Author Topic: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX  (Read 62488 times)

albrid-3

Re: Pre 95 Class for NSW VMX
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
I understand where your coming from,  Nada is a young fellow that is trying something new, for the people who like that era, and I support him for having a go., its know different, when I started the Classic scramble club 15 odd years ago.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:09:18 AM by Dave #6 »

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »
I grew up riding the so called beige era but ride pre75 now because(and love it) nothing exist for Nada's era without riding in the moderns, I have tried, but the tracks scare the crap out of me, at 45 I don't bounce well now days, and if they can get one more position and use you for traction to get it they will, which doesn't happen in classic's but the racing is still close and fun so if he can capture the essence of both who knows what could happen go for it bloke.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
What I'm seeing more and more of, is that this forum is the old grumble-bum forum, and its only silly bastards like me who bother to swim against the current. Instead, plenty of others are just going away and getting on with their involvement in old bikes without the need to rehash the same old bullshit.
After Christ-knows how many fruitless conversations have been had on this topic on these forums - nada's FB group has 59 members within a few hours, suggesting that the support is far stronger than anyone expected.
It seems so obvious now, but the real problem was looking for support and positivity in the grumble-bum forum.

I don't really care one way or the other if pre 95 gets a following or not. To those who appreciate bikes from the beige era (thanks Bill) like Nada and Nathan I really hope you can get off your arses, stop postulating and actually do something to get it happening. At least Nada has started the ball rolling with a facebook page and approaches to Norths club. That's way more productive that the continuous bleating about it on this forum. At the risk of repeating myself yet again, this old grumble bums only objection to the introduction of pre 95 are purely based on the lack of time the pre 90 class has had to get itself settled in as a legitimate section of our sport. How long after the introduction of pre 95 will it be before some keen punter starts the call for pre 2000 or a '2 Stroke class'. Based on the rapidity in which the pre 90 class was introduced after the pre 85 class was established and now this call coming so soon after pre 90 gets accepted, it's sure to be only months before someone with an old YZ400F in the shed decides that it's a VMX bike and calls for us old grumblebums to welcome it and its ilk into the VMX movement as the saviour of our supposedly dying sport.

Despite what may be thought of me, I do appreciate bikes from that era and I've owned them and actually like some of the less beige bikes and would love a '92 610 Husky in my collection. However, no matter what you call them they're not VMX bikes......at least not in this decade anyway. Earlier in this thread the suggestion was made to include them as a sideshow on the moderns program which I think is an excellent idea. they're a terrific alternative for the modern racer who might feel a bit alienated on something so ancient as a 1988 model, let alone something so 'other worldly' as a pre 75 bike.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
What I'm seeing more and more of, is that this forum is the old grumble-bum forum, and its only silly bastards like me who bother to swim against the current. Instead, plenty of others are just going away and getting on with their involvement in old bikes without the need to rehash the same old bullshit.
After Christ-knows how many fruitless conversations have been had on this topic on these forums - nada's FB group has 59 members within a few hours, suggesting that the support is far stronger than anyone expected.

It seems so obvious now, but the real problem was looking for support and positivity in the grumble-bum forum.

Well there you go Nath obviously a VMX forum is not the place to drum up support for semi modern classes , facebook is the way to go  :)

You have said in other threads that your old bike days are behind you and that you enjoy the later VMX eras and beyond .
I hope you guys make it work and bring a whole new element to offroad motorcycling .

I have ridden raced bikes from the mid 70s to the present and don't particularly dislike any particular bikes or eras.

VMX is many things to many people but a common theme from the old stuff to the later eras is the challenge of restoration , tracking down parts and using forums like this to share knowledge of various models and sources for parts etc .

Of course 1990 on bikes were a little bit different to the earlier models (mostly gay seat covers and graphics ) I had bikes in that era  ;) there was sweet FA technological advances in that era to speak of up until the Ali framed Hondas and the modern diesels and many would say that was a backward step, so no connection with VMX there .

Once you get past pre 90 wheres the challenge  ??? bikes are a dime a dozen and parts are still readily available at your local dealer ,so any connection with VMX is lost there .

All this wanting to align post 1989 racing with VMX reminds me of a bloke who was once asked if he would like to run a marathon for charity . Shit no he said , then someone told him it was for disabled kids and he thought "fork it i could win this"   ;D   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:41:26 AM by TM bill »

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
its hard to find good old mx bikes and cost big money to sum people after pre 90 are cheaper if you guys stop hording them may let people buy them

TM BILL

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
its hard to find good old mx bikes and cost big money to sum people after pre 90 are cheaper if you guys stop hording them may let people buy them

Mate im assuming that you are talking about the older eras  ??? That argument comes up every few months , the reality is there are way more older bikes on the market than there are buyers .

After 1990 they are cheaper of course as with few exceptions nobody wants them . Once these blokes get their new movement up and running then there will be a market for those model bikes and their prices to will increase .

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:43:30 AM by TM bill »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »

BULLSHIT, What are you living under a rock or something?

A cash strapped planet sending container loads of bikes to every state in the lucky country.

There has never been a cheaper or more plentiful availability of VMX bikes and projects laying in wait for the punter.

It might pay you to think before you open it!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:06:42 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
geezas mick,you said you were off the piss ;D,fork me another 5 pages of shit throwing,geezas Nada i thought you were forking off from us old farts,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
geezas mick,you said you were off the piss ;D,fork me another 5 pages of shit throwing,geezas Nada i thought you were forking off from us old farts,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :P

Yes, well I was ::) Undergoing a massive clean-out at the moment though. Found an old carton of German beer, promptly pored all them down the sink. Found an unopened bottle of Couger Burbon, gave that one to my liver, back on the wagon now though. Just couldn't bring myself to tip that one out ::)

I have seen and know of contents of three miss managed NSW wreckers go through the scraper shredders.
One I inspected on consideration of purchase. Hundreds of bikes and thousands of valuable hard to get parts, gone forever(from the late 60's to pre-85 period). He could have made a fortune through ebay, but he didn't know what he had and instead of researching it, he was too busy spending the proceeds of any sale on the pokies at the pub next door instead of paying his rent.

And I wont be taking shit of anyone that reckons or suggests that people like me choosing to spend hard earn't importing, collecting  and gathering from foreign shores rare frames, engines, hubs and forks etc to construct and add to endangered classes is somehow the reason he cant find a bike. What for free. FFS.

This 77 AW440 project

Recently started for sale on this forum for $3,500, I was told? Then reduce to $1100.
It sat here for over three days at that price, viewed by hundreds of hits, yet still no-sale.

The makings of one of the best pre-78 open classers around. And so many have expressed that they would like one and are looking for one.
What were they waiting for? Free? And I honestly sat back for three days hopping to give anyone other than myself a chance.

Go and GFed!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:51:07 PM by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
May as well go to 2000 2 stroke not much difference  :-\ :-\ :-\ :( :( :(

I like this idea, but that is because I have got a RWJ 500 that was raced in the 2000 World MX Champs.

Anyway back to Pre 95 ????

Here are the facts.

1. Pre 90 was introduced (in MOMS) in 2012 when the 1989 model bikes were 23 years old.

2. An 1994 model bike will be 23 year old in 2017, in three years time.

3. We do have two different groups in the Vintage movement Classic and Post Classic.  While some might dispute this.  This has been shown to me to be reality, by the lac of interest on this forum when I created a thread for the Post Classic Championship next year at Echo Valley Toowoomba.

4. It was only when someone (and I still don't know who) created a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1382144772030061/?ref=5 for the Post Classic MX Champs, that the real interest has been displayed.

5. I do think both Classic and Post Classic can be run together, but there will be times when they won't be.

If a club wants to give Pre 95 a go they can, but at this stage I suggest it isn't called Classic or Vintage MX.  A meeting can be run with other classes as well. The Dirt Track at Nudgee (Miles for Mal) had a class for Veteran riders on modern bikes.

Also please note.  Most older riders (even as young as 30) don't want to race on modern tracks. That is why the Thumper Nats was so popular.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:56:01 PM by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

That's a fair point:)

HAHAH Gay seat covers:) That made me smile:)

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
Firko, you can't claim to be supportive of an era that you also describe as beige...
The backhander shows how shallow your support is.

Bill's beige/all the same description is just as wrong in Pre-95 as it is for Pre-75 - and time spent riding or working on the bikes makes that obvious.

It is very clear that despite some grand statements and the occasional token gestures, the sport of VMX is only about Baby Boomers - anyone else is merely tolerated, but only if they behave exactly the right way...
Congratulations people, you're making your wish come true... ;)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks to the guys who have offered support, the response on the FB site has been enormous and i'm excited as to where it might be taken.

Now a shit load of had work needs to be put in to get something happening!

Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

TM BILL

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Firko, you can't claim to be supportive of an era that you also describe as beige...
The backhander shows how shallow your support is.

Bill's beige/all the same description is just as wrong in Pre-95 as it is for Pre-75 - and time spent riding or working on the bikes makes that obvious.

It is very clear that despite some grand statements and the occasional token gestures, the sport of VMX is only about Baby Boomers - anyone else is merely tolerated, but only if they behave exactly the right way...
Congratulations people, you're making your wish come true... ;)

Thats ironic , i have changed the colour of the statement i wanted to highlight to beige and its virtually invisible  ;D

Allright ill bite what are the big differences then Nathan ? i raced all through that era and cant remember anything significant ??? except the seat cover revolution .
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:33:37 PM by TM bill »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
Same as the differences between 1970 and 1974 then...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.