Author Topic: NSW speedway act  (Read 3015 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
NSW speedway act
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
So what is this mysterious act of parliament that restricts all events in NSW?
If the course has to be behind a fence where does it state what the fence needs to be made from?

Curiosity got the better of me but this is all I could find..

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+494+1999+cd+0+Y/?dq=Regulations%20under%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Sports%20%28Public%20Safety%29%20Act%201985%20No%2024
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: NSW speedway act
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
Interesting question.

A quick look turned up the original, FWIW:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/num_act/srsa1957n69311.pdf

But there's no question that it has been amended at least once:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/deep/reprints-acts.html#S

No, wait, I think I've found the current version:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+481+2010+cd+0+N/?dq=Regulations%20under%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Sports%20(Public%20Safety)%20Act%201985%20No%2024

Can't tell if its a crap website that doesn't actually show the act, or my phone sucking at the Internet - I think the latter.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Montynut

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
Everyone still refers to it as the Speedway ACT but it was actually changed to the Motor Vehicle Sport (Public Safety) ACT in the mid to late '80s
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/subordleg+494+1999+cd+0+Y/?dq=Regulations%20under%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Sports%20%28Public%20Safety%29%20Act%201985%20No%2024

when you open the link above there is a button at the top that says 'Parent Act". Regulations have no power in their own right they are enpowered by and ACT. The regulations can be easily updated while an ACT needs to make it way through the entire Parlimentary system to be amended.

This ACT calls into force the regulations that you linked. The restrictive nature is the fact the regulations require consent from the local council, police etc or an indication from those bodies that they do not object or have any input into the land being used for motorsport.

Basically a track or circuit needs to be inspected by
a) MA or in the case of NSW MNSW - this inspection is all about competitior, official and spectator safety in relation to the racing taking place.
b) the NSW department of Sport and recreation must also licence the track (MNSW can not issue their licence until the MNSW Sport & rec licence has been issued. This inspection is carried out by the police department and is all about public safety and includes things like spectator fences, pit area fences, distances from the racing, access to and from the property, safe access to and from to the public road and even ammenities such as available toilets, water etc. The local Council is consulted before initial licencing notified each year.

Now this does not apply in the Aust Capital Territory and does not apply to non speed events such as Moto Trials and from what I can under stand Enduros were outright speed is not the determining factor.

This means that to hold the Canowindra Cup each year there are weeks of preparation required with the track set out for each of the track inspection which may not be at the same time and fees paid to both bodies.

This all came about back in the '50s with the amount of carnage that took place at the Sydney Showground speedway or more specifically the continual death of spectators when bikes or more often cars cleared the fence and hit spectators.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:53:27 pm by Montynut »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »
Needs repealing
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:11:21 pm »
This all came about back in the '50s with the amount of carnage that took place at the Sydney Showground speedway or more specifically the continual death of spectators when bikes or more often cars cleared the fence and hit spectators
While the competitor deaths at the Showground had some influence on the introduction of the act, a cluster of accidents where spectators were killed or seriously hurt prompted the most action. One of those accidents was at the old Gnoo Blas circuit in Orange when a race car left the track and hit a picnicking family group, killing a number of them. That's what inspired the draconian spectator fence regulations, the safety of the rider/driver being of secondary consideration to keeping the car/motorcycle within the race circuit and away from spectators.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Montynut

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »
Needs repealing
That is just not even remotely likely

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »
 I have an original copy of the 'speedway public safety bill' 1958?9? That I got from my local state member somewhere.
 I remember the Phrase 'where speed is the determining factor' being the key to any motor sporting restrictions.

pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Montynut

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »
This all came about back in the '50s with the amount of carnage that took place at the Sydney Showground speedway or more specifically the continual death of spectators when bikes or more often cars cleared the fence and hit spectators
While the competitor deaths at the Showground had some influence on the introduction of the act, a cluster of accidents where spectators were killed or seriously hurt prompted the most action. One of those accidents was at the old Gnoo Blas circuit in Orange when a race car left the track and hit a picnicking family group, killing a number of them. That's what inspired the draconian spectator fence regulations, the safety of the rider/driver being of secondary consideration to keeping the car/motorcycle within the race circuit and away from spectators.

Yes you are corrcet Firko I remember reading that now. The problem was they gave no time to comply and it closed a lot of circuits permanently and others for months from what I have been told.