Author Topic: What happens if you have to much oil ?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
What happens if you have to much oil ?
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
G,day viewers stupid question time. If you have put to much oil in the engine and ran the bike what would it harm ? I have a minarelli 125 that takes a litre but it takes forever to fill as it has know breather whole. Now when I run the bike it forces the oil out of the oil cap. I measured the oil and it was the right amount I put in so what's happening  :-\
Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline SlideRulz

• A-Grade
  • Not anti social just anti idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if you have to much oil ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:30 pm »
Stupid anwer time, does the cap have an "O" ring and is it okay?
I know I've answered with a question but apart from that I would've thought all engines would have a breather.

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 06:25:20 pm »
The breather on my 465 got blocked and the oil got pushed out of the drive shaft seal when hot, I would be putting a breather in the filler cap.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
the gearbox filler hole on the spare minarelli 125 i have  ;),has what looks like a plastic breather tower onit,addmittedly it's pretty blocked up,has yours a 60mm tower with an short appendage angling back down from the top,think it's supposed to be hollow,for a breather application??,another quick test,run the motor,stick your thumb over the gearbox filler hole to see what sorta pressures there,if it's sorta  pulsing fair bit,your engines crank seal might be sus allowing crankcase pressure to pressurise it's gearbox,justa thought, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »
"your engines crank seal might be sus allowing crankcase pressure to pressurise it's gearbox,justa thought, :P"
 I would (unfortunately) be sussing out that area Jimson, having had a TM125 that acted just like your Minarelli. Yes a crank seal was to blame.  Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 03:15:19 pm »
"your engines crank seal might be sus allowing crankcase pressure to pressurise it's gearbox,justa thought, :P"
 I would (unfortunately) be sussing out that area Jimson, having had a TM125 that acted just like your Minarelli. Yes a crank seal was to blame.  Tim754
make your self a 2 stoker engine pressure tester  it was on this forum not long ago :)great diagnostic tool for life :)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:06:16 am »
If the breather isn't blocked, I'd be looking at replacing crank case seals as well.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:08 am »
make your self a 2 stoker engine pressure tester  it was on this forum not long ago :)great diagnostic tool for life :)
get ya tester ;) will give you the answers everytime, in the mean time all engines should be vented by one means or another ie inda case or filler plug, but seriously its cheap and easy to get that test rig up and running then anytime ya 2smokers not on song test and eliminate or prognose its a seal, gasket,case  or manifold ;D