Author Topic: Triumph powered what???  (Read 64289 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph powered what???
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:07 am »
Thanks for the informative write up Mark. You've still got the knack when it comes to the facts on old beasts. I reckon you could find a couple of longer studs to replace the ones already in the centre of the head for the rocker covers. From there it should be easy enough to manufacture a decent head stay. I did just that on my B44 as I thought the original head stay was way too light and very agricultural in the way it only mounted to one side of the frame gusset and head stay/ decomp bracket. The original part wouldn't have held anything from bending as it only had 2 bolts, in effect making it a useless hinge.

I do like the OIF Trackmaster frame. Having the oil tank as part of the back bone would definitely stiffen the frame a whole heap and stop the back bone from bending during off road racing.

I would of loved to have been around when the Triumphs ruled the streets and deserts and '55 Chevy Nomads where cheap and easy to find. Even more so for the music and the girls wearing flared skirts, bobby socks and bowling shoes.... But that's another story!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

TM BILL

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2013, 09:47:37 am »
I've come in a bit late on this thread, what is wrong with a 650 twin Yamaha it would be more reliable than a pommy bike and cheaper for parts. I'm sure they were around to be legal for pre75.

Nothing wrong with the Yam motor  :) but Brad was asking about what Triumph motor to use . A 2013 KTM 250 2T would in theory be more reliable and parts more available and cheaper but wheres the fun in that  ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2013, 10:13:41 am »
I would of loved to have been around when the Triumphs ruled the streets and deserts and '55 Chevy Nomads where cheap and easy to find. Even more so for the music and the girls wearing flared skirts, bobby socks and bowling shoes.... But that's another story!
So would I. Even though I'm 64, I pretty much missed out on the Triumph era. While the cops still rode Triumphs at the time I got my drivers licence, the Honda 750 four was just about to change everything on the streets of the world. I started racing in 1969/70 and by then the two stroke had well and truly entrenched itself in motocross and was fast doing the same in dirt track. There were still the odd Tribsa, BSA or Metisse around but the CZ/Husky/Greeves/Bultaco era had really taken hold. I'd never thought much about owning a Brit thumper until I had my first ride on Jonesy's legendary Black Betty (OK, I know the engine's Czech but you get my drift) and the rest is history. Rides on his B50, CCM, Cheney Matchless and Weslake Metisse further convinced me that these things are as cool as penguin piss. It's hard to be a mate of Alan's and not get whipped up in a love of Brit dirt bikes and aftermarket framed things. I've caught a low res version of his disease ;D.

Was there ever a time when Chevy Nomads were cheap? I think they were considered classics the moment they left the dealers lot. The best looking station wagon ever 8). Sorry for the thread deviation but Nomads are cool

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2013, 11:28:20 am »
Triumph guys have the best pit tootsies.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2013, 01:41:41 pm »
and those megaphones!!!!!  as the young singer says "Hear me Roar!" :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
where is the bike???
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »
where is the bike???
I forgot to take a photo Mike and dads about as tech savy as my dog.
He would have the guards off it already and would be tinkering right now I reckon.
I've come in a bit late on this thread, what is wrong with a 650 twin Yamaha it would be more reliable than a pommy bike and cheaper for parts. I'm sure they were around to be legal for pre75.

Nothing wrong with the Yam motor  :) but Brad was asking about what Triumph motor to use . A 2013 KTM 250 2T would in theory be more reliable and parts more available and cheaper but wheres the fun in that  ;)
that and the fact I'm looking at pre 65 as well.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:58 am »

Was there ever a time when Chevy Nomads were cheap? I think they were considered classics the moment they left the dealers lot. The best looking station wagon ever 8). Sorry for the thread deviation but Nomads are cool

Nothing wrong with your taste Firko  ;D I don't know if the Nomad was ever cheap......But I imagine they would of been a hell of a lot cheaper (second hand) back in the 60's than what they are now.

I fell in love with british four strokes the moment I heard a B50 and Triumph Metisses at full song blasting down the straight. I had 2 Elsinores at the time and then when a mate gave me a ride on his B50....I just had to have one so the Elsinores found new homes. I realised the 2 smoker was not for me even though 1 of them had all the go fast bits from the day on it. I just love the torque factor involved with the big pommy four strokes. I did get a ride on a T100 Metisse and aboslutley loved the thing, even though it burnt the crap out of my calf....I didn't even know it until I got off the bike. I was having too much fun to feel the pain  ??? Maybe if I trim the fleet of 14 bikes down by a few I can get me one of them there T100 Metisse's. The picture is in my head....sky blue, black motor with polished rockers and side covers, Morgo 570 kitted........just as well dreams are free!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
How's this for a sweet TriBSA

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »
My dream Cheney Trumpy project to match my Yamaha version.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »
Why settle for one Triumph 500? Here's two together... ;)
and yes those four straight out pipes played a gorgeous tune. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:37:51 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
My dream Cheney Trumpy project to match my Yamaha version.

Absolutely gorgeous bike! Anybody know where I can a set of these style side covers? I've been looking on evil bay for ages and only ever saw one set, made from alloy but with a bodgey looking bead around the edge.

There is no way known I would ever be throwing a leg over that twin motored sidecar Tim..... I always knew there was something not quite right about sidecar people  ::)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2013, 07:16:11 pm »
Those covers are genuine Cheney. I made my own for my Cheney, it was pretty easy actually as I've got a beading machine for the beased number section and I got a hot rodder mate to cut the louvers.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2013, 09:16:40 pm »

Absolutely gorgeous bike! Anybody know where I can a set of these style side covers? I've been looking on evil bay for ages and only ever saw one set, made from alloy but with a bodgey looking bead around the edge.

Here you go  ;)

http://www.holtworks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d9_sidepanels.html

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2013, 07:45:49 am »
Thanks Ola Martin..... Holtworks are very expensive though.