Author Topic: Rear disc brakes on flat trackers - eligibility?  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Rear disc brakes on flat trackers - eligibility?
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:42 pm »
What are the rules re flat trackers and use of rear disc brakes. Presently replacing front spool hub with a braked hub on a 70s Trackmaster. It's running a top quality rear disc brake on a quick change hub. Can it stay or does it have to go?
Rosco86

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rear disc brakes on flat trackers - eligibility?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:52:06 pm »
has to go sorry rosco
my champion pre75 has honda hubs back and front all pre75 legal
my yetman has honda twin leader front and bsa rear all pre65 legal
my now sold staracer had yamaha rear honda front all pre78
this is were it gets stupid
1977 bultaco astro comes with rear disc brake but you cant ride it in evo but ok in pre85 pre90
jim

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
So the rear factory disk  on the Redline Champion 1972 750 Yamaha, that I am very very familiar with ,is a no goer. Sad really as it was on it when the Street brothers brought it and its clone twin out here ..back  then.... I do have dated newspaper articles from then showing it leaning against the fences at Bendigo speedway.... 
 Disk is a useless piece of equipment really and the type that used the rear sprocket as the rotor from the same era........ ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:53:25 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »
Hey Tim was racing a night at The Bedingo Showgrounds when Herman (Trevor Flood) tried to punt the big yammie around. It was running a rear disc. Just a pity when you have to change the setup. Takes quite a while to find hubs that are of the period and fit. What suggestions do you boys have? Has bettor forks so I reckon a bullie hub will be the go, but the rear might be interesting. Left hand drive change, right hand brake??

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »
I'm not going to remove the disc off my Shell 750 Yamaha. To do that would destroy the integrity of a rare and historic bike. If you're intending on riding in MA dirt track competition you could challenge that both the Hurst Airheart and Grimeca disc brakes are pre 75 legal. It's time the brake rules for DT are upgraded.

I just bought these'..... 

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:31 pm »
Pre 70 Legal

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:27:57 am »
Have photos of the bike I have racing in 73 in the States with the disc brake. Think I will restore her with it left on. Either they will let me trail around at the very back or they won't. Be a shame not to see these types of bikes out and about. If it only goes to some club days and Broadford Bonanza, so be it.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31:22 am »
Please don't change it Rosco!

Are you maintaining the 19" rims/quick change hub etc?

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:26:55 pm »
Hey Steve, will be leaving it all original except I'll build a front wheel to replace the spool one but keep it for show and shines. I'm in Brissy and hope to have a punt around on it at Nudgee and Maryborough with the 22 year old son giving it a proper blowout. He hasn't raced since he was 16 . If he doesn't make the Aussie team for Glasgow it's togs in the cupboard and the smell of fumes instead.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »
Think I will restore her with it left on 
Good on you for leaving the disc on. I'm going to fit a disc to my Yamaha tracker ;). Are you bringing it down to Broadford next Easter? Jonesy, Phippsy and I are bringing along our big 750's as well as our other American flat trackers. Come on down and chuck a few skids.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:51:43 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 10:16:40 am »
That's great Rosco, looking forward to hearing it at both venues in 2014. I'm struggling at the moment but hoping to have my bully sorted and a modern with R6 forks and 19's for next year.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 03:11:09 pm »
If the stars go the right way hope to take it to the Bonanza and catchup with the family. Hope you have recovered from your last busy weekend Mark. Leg healing ok? Limped around all day with gout in the right ankle and a shoddy left knee. At the doctors today to see what can be done with the knee. Need to lose weight badly but obviously like the good stuff too much.
Rosco86??

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 03:27:19 pm »
  If the stars go the right way hope to take it to the Bonanza and catchup with the family. Hope you have recovered from your last busy weekend Mark. Leg healing ok? Limped around all day with gout in the right ankle and a shoddy left knee. At the doctors today to see what can be done with the knee. Need to lose weight badly but obviously like the good stuff too much.
Rosco86??
Yeah, the legs OK, a bit of a decent scar but I'm ugly enough to handle another scar. That'll be good about Broadford, we're going to have rollers so no more of that pushing and kicking bullshit. I'm hoping to have my 305 Honda twin tracker there as well.
I'm going to make a concerted effort to knock off the last 30kg...the arthritis is bad enough without lugging around 130kg. I imagine our bikes will appreciate the gesture as well Ross.....good luck with it.

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:24:23 am »
Does that mean ill have replace the front (spooled) wheel on cycle factory tracker with a braked front wheel ?
If so any suggestions to keep it pre 75

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:26 am »
This is a point I commented on over at http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=32150.msg313822;topicseen#msg313822. According to MoMs you need a front brake Piney which really shouldn't be needed for long track or short track but you'll need it for dirt track with its stop and go corners. That's why I reckon these bikes should come under speedway rules if they're to be used for long and short track. If they're racing dirt track the current two brake rule is right, although I think period disc brakes should be allowed on bikes like yours and mine that had discs originally.