Author Topic: i just noticed this on ebay/is there a class it fits /and what year ?  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: i just noticed this on ebay/is there a class it fits /and what year ?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
Stick a drum brake wheel on the back and a std front end and go EVO and Pre85.

The griffith boys run fancy frames, GLS or some other brand and get in pre 75
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 10:57:39 am »
Stick a drum brake wheel on the back and a std front end and go EVO and Pre85.
That's where I'd put it. There's a big vibe out there for these bikes that could end before it starts if rules and era's for the vintage framers aren't addressed. I understand and support what SON is doing in promoting these bikes but I believe that we need to keep the classifications loosely in line with MoMs. To simplify the whole deal I reckon there should be two loose vintage age cutoffs....pre 75 and Evo. Bikes like the above Yamaha would fit into Evo while machines like my little 360 Yamaha short tracker (below)would slot into pre 75. I think the bikes should be classified under speedway regulations with their own section if they're being used for long track or short track but be classified under Classic Dirt Track if they're being used for traditional short circuit/dirt track. Period disc brakes should be allowed for both classifications with no front brake for long/short track and a mandatory front brake for dirt track making it easy to swap from one discipline to the other by just changing front wheels....basically the difference between Dirt Track and TT racing setup in the US.

For people to become interested in buying and/or importing these type of bikes they need to be capable of being used for both types of racing to get more bang for your buck. To make that possible, some rules, most specifically the drum brake only criteria for pre 75 and Evo need to be repealed more sooner than later.
Below: My MoMs legal pre 75

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21:17 am »
To change this thing would be a farking crime! run it like it is FFS!

Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:36:25 am »
MoMs occasionally can't see the Forrest for the trees.
That said it is difficult to get it right even if you write your own rules.
Who would be a Commissioner??

Right now unless it can be shown the bike was manufactured before 1990 it doesn't fit into any Classic or Post Classic Dirt Track classes.

Modifying if by putting a drum brake on the rear does not make it fit into EVO and I'm sure the forks wouldn't comply also, read 18.5.6.2.

At the moment the MOMS GCRs for C & PC Dirt Track mirror the classes for C & PC MX. any change would need to address that.

The bike as it stands could be raced in Track. I was at the Australian Senior Track Championships a week ago the fastest bike was a 450 slider.

There are separate rules for Classic Track also. Has this Championship ever been run?
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:14 am »
The bike would make a great fun road bike. Front disc and lighting and then the problem of getting it registered.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »
The bike as it stands could be raced in Track. I was at the Australian Senior Track Championships a week ago the fastest bike was a 450 slider.
That's the point I'm trying to make. To own one of these bikes I'd assume the owner would want to cross over between dirt track and Track racing which both carry different regs and cutoffs for classic bikes. For track I'd like to see Evo and pre 75 classifications and I'd like to see a classic class for the big twins, possibly Evo. To make the transition simpler (and cheaper) I'd like to see period disc brakes allowed in the MoMs Dirt Track regs. All an owner would then have to do is fit a front brake to their bike to race dirt track (or replace it with a spool hub if doing the reverse). Even though I'm sure my upcoming OW72 Yamaha will be reasonably competitive with modern twins, I would prefer it to race against similar period framers with Triumph, BSA, XR750, XS based Yamaha motors and other period twin engines, than against modern style bikes. My mates with similar vintage big twins feel the same.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
So do I Mark hense the
OLD SCHOOL
NEW SCHOOL
Just to throw in a curved ball
YAMAHA's 2014 SR400