Author Topic: Tripes - re-creation Carlsbad and Saddleback  (Read 5371 times)

GT43

Tripes - re-creation Carlsbad and Saddleback
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:19:51 am »
I think this is awesome.
Makes me want to go over there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq4vYOZ89LI

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Tripes - re-creation Carlsbad and Saddleback
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »
That is so very cool! Looks like a fun track to ride too.

Offline ozyditcher

• B-Grade
  • saddleback park made me leve Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:44:21 am »
Iprivilege to race on both othe original tracks. Saddleback Park. is still there just overgrown with weeds, closed in 1984. I Drive by it everyday it was one of the best motorcycle parts around.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:00:51 am »
Now that's an awesome story. And an even better track. The Americans seem to be able to do things so much bigger! It'd be fantastic if we had that sort of visionary perspective in Australia, well, in NSW and Vic in particular. The Sandgropers and Canetoads do a pretty good job of it.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:48:36 am »
Absolutely love what Marty Tripes is doing! A two day event using the Carlsbad and then the Saddleback replica tracks would be awesome. All the greats there plus racing action would make a fantastic reason to get to California for that week. Time to start saving up  ;D  8)
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

GT43

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »
I think I might start saving myself. 8)

"TBM" has a good point here.
Are there any great tracks in Australia that we have lost that need re-creating ? Amaroo comes to mind.
How would a Saddleback replica go in OZ ?
Not saying VMX in Australia needs it, but it could add a little pizzazz to the schedule?

Used to read the old American "Dirt Bike" mags when I was a lad, and always thought there's something cool about a wooden picket fence going around a motocross track.

I think your lucky man "Ozy" to have ridden these tracks.

Cheers fellas.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 03:57:39 pm »
Iprivilege to race on both othe original tracks. Saddleback Park. is still there just overgrown with weeds, closed in 1984. I Drive by it everyday it was one of the best motorcycle parts around. 
I never raced at either but I play rode at Saddleback and never missed a USGP at Carlsbad from 1975 -1980. Carlsbad was a great spectator track and one big party during the GP. As a weekend play racer the big problem at Saddleback was the hundreds of weekend Kamikazes trying their hardest to kill both you and themselves. My personal favourites were the Shadow Glen track at Indian Dunes and the track at Corona (can't recall its name). I loved spectating at Mammoth Mountain too. I saw Marty Tripes win a meeting up there way after his pro career had ended and he had started to 'bulk up' ;). The man could ride.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »
Mammoth is an awesome track Firko, one of the best I've seen and up there with Unadilla and Farleigh Castle and better than what we have here...

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:01 am »
I think I might start saving myself. 8)

"TBM" has a good point here.
Are there any great tracks in Australia that we have lost that need re-creating ? Amaroo comes to mind.
How would a Saddleback replica go in OZ ?
Not saying VMX in Australia needs it, but it could add a little pizzazz to the schedule?

Cheers fellas.

Funny you mention Amaroo. That was the first track that came to me as well. ANY new vintage friendly track in Victoria or NSW would add some pizzazz to the mix. I've never been to any of the US tracks but from what I see on tele, they do know how to build em....

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 05:53:51 pm »
If I win lotto next Sat nite ill buy a few hundred acres and make another Connondale track..  :)

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 08:51:25 am »
Excellent. Connondale would be another great track to have down south. So would a replica of WAVMX's Narrogin track. That track is AWESOME

GT43

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:20 pm »
Excellent. Connondale would be another great track to have down south. So would a replica of WAVMX's Narrogin track. That track is AWESOME

Cant say that ive heard of Narrogin, but no doubt a good track. People that I have met in the past, swear that WA is Gods country.

The old Broadford track would  be a good one.  Just saying.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:56 pm »
Christmas Hills! J

Offline Big Al

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »
Wallan and Mortlake

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »
Great video posting GT43 thank you.

Christmas Hills would indeed have to be a reproduction, as your not going to ever race on a  fresh water supply dam. Some of the old track is still visible above the water line after all these years. (Don't ask how I have seen this myself in the restricted area within the past four months...  ::)
 Wallan from an earlier thread appears to be still visible too, but not likely to be ever open for racing again.
The old volcano crater Mt Shadwell at Mortlake mmm maybe maybe someone or someones in the know might try pulling a few strings or even kissing a few butts?????? That would be well attended meeting !!!! ;) I would definitely drag out the old sidecar for play there, even if we did roll it (again) on those treacherous off camber crater sides!!! ;)  Tim754
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:37:47 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.