Author Topic: Restoration link, tips, anything really  (Read 8423 times)

Offline CraigBa

• Novice
    • View Profile
Restoration link, tips, anything really
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:52:03 pm »
Picked up a 81 RM125X that will be my first resto project. New to this mechanical stuff, work on computers, networks, etc but not very mechanically gifted.

Looking for tips, links to information, that kind of thing to guide me, along with the people here  :)

Cheers
"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense".

MV Agusta Brutale
89 Honda CR125
89 Honda CR500

oldfart

Re: Restoration link, tips, anything really
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »
Buy yourself a clymer workshop manual ..... Use alpha sport  as a parts reference ..... And if you get stuck ask here, and someone will help you out

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »

lm looking to start a restoration on a 1978 ke175.

l think for cleaning up old parts of paint and corrosion a sand blaster like this would be really handy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290887315840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Lots of bikes look good from a distance, its when you get close you notice the owners attention to detail.

Geoff

Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:20:31 pm »
81 RM125X .
Looking for tips, links to information, that kind of thing to guide me, along with the people here  :)
Cheers

Yep as oldfart says
and
you could start a topic on Suzuki section or Tech Talk section.  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:53 am »
Photograph everything before you pull it apart. from all angles and after you pull it apart as its ideal for reassembly when there is too many washers left over. get some heat shrink tube for the wiring and as above a parts and workshop manual so you can figure out what the right length bolts are for what bits. go buy a bag full of nylock 6, 8 and 10mm nuts and washers.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:17 am »
as john cahill above said,good advice
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:39 am »
A couple of personal disassembly/reassembly habits I stick to wherever practical

- When disassembling, after removing a component I wind each bolt, nut etcetera back into its "home" wherever possible.  That way, for example, when I go to reassemble the gear shift lever onto its shaft, the correct bolt is sitting there in the gear lever.
 - When disassembling cases, clutch covers, I prepare a template to hold each screw while it is out of the motor.  For one off motors, I draw a diagram of the case / cover on a piece of cardboard and punch holes in it for each bolt.  For engines I work on regularly, I use one of those plastic chopping board with 6mm holes drilled in it (cheap & reusable), with diagrams for each of the major covers / cases. 

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:18:41 pm »
All of the above and read any topic on here that has anything remotely technical or with practical tips etc and bookmark it or put it in a word document and print it out.  It helps for all those first time jobs that you have to do  ;)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:54 pm »
The bolt trick works great...until you want to replate all your bolts for that new look. the platers like them all in a bucket as they charge by the job lot. that's where the parts manual comes into its own as you figure out where each bolt belongs.

if your not plating them then a template as suggested above is a great trick as I have spent a lot of my time testing which bolts go where in clutch covers etc

if you decide to powder coat anything, make sure it is spotlessly clean from all grease and oil as it will run when the heat is applied.

also put dummy bolts into all threaded holes as the powder coat will fill it to the extent that you may need to retap them. its tough stuff.

enjoy

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »
I'm like you, a real novice just finishing my first. I photo everything as suggested, but I also use my I phone and film it and give myself a dialogue over the filming on how it came off and  then place it back on loosely explaining how to get it back together. Its often  easier to understand what you are doing when talking to your self. Or is it ? I then download this onto a stick as a back up as well.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:57 pm »
The home movie is a great idea, I must set the go pro up for strip downs... such a simple idea....I only use them in the be... no more on that :o

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:18:34 am »
All of the above.....

I used a heap of zip lock bags (used for the kids lunch) grouped like parts together with a note reminding me how if came off and lost of photos

With gear boxes etc I saw a trick using egg cartons - you number each cup in the carton and as you pull something off you place it it the cup so you know the order it came apart

Cheers
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
I use all of the above tips which are all chapters in "restoration 101". No matter what you do though, make sure you've got a decent set of tools. By decent I don't mean the most expensive Snap-On, just good forged spanners which can now be picked up at Supercheap, Repco, Bunnings and even Aldi from time to time.  The following is a good starter kit.
* A full set of Metric open end spanners.
* A full set of metric ring spanners.
* A set of cheap (Aldi etc) ratchet ring/open end metric spanners. (not 100% necessary but very handy)
* A decent set of metric sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive.
* A large shifting spanner...(but use it  sparingly)
* A decent set of screw drivers inc. 3 or 4 different sized Phillips head and 3 or 4 straight head.
* An impact screw driver.
* A couple of different sized hammers ranging from 5 oz to a 12oz ball peen. A rubber hammer, a copper and cowhide Thor hammer.
*A set of chisels and punches.
* A 4" grinder with a variety of grinding, cutting and sanding discs.......buy the best quality cut off discs as possible as cheap ones can explode without warning.
* A decent cordless drill with either 14.4v or 18v battery.....don't go for 9v or 12 v as they often run out of puff very quickly
*A decent mid priced set of imperial drills preferably the new style cold tiitanium coated variety.
*A couple of crowbar/pinch bars about a foot long. Cheap at $2 shops.

It's handy but not essential to have
*A good 1.5hp compressor and accessories including a rattle gun and spray equipment.
*A set of metric T wrenches
*An Oxy-Acetylene welding set.
*A cordless or corded jig saw
*A power saw.
A parts washer....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Parts-Washer-75-Litre-/121152884033
*A TIG welder.......only if you know how to use it.
*A hydraulic bike work stand  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Hydraulic-bike-Lift-Table-450kg-stand-jack-hoist-/281059048257?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41706cbb41
http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/hand-tools/sockets-spanners-tool-kits/tool-kits?gclid=CMWX9ZeDqboCFUtFpQodTFAA7w
http://84.17.188.19/au/html/offers/2827_27269.htm

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:47:29 am »
Allen keys and star keys can be added to that list
along with ...

cable oilers, crc, inox and contact cleaner as well as degreaser in a can (for little jobs like controls and throttle tubes)

tape in black electrical and grey duct

fuel line, hose clamps, black silicon and grey gasket goo

Loctite (and a heat gun for loctited bits)

water proof grease, normal grease and a good parts cleaning set up...

rags, lots of rags (cant have enough rags)

don't forget a bike to restore... all these tools are useless unless you have a bike to work on ;D :D

Offline Glen08

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:41 pm »
The list is long & its not worth cutting corners !
Can I add a good clean area to work, good lighting & don't rush  ;)