Author Topic: How to prevent 'monkey-butt' ?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
How to prevent 'monkey-butt' ?
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:22 am »
Hey Guy's,  Any of you old & wise chaps have any ideas on preventing 'monkey-butt'?  I presume that is what I am suffering from after lots of laps during the day?  I know I am sitting-down too much but I am not going to get strong legs over-night, so best I find another cure.

I've never sufferred with this problem before in my 40 year riding history.  The problem is worse after a few hours on the RMZ450, the big fourstroke with its engine-braking sees my poor butt sliding forward & back a lot .... ouch!

I Googled it, most suggestions say that talcum-powder helps, but I am sweating so much it would just turn to clag in my crack!  This problem sees me ending my days riding before any other issues.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Tony T

Re: How to prevent 'monkey-butt' ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:13 am »
In my experience, lycra cycling shorts work well.
But not the ones with the chamois in the crutch.
The lycra allows the pants to rub against them rather than your arse.  ;)

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:51 am »
Never tried it but Ballards do have this available

http://www.ballards.cc/anti-monkey-butt-powder
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:45:44 am »
I concur with Tony T re the padded Lycra bicycle pants .. a bit how's your father but they work okay :)

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:49 am »
talcum-powder , lycra pants and stand up a little more.

The talcum powder certainly works , however if your'e  sweating alot you may need to apply extra talcum powder through out the days riding.
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »
Good old Johnsons Baby Powder....talc. I'll pass on the lycra, I wouldn't be a pleasing sight in lycra, that's for sure ::)......That reminds me of the time I was in a coffee shop in Byron Bay when a couple of healthy pushy riders all decked out in Lycra came in for their skinny latte. If having two forty + year old lads  in lycra suits wasn't enough, one of them had cracked a roaring erection and hadn't realised it. The atmosphere in the café went as quiet as a mouse until our two budding Lance Armstrongs adjourned to the park across the road to consume their coffees. As soon as they left the café everyone in the place broke up in unrestrained laughter, it was a bonding experience. It was just one of those little moments that make ones day.............resume Monkey Butt thread
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:16:33 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »
You wear the Lycra UNDER your normal riding pants, Firko!

And it works. I have a pair of "Skins" which are better than any bicycle shorts I've ever used.
I also wear a pair of cotton Reg Grundies under the Skins - they give a degree of moisture absorbtion and another layer of movement.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:19:25 pm »
You wear the Lycra UNDER your normal riding pants, Firko 
Ooohhh, so that's how it's done ::) I'd still have to bare my lycra'd form to whoever was nearby while putting my riding pants on. I'm way too shy for that ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
Skins are the best
SKINS has pioneered engineered gradient compression  and dynamic gradient engineering research. When you apply compression to specific body parts in a particularly balanced and accurate way, it accelerates blood flow. This gets more oxygen to your working muscles – and boosts your performance when the body is under very extended duress.
Better blood flow also helps your body to get rid of lactic acid and other metabolic wastes – which helps you work at a higher rate for longer. Plus, improved oxygenation reduces the effects of delayed onset muscle soreness and accelerates muscle repair. Skins have particularly good wicking qualities which allows the moisture to move to the outside of the garment giving a abeatic cooling effect in very warm weather but most importantly stopping the garment freezing to your skin in arctic conditions.

The stiffy thing with the cyclist must have been hilarious
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »
Long Lycra thermals work well and stop the knee guard straps digging into the back of your legs
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »
Baby powder is the cheapest and works in both ya undies and your tyres.
Stops friction/pinching  in both instances ;)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »
This stuff is good John,I think I got it from a chemist  http://www.neatfeetcare.com/ChafingSweat-Rash-Underarm.html  Also Skins are great as the others say,I have Aldi ones they have them every now & then a lot cheaper than the name brand ones,dunno if they are as good as I have not tried the others but like most Aldi stuff i reckon they work & are durable,mine are 2 years old & still perfect:),I find my modern bike gets into me more because of the gripper seat ;)

Offline nada

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »
You wear the Lycra UNDER your normal riding pants, Firko!

And it works. I have a pair of "Skins" which are better than any bicycle shorts I've ever used.
I also wear a pair of cotton Reg Grundies under the Skins - they give a degree of moisture absorbtion and another layer of movement.

I wear "Skins" and they work a treat, im only sore form muscle fatigue.

And, Firko, i bet the coffee wasn't all those pushy riders consumed in the park!!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:50:04 pm by nada »
Cheers

Nada
Honda is the only way to roll!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:38:40 pm »
 In my very early days at MDMCC I remember some of the older riders talking about losing skin onto the inside of their leathers when they 'dropped the model' at speed, saying that wearing ladies "swami undergarments" was the answer.

Never tried it myself! probably because one usually needed to get changed in public view.
  cheer
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Viper65

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48:46 pm »
You know how much riding I do - and on an RMZ450...
I just wear skins (KMart/Target, $20 a pair) and they work great when you put the knee guards over the top which was what I originally bought them for
Suzuki RM370B, RM400C, RM400N, RM250D, RM250K, PE250 (82), KTM 250GS (81), KTM350GS (88), XR600 x 2, RMZ450 x 2 (07 and 012), KTM250 EXC, Gas Gas 125 (08), Gas Gas 250 (10) Trials & TTR125 and XR80 (82)
Author of Scooter News