Author Topic: 2014 Australian Classic Motocross Titles for pre 78  (Read 77432 times)

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Australian Classic Motocross Titles for pre 78
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2014, 04:23:03 pm »
I was looking at bringing two bikes to the event.  As I'm an old fart and will never be up the front was going to make certain I got my money's worth by riding 250 and 125 class in my age group therefore, not get in anyone's way and get some ride time in the even.  Now I might just bring the one bike.

Why is there pre 78 races for capacity classes but not Age races . I was only coming to ride in Age races  ( like Tossa I did not want to
    get in any ones way ) my bike was going to be a 1976  IT 175 which would be as competitive as a fart in thunder storm.
    is there a reason for this ??

The Stig

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2014, 04:30:42 pm »
It's been like that for a long time pre75 had age classes as well as the normal capacity.  Pre78 was always just stand alone
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »
Check out the regs or programn for how we ran the 2012 and 2013 Nats. Record entry (166) in 2012, and got through the programn no problem.
You can't change the format after entries close for the practical reasons that there just isn't enough time, and secondly riders travelling any distance will have chosen their classes and machines by then.
Chrystal Brook was a great event, but included Evo and Pre85, so the only direct examples are the Classic titles of 2012/13.
Personally I'm with Tossa in that if age groups are only All Powers instead of capacity classes I'll bring only one bike. Assuming S.Seniors race separately to 60yrs+ I'll still get two classes without mixing it with the children.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »
As the moms stands you always get a ride on your bike in the CC class as applicable. (3 races - or take as many bikes to ride as many capacity races as you need)
As a bonus if you have pre 75 bike then you get to race something in your age group( 3 races ) So any pre 75 bike gets 6 rides/races regardless.

bring any other bike pre 78 (75-77 model)and ride it in the appropriate capacity. ( 3 races )
bring any pre 60/65/70 bike and ride it in any of those classes as appriate cut off ( 3 races ) plus ride the capacity pre 75 (3 races) and age group pre 75 (3 races )

there are many alternative to how to structure your  rides, enjoy it and ride all sorts of bikes all over the era's or get serious and pick your one strong class and compete like a pro.

Its really up to the entrant to decide where they fit in with there finances and bike armoury.

Colin your also in the line up for 4 stroke class so technically you have 9 races you can do on a four banger.

We will not be splitting the ages into capacity unless, they are over subscribed, which i doubt will be the case, but if we do split ( say under 250 or over 250 etc depending on the median point we will know this prity soon based on entires ( however that will not change your bike choice as its doubtful but lets see) same as undersubscribed and combininge classes there is no way to ascertain that until entries are in. 

so lets get the entries in.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:26 pm »
also note if you own a piece of crap 4 banger you also get your own race...... ( pre 75 four banger =9 race options)

as previous post above we will ensure every period has a Aussie title class be it combined or other wise as that's the point of all this effort to race ( its not a club day).  If there over subscribed we will look at splitting classes out age wise but again based on numbers.  Also note the pre 75 class is it !, once your CC' gate is full then sorry we cant take any more entries ( 40 gate max) so entries in first best dressed.

Where that is again potentially full with entrants early we may consider running a 3 race consolation round for those who didn't make the pre 75 gate close or they prefer just to ride around in circles with there mate but it will only be a support class.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:00 pm »
Support classes worked well at the Narrogin Nats.  You will probably get the sheep station group arguing about tainting the gene pool though ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:50 pm »
Get your point Kerry, but I (and I think Tossa) were making the point that we, and a lot of older riders ,don't want to be cannon fodder for the young guns. Hence we enter 125, 250 and/or 263+ age classes and not open.
As this is not available this year there is no point in bringing the extra bikes.
Bottom line is you guys run it how you see fit and I'll make my choices accordingly as will others.
Either way we'll be there.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »
Get your point Kerry, but I (and I think Tossa) were making the point that we, and a lot of older riders ,don't want to be cannon fodder for the young guns. Hence we enter 125, 250 and/or 263+ age classes and not open.
As this is not available this year there is no point in bringing the extra bikes.
Bottom line is you guys run it how you see fit and I'll make my choices accordingly as will others.

Yep
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »

X 2   got to agree  Freekshow but this 74 year Old has only got so much energy for a weekend and can only carry 1 bike..
   Regs could be better to get more riders just my thought's.

The Stig

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2014, 09:23:50 pm »
The whole thing about age groups within the pre75 is simply, the age groups that race them.  The dynamic is more over 50 than under.  We love to attend the Nats and be involved and capacity racing within age groups (where possible) brings more bikes, more money, more competitive rides (within age groups) for the older rider.  My thoughts only, are that not only is it a national championship but a celebration of the era and those who rode it.  I will be there which ever way it is run.  I always look at it as being a great event, well run and a chance to have fun with a lot of like minded people.  I got lapped (and I wasn't the only one) in the open championships last yr and wished I had brought a second bike so I could race more with my age group and not get in the way of the kids!!.

We know it's an Australian championship, but it's not modern, it's not for great prestige or money, it celebrates the sport.  We come over from the west to do the best we can and catch up with a hell of a lot of great people, and renew rivalries on the track.

Just my thoughts no more, no less.  I will be there and thoroughly support the event and the club running it

Barry
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2014, 05:24:35 pm »
a few statistics which may be a guide to assist with this event.
       Pre75   250  16-29   2012  2 entries    2013   4 entries   
                          30-39            6                         5
                          40-49            16                      12
                          50-59            28                      18
                          60+               13                      16
     Pre75   263+  16-29             0                         8
                          30-39             3                         3
                          40-49            21                        9
                          50-59            16                       12
                           60+              19                       15
Bear in mind 2012 was a record entry, and 2013 we only had 7 weeks from agreeing to run it (after Canberra withdrew) to first gate drop which obvously affected entry numbers.   

albrid-3

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »
The whole thing about age groups within the pre75 is simply, the age groups that race them.  The dynamic is more over 50 than under.  We love to attend the Nats and be involved and capacity racing within age groups (where possible) brings more bikes, more money, more competitive rides (within age groups) for the older rider.  My thoughts only, are that not only is it a national championship but a celebration of the era and those who rode it.  I will be there which ever way it is run.  I always look at it as being a great event, well run and a chance to have fun with a lot of like minded people.  I got lapped (and I wasn't the only one) in the open championships last yr and wished I had brought a second bike so I could race more with my age group and not get in the way of the kids!!.

We know it's an Australian championship, but it's not modern, it's not for great prestige or money, it celebrates the sport.  We come over from the west to do the best we can and catch up with a hell of a lot of great people, and renew rivalries on the track.

Just my thoughts no more, no less.  I will be there and thoroughly support the event and the club running it

Barry
I agree with tossa, I personally raced the early 70`s to 79 and retired from MX, I came back to the vintage scene in 1990 to relive my era again and enjoy the spirit of it all, I personally enjoy the company of others and bikes. the racing is secondary, I have also enjoyed crashing bars with friends over the years, trophies don`t interest me. its the friendship, atmosphere at meetings and the love of our sport. (Rust never sleeps) David #14.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2014, 06:57:12 pm »
FFFS - we go from one extreme to the other on here.  I am surprised the "hard core" racers have not dropped into this yet.  In the past when you mentioned that you wanted to go to the Nats for a ride - aka Tossa's comments  - all of a sudden the comments came out of left right and centre saying how it was the pinnacle of our sport, we shouldn't sell it cheap, 3 lap races were ridiculous.  This had a big part in my decision to not ride this year as it was all getting too serious and I thought I would look at either CD or HBBB.  Now you guys come on and it is a complete reversal as to what just a few months ago people were advocating.

I love to go to the Nats, compete as best I can, come near dead last and enjoy myself - but the recent mvoement was certainly away from that - check out any nomber of threads.

Waiting  ::)
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2014, 07:16:00 pm »
Have to disagree where it comes to the classic Champs, last year was just damn good fun, with some serious guys at the front.  The Post classic appears to be the 'serious" championships.  Trust me Rossco you would still enjoy it, even though Australian is now your second language!!  Gat you fluoro arse trackside beg fella we had a ball last year and don't expect anything less this year
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:12 pm »
I wish it was true Baz - would be right up my alley if that was the overriding intent - have always stood by not racing for sheep stations.

Mmmmmmm - will have a think after all  ;)
1974 Yamaha YZ360B