Author Topic: Knee Braces  (Read 6777 times)

Simo63

Knee Braces
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
Just looking for some feedback on knee braces please.  I've checked some out at my local bike shop and they were $998!!!!  That's a lot of money even though I know they protects my knees.  I don't spend that much on a helmet and I reckon my head is worth more than my knees.

Anyway I don't want to get into a discussion on that, but would like to hear from others about what brands/models work well for them.

Thanks  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Knee Braces
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »
I will be looking in on this thread with interest Simo.
The hospital said Montynuts second knee was only saved because of the quality of his knee braces.

You get what you pay for.
When I was coming down on my shoulder, I thought, save the bike, just shoulder the ground with my roost  protector,,,,piece of cake.
Miss placed faith in a $100 chinesee roost protector >:(

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:08:25 pm »
Hi Simo, I've have used both Asterisk and Pod knee braces, and found them to be both ok, no good for racing I found and become annoying on long days riding, rips your hair out of legs. I just wear Velcro supports with a hard face now. Cheers Trev

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:27:23 pm »
I have Gally's CTI carbon braces....2K but worth it......didn't break my knee's. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
I have Gally's CTI carbon braces....2K but worth it......didn't break my knee's. ;D

No just transferred the bloody shock load to your poor hips :)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:09:57 pm »
When you've had 2 knee reconstructions $1000 for braces is cheap!
I had the CTI Edge braces ($1200) for 8 years and I've just got the custom fitted CTI carbon braces ($2200) from Gally. They're so comfortable and light you don't even know you're wearing them.
Gally also sells the Matrix for under $1000. I'd talk to him he really knows his stuff and will advise you on the right ones for you

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:22:43 pm »
Because I've got two rooted knees, both having been under numerous surgeries over the last twenty years, I use the insurance of a pair of EVS RS8 braces that can be found online for around $300 a pair. I also have an EVS RS6 left knee brace that's more comfortable than the RS8 (but probably doesn't have as much support) and a Shock Doctor and Mueller lightweight use braces. The latter two aren't especially intended for motorcycling but more for general sport but I do use them when I'm tooling around on my trials bike at the farm. I also found them great for riding my mountain bike until the left knee blew out altogether through no fault of the brace. The Shock Doctor and Mueller are around $50 each on eBay.....or less.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:16 pm »
Greetings from South Africa

Let my recent experience be a lesson to all. I had Asterix braces which I found uncomfortable. So like an idiot I started using the Thor quasi brace but not a brace.

I hav just had a massive  fall. The Thor knee guards did not protect my knees at all. Net result I have destroyed my right knee. I tore off all my ligaments, broke my patella.

My regret I did not invest in another pair of good knee braces. Too busy  no I have plenty of time, a serious amount of pain and a very long haul back

Please learn from my stupidity

Gavin Williams

I will post the video link - I still get sore just watching it
Old and slow - and happy

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »
Bummer Gavin. You do need good protection. I'm from a generation that wore no protection other than open face helmet, goggles, leather pants and gloves.... and I can well remember racing without gloves. When armour came out I bought one of those plastic JT body armour things but hated it and threw it back into the cupboard. Now I'm an old man with rugby rooted knees and a dicky shoulder so I wear it all...an Axo Air Cage body suit, the previously mentioned knee protection, a choice of Bell or Shoei full face and Bieffe open face helmets and Sinsalo Kevlar gloves. I absolutely hate wearing the body suit and knee braces but at 64 I hate pain worse. 
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 04:11:54 pm »
Hi Mark

Could not agree with you more. Anyway on a very positive note my collection of bikes has grown significantly.

I recently purchased the bike that JM Bayle Honda CR 500 that he rode  at Farleigh.  Have a look at  Facebook page - Cape Town masters and VMX - also see my photos on my Facebook page gavin williams.

When l have time I will post a few pics. Dying to hear what you think of the white Rocket CR 250 1978 . I am hoping to Finnish a Honda CR 125 1979 before Christmas - what a beautiful bike
Old and slow - and happy

mainline

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:46 pm »
I had a pair of the asterisk braces but couldn't get the adjustment right. They were never comfortable. I ended up with a pair of Pod braces, very comfortable yet feel secure/snug fitting. They reminded me of the old CTI braces I had in the 90's as far as fit was concerned.

I think the trick with any of them  is to wear a set of skins under them, no hair ripped out etc. And they stay in place better.

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 04:53:14 pm »
Have had  Asterisk knee braces for 5 years now with no problems . Setting them up is a bit of pain, but once sorted there is no going back -that's riding without them.

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »
I use PODS!!  the Carbon Fiber will cost you $1200 for a pair, but worth the investment!!

I have actually found they help when gripping bike:)
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline kenny5000

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
I have been using POD's for about six years (paid $800 at the time) after damaging my MCL. After a few rides I was used to them and have worn them for 5day rides with no issues. They have saved me a number of times and even taken the full weight of the bike after a trip over the bars. There are concerns that they transfer force to other parts of your lower body however these areas are generally stronger than the knee so can take more force. Ill be getting a new set soon as mine are getting on and I recently found out I can claim braces under my health insurance so this makes them a lot cheaper.

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:20:04 pm »
Hey Simo, Pods now make a plastic brace identicle to the carbon fibre unit [K300 mx] for under $300 each. You get different sizes to suit the different wobbley knees that are around. They have wedges to adjust how much the knee will bend back. Also fox and I guess other brand may to, make long socks for knee braces. I never ride with out them anymore as they give you full confidents straight away.
Cheers Troy