Author Topic: anyone got advice on selling on ebay  (Read 5813 times)

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
anyone got advice on selling on ebay
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:33 am »
what  not to do and what to do im new at this

Offline Lewis

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: anyone got advice on selling on ebay
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:33 am »
Check out first their fees before advertising an item.All may not be as it seems!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »
#1 rule is to imagine you are a potential buyer - do you have enough info to feel comfortable about buying the item sight unseen? Way too many people write ads on the assumption that the potential buyer knows as much about the item as they do... Give people the info that you would want if you were a buyer. What needs doing? What's had money spent on it? How good are the tyres? The chain and sprockets? Etc.

In particular:

Post good pics. Three or four clear over-view pics, and the remaining 8 or 9 on clear detail pics. Photos of a bike that's half in the shade and half in the light are hopeless - put the bike up against the shed or the fence (or other clear background) when its in the shade, and then take the photos.
Move the bike - it takes about 10 seconds to turn a bike around for another photo, and gives a 10000% better impression than if you take a lousy photo where you jam the camera between the bike and the fence...

No bullshit description. You might suck in some morons with a deliberately vague description that 'forgets' to mention the problems, but you will also massively increase the chances of copping time-wasting fools and/or agro.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:00:08 pm »
Say when you want it picked up I sold one months ago still waiting as I didn't specify that it needed to be picked up within even say 2 weeks.

Realise that paypal fees are a pain and that you will get charged something like $60 from ebay too if it does sell.

I was not very happy last time I sold bikes on there you even want to say that it isn't running even if you think that is completely obvious.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »
I agree with nathan on the photos and description. Detail in the description and as many good quality photos that tell the whole story. I make sure to point out any issue as it saves a head ache after sale. If its stuff you don't care too much about and just want to get rid of, a $0.99 auction attracts more attention and bidders than a set price!!

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:37:36 pm »
ebay  and paypal fee is about 60$ im trying to sell my 10 clutch cover asking 430$ buy now 15 local post 45 internal  post see what happens

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
Russel ... is this with regards to your castings. ???  if so,  say they have been tested and proven ( as they have ).   Once you have sold a few and get positive feed back ( this is the key .... positive feed back )  they will sell themselves.
Another angle  would be to contact VMX magazine and asked them if they want to do an article on what your reproducing  ;) 

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:53 pm »
im doing the 84 125 now I have never sold any thing on ebay before feed back score is O that wont help

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:51 pm »
Selling on EBay can be rewarding.

As Nathan suggested:

Good pics
Tell the whole story - warts an all approach

As Frostype400 mentioned:

Set payment and pick up time limits so you can get closure.

My tips:

Be wary of offers to finish deals offline /outside eBay other than COD
Be prepared that people may bid and not pay for items, then you have to deal with second chance offers or relisting item.
Decide if you want to post / deliver or not, or if buyers can collect goods, and where from.
Payment methods vary, PayPal is secure (I believe), but has associated fees, / as does eBay.

It is a great experience, and can be rewarding, just practice commons sense and online safety.

Some of this might sound very risk averse, and I don't mean to be alarmist, however I don't want anyone getting done like I did.   A few years ago, I sold some car parts, guy turns up to pick up and pay, urgently needs to use the bathroom.  2 days later, house is broken into, perp avoided alarm and got away withy more than someone would without inside knowledge.  I know the evidence is circumstantial, but too much of a coincidence for my liking.  I now post anything I sell, or get buyers to meet me at work......  A neutral location.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:14:04 pm by Charlie B »
Retiring ... all bikes and parts must go.....  1984 KX250's (2 off) and Resto Project 1983 KX125's (3 off)

PM for details

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »
Russell
You might want to consider a money back guarantee if they won't fit or the buyer can't make them work for whatever reason? Takes away people's risk and would show you have total confidence in the quality and accuracy of your product. Also make sure you state that they are reproductions and not genuine OEM or some goose will complain they thought is was NOS!
Good luck
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:19 pm »
Rule 1: Remember its Evilbay
Rule 2: Remember its Evilbay
Got to love it
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »
so I gota stupid proof it

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:24:54 am »
so I gota stupid proof it

As best you can, yes.

Two parts to the stupid-proofing:
1. Minimise the stupidity you cop;
2. Cover your arse for the idiots that slip through.

Also make sure that you don't sound negative and grouchy when you're doing it. Be concise and factual. For example:
"This is a replica part, not a genuine Honda component" sounds a lot better than "don't go thinking this is a NOS Honda part because it isn't"...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:38:02 am »
how would you get on with continual listing,(like i never sold it?? ;)),just use a contact number/website or is evilpay onto that scheme,or is there an advantage $wise on continuity/relisting??,justa thought, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:19 am »
There's some very good advice above and even though I'm a 1300+ 100% feedback, 15 year eBay veteran I'm still trying to get it right. I've found as both a seller and buyer that it's important to have good photos showing as much detail as possible. Unless you've got a current shit hot phone camera, keep the phone in your pocket and use a decent camera and don't try to be too artistic, good, clear and straight forward photos are all that's needed. It's also important to keep your item description simple, factual and to try and have the spelling and grammar as correct as you can. If you're not confident in writing a good description ask someone to do it for you as it'll pay dividends in the end and save you a lot of smart arse comments from idiots. It's well worth sticking to the KISS principle.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha