Author Topic: Group therapy Obsessive Compulsive M/C Hoarding disorder. (And anything else)  (Read 24513 times)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
I came to the conclusion, (Despite my better half telling me for years that I have a problem) that I suffer from OCD when it comes to hoarding and collecting. It seems that a lot on this forum suffer the same by the number of bikes and unfinished projects they have stuffed in sheds.  As a mate said when he walked into my shed for the first time. "Oh, your one of those blokes that never sell anything".

It really hit home for me a few years back when the missus was in hospital having our daughter and I raced out and bought a late model dirt bike. It sat in the shed for over a year before I got the time to ride it. Thing is I forgot to sell the bike it replaced. I realised that it had to stop and I needed to focus on what I had and not what I didn't have. The only bike I have bought since was for my son. I'm still struggling to stop buying parts for projects that may never see the light of day.

But it is a hard disorder to totally conquer. My son has become interested in fishing which has rekindled my interest in it. After snapping the handle off a new reel, I started searching for old Dam and Mitchell reels. Now I'm hoarding vintage fishing gear. I'm trying to control it by by setting a price limit and only grabbing bargains for beer money. And it does feel good to have a 40 year old hand made rod with a German or French crafted reel for less than you can buy a Chinese junk combo from K mart.

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
This is my problem and Im going to keep it . Ive heard a few members on here saying that blokes like me should sell off our hoards and that we are not community minded by limiting the supply for others . Ive worked hard to find and collect my stash , I don't follow other sports bikes are my life . If you want old bikes or parts dig them out they are out there . Iain . ps crash n bern there is nothing wrong with you would your better half prefer you out at the pub or home playing in the shed .
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Ist post is day-jar-voo for me. Even to the extent that I have been making the Tinnie sea worthy for fishing again(need to teach the grand children how to hunt, gather and provide).

But just like Ian, I love motorcycles. My idea of retirement has always been to tinker, modify, restore and ride motorcycles.

I have no desire to waste my time or money by smoking, gambling, drugging or hanging of the local bar.

I don't consider it to be a waste when I score another missing piece of each bike puzzle :) It gives me highs, I am loving it. Wouldn't be dead for quids :)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:25:48 pm by Mick D »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
I prefer to call it FORESIGHT Crash ;D
Sounds better  ;)
People tell me I'me a hoarder but they come to me when they want something fixed and they always ignore where I get the parts.

Those bits you are buying Crash may never come up again so grab them while you can ;)

Advert on local radio up here "quote "  At Yukan**a retirement village all we do is eat , sleep and socialize . ::)
I hope to die in my shed surrounded by my hoardings

Just scored a little Steelite [ made in Sydney] side cast reel which looks just like my  Alvey side cast reel  ;D
Collect everything because you never know when you will need it.
You probable bought this up on the wrong forum Crash.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
I prefer to call it FORESIGHT Crash ;D
Sounds better  ;)
People tell me I'me a hoarder but they come to me when they want something fixed and they always ignore where I get the parts.

Those bits you are buying Crash may never come up again so grab them while you can ;)

Advert on local radio up here "quote "  At Yukan**a retirement village all we do is eat , sleep and socialize . ::)
I hope to die in my shed surrounded by my hoardings

Just scored a little Steelite [ made in Sydney] side cast reel which looks just like my  Alvey side cast reel  ;D
Collect everything because you never know when you will need it.
You probable bought this up on the wrong forum Crash.

Mike52
A man of great vision and foresight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bow 8)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
I was coming home from the tip with an empty trailer (Curse those scavenging laws) and came across a load of dumped concrete rubble at the edge of the conservation park. So I stopped and loaded it up. Yes I'm hoarding concrete rubble. As I dig through it I find a big pile of old bricks, nice ones too, so on they go.  Had enough bricks to pave around the pool area. (Bricks are around $2,500 per 1000 now) As for the concrete rubble I plan to build a retaining wall out of it and cover it in concrete to make a faux rock wall.

Hoarding does have it's benefits. I can make or fix just about anything without having to go to the hardware. And it's good when everything you used was free. You just had to hang on to it for 30 years waiting for that day.

In the Eric Bana film loving the beast he asked Doctor Phil about his dad who had a Ford Thunderbird in his shed but never drove it and refused to sell it. Dr Phil said that it was just knowing that it was there, that gave his father the comfort. Which is so true. Sometimes if I'm busy, I'll just pop into the shed for a sec and just look at my bikes. Or lately just pick up a fishing rod and give it a flick or crank the reel.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
I'm a hoarder and I really don't like it. My problem is that my passion for obscure aftermarket framed bikes has become so over the top that I've got enough projects to keep me going for the next five or six years, maybe longer. Until I got sick a couple of years ago I could easily restore or builld two or three bikes a year but since the meltdown I can only pump out one a year if I'm lucky. The lack of preparation on my Cheney at the Nats pissed me off big time as I should have been concentrating wholly on getting it going properly over the last year instead of getting side tracked onto the 360 Yamaha flat tracker and the two Hindall Yamahas. What I ended up with in the end was, instead of having one nicely sorted Cheney I had two poorly prepped race Yamahas that both shit themselves, a flat tracker that's yet to see dirt and two still unfinished Hindalls. I've now seen the light and won't allow myself to fall into that trap any more, I'm going to concentrate on one bike at a time from here on in and not allow myself to get side tracked on other projects. I'm putting six half built or unstarted projects...ie, two Triumphs, Maico Metisse, two Yamaha Hindalls , 305 Honda dirt track framer and the Fasttrack framed TM250 short tracker in storage so I concentrate all of my efforts into finishing the OW72 750 Yamaha in time for HBBB next Easter. I'll also keep the Cheney Yamaha and Hindall Ducati pre 65 bikes in the shed as they only need minor sorting for next years race program. The TM400 is in the process of being sold, my restored DT1 looks like it's soon to go to a new home, and my rat bike DT1 is possibly going to the loving home of a mate as a long term loaner. That leaves the IT250 vinduro bike and my beloved 350 Maico and 250 Maico trials bike tucked away in the garden shed. Right now my main shed is an absolute shit fight and it annoys me to the hilt. I love building bikes, it's my hobby for god sake, but I don't want to end up with bike on top of bike and parts scattered everywhere like some guys I know. It's starting to do my head in :o.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:34:04 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

albrid-3

mark, you need to get your priority right, you keep on telling me, you are a hoarder, i am not, l grew up in a family that where big time hoarders, what you see on pickers, thats what it was like for me. you need to sell a few bikes Mark, and just be contented with a couple of shed queens and a couple of full on raced prep bikes. I will look after Tony.C next year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:02:20 am by Dave #6 »

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
I will only add one more comment .  " He who dies with the most shxt wins ".
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
And there's bikes on the rebound..........Didn't get the one you wanted ; So you end up buying something completely inappropriate . p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
And there's bikes on the rebound..........Didn't get the one you wanted ; So you end up buying something completely inappropriate . p

And what about driving six hours to look at a bike that's an overpriced POS and you buy it anyway to justify the trip.

I have to agree with Firko I'm at the point that I can't walk through either of my two sheds without tripping on stuff or getting jammed in the ribs by handlebars. The other day I knocked over a tin of paint that burst open. I just had to walk away. Yeah, I hoard half tins of paint.

Offline kdx 175

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
I wish I hade that problem I look at something I like then talk myself out of it and kick myself latter I got 2 bikes kdx 175 yz 250 my son is riding the yz  this year

TM BILL

I have it bad  :( and i want out .

Any offers ?????

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
And what about driving six hours to look at a bike that's an overpriced POS and you buy it anyway to justify the trip.

I have to agree with Firko I'm at the point that I can't walk through either of my two sheds without tripping on stuff or getting jammed in the ribs by handlebars. The other day I knocked over a tin of paint that burst open. I just had to walk away. Yeah, I hoard half tins of paint.
                        I am glad I'm not the only one....and how come a thing is not worth what I paid for it when it comes time to sell.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
mark, you need to get your priority right, you keep on telling me, you are a hoarder, i am not, l grew up in a family that where big time hoarders, what you see on pickers, thats what it was like for me. you need to sell a few bikes Mark, and just be contented with a couple of shed queens and a couple of full on raced prep bikes. I will look after Tony.C next year.
Absolutely Dave, my ideal is to have two good dirt trackers, two motocross bikes and a couple of Classic Dirt only bikes but for one flaw in the program........While most folks on here's hobby is to actually race their bikes, my hobby is actually building them. If I limit my collection to the numbers I mentioned earlier, a bike would have to go on the market every time I finish a new project. The problem here is in deciding which bikes actually leave the family to keep the numbers under control......I have affection for most of the projects and there's a reason for all of their construction so which one goes?.....I don't race motocross any more so it's logical that the motocross tackle is sold off and I keep the dirt trackers that I potentially ride but, which motocrossers go? As I said earlier, it does my head in ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha