scream around on in my youth its a x surfie's ride and I used to rev it that high the tacho needle would stick on the outer caseing until 1 day when I was pulling a mono down the road when there was a power drop and a lot of smoke, pulled it down to find the piston had cracked in half ??? what do ya think caused that :P probably a faulty piston :o

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 11:48:11 am »
tell me Tim, what can of dates did you see for converation ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 03:10:35 pm »
While I'm slowly collecting the bits to build the desert sled Trumpy in a couple of years, I'm thinking of converting my 'Dunger from Hell' DT1 into circa 1970 desert trim using a very rare set of DT1 spec Swenco forks I got in a trade with Jonesy a couple of years ago. While the DT1 isn't exactly a heavyweight sled per se, they were still really popular with the desert crowd who hot rodded the living shit out of them in the early seventies. I reckon the DT1 would look pretty cool with the Swencos and it'll be interesting to see how they perform. To make it even more period correct I'll use Arnaco shocks on the front to match those on the rear. 

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:15:17 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 05:56:55 pm »
Firko
I have '72 and '73 AMA District 37 desert number plate sticker masters to give that DT1 an authentic look. You want some?
Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 01:12:59 pm »
While I'm slowly collecting the bits to build the desert sled Trumpy in a couple of years, I'm thinking of converting my 'Dunger from Hell' DT1 into circa 1970 desert trim using a very rare set of DT1 spec Swenco forks I got in a trade with Jonesy a couple of years ago. While the DT1 isn't exactly a heavyweight sled per se, they were still really popular with the desert crowd who hot rodded the living shit out of them in the early seventies. I reckon the DT1 would look pretty cool with the Swencos and it'll be interesting to see how they perform. To make it even more period correct I'll use Arnaco shocks on the front to match those on the rear. 

snice loooks the business 8)