Author Topic: GMC HL  (Read 10816 times)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: GMC HL
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 10:29:46 am »
Nice but you could make the same for less.A bike or car is only worth what some one will pay for it not what it owes you.
His highest bid should tell him he is miles away from the market
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 10:34:08 am »
If the guy who makes the frames was half smart he would buy it just to push the value of them up like the dodgy GT Falcon owners did.... ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:55 am »
The HL isn't worth the 13+k and I'm sure the fisherman seller knows that. For what I've seen of the market for high end bikes it's a 8-9k bike but even then it'd have to be a killer race and show bike. Despite the still bad economy, the market for the exotic and collector bikes is maintaining and in some cases improving while the more common models go down in price. For some reason the market for quality pre 65 bikes such as Matchless Metisse, Cheney 650 Triumph and BSA B44GPs is rising. The same is happening with CCM's, C&J XR Hondas and the rarities like YZ360 A/B. Considering only 35 were made, the 350 Maico should be up with them as well. The real bargains right now are on the dirt track side of the fence but it won't be like that forever. Good open class aftermarket framed Yamaha's, Triumphs and the like can be had for $5k and up and I've occasionally seen XR750 Harleys for $12-15k. If you're cashed up and have a hankering for an 'investment' bike, now's the time to buy.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline HL500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:03 pm »
I think he is outer touch Yamaico, a replica of a HL500 is never going to be worth more than a YZ360A and I would have thought  a 490 Maico. Stuff in America is always way cheaper than here and you would never get 13k for one here....I think that price is probably what a genuine HL is worth.

How much was the one that VMX built back a few years ago?  Be interesting to compare.  I know what mine cost but it depends on how elaborate you want to go.  I went elaborate.  I'd expect you'd find a wide variety of prices depending on suspension, engine modifications not to mention the very reasonable price to purchase the necessary bits from Geoff (GMC).  I have seen some very nice XT frame replicas that have definitely been built to a budget so it can be done there is no doubt.

Labour doesn't really come into it when you sell stuff on ebay but looking at some of the "exotic" HL replicas over the years I'd be surprised if there were much change out of $10k in some of them.  Just take the wheels, Ohlins, engine kit and frame/swingarm and you are looking at $8k I would have thought.

Maybe I am out of touch but I'd be interested in some of the contributors putting together a budget for a GMC replica with all the right kit and posting it.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
I reckon to build a good one, you'd sink 10 to 15k into one...the funny thing is for the amount of those bikes being built you never see them on the track or at least not very often.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
When I bought my real one in 1979 I paid twice as much as I could have bought a new TT500
While I don't think that it is worth twice what a WR450 is now it is certainly worth at least one.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 06:36:01 am »
SON,

That's a good way to look at it.  Fully rebuilt/restored and "like new", with a limited supply for sale vs. one or two in every Yamaha dealership.  Are they both worth $9K?  I know one will lose $2K value as soon as it leaves the dealership, in the back of your truck.

;)
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen