Author Topic: classic dirt bike magazine  (Read 7871 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
classic dirt bike magazine
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:25 am »
found this http://www.classicdirtbike.co.uk/ looked interesting so ive back ordered the 4 issues ive missed. havent seen it in newsagents here though.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: classic dirt bike magazine
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:42:37 am »
its in the newsagents in melb  started at issue 3 i think

All Things 414

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 05:11:30 pm »
I hope you're keen on trials bikes........ :(

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:42:14 pm »
i've just finished reading issue 3.
good quality stuff me reckons with a british twist.
i'm in for more as it seems to be more of what i like.
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:21 pm »
I just got my subscription delivery of issue #4 of Classic Dirt Bike. Like 414 says, I hope you like trials. It's got a tad too much trials of it for my liking. It's a nice magazine but VMX is streets ahead in content, journalism, photography and production quality. VMX has no worries about losing its share of of the market, so it's nice to have another magazine covering our sport.

subanator

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:44:16 pm »
I hope you're keen on trials bikes........ :(
Suits me!!  ;D
I think it has a good spread of MX and Trial.  I think they need to keep to the twinshock period bikes, and leave EVO bikes out for another publication.

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:50:18 pm »
Yeah. Well. I just can't get my head around places with names like "Tweebleberesford" and "Farnleighbarnly". Pubs called "The arse and elbow" and bikes with the fenders an inch from the front wheel. Like reading Harry Potter............ ???

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:19:48 pm »
I think its good to have another mag to read and the different articles in CDB means that its not a copy. I enjoyed reading about Dave Thorpe, Neil Hudson and Graham Noyce. Yeah maybe a bit to much 'trials bike' in the mag, but that could be just the british for ya. I like Twinshock and Evo, but if someone else wanted to do a mag with just Twinshock or just Evo I would buy either and/or both.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Yamaboy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:31:43 pm »
I got my copy of CDB today and I too have to add that VMX doesn't have anything to worry about. I don't mind a trials article or two but five trials articles is upsetting the balance. The photos are also very weird. Many readers use the photos as reference for their restos but the CDB layout bloke seens to use shots taken from weird and difficult angles that miss a lot of details. The photos alsoften break the cardinal rule of dirt bike photography of having busy backgrounds that distract from the subject. The articles are scant of details, especially the article on the nice B44. I'm anal enough to want to know all of the little details that go into making a hot rod bike like that. On the positive, the Dave Thorpe story is great and fits beautifully in with the articles on Neil Hudson and Graeme Noyce in earlier editions. I'd like to see some earlier bios though. They've locked themselves into the 80's era riders but an article on 70's riders Vic Eastwood, Bryan Wade, Andy Robertson or Jimmy Aird would level up the balance. All in all, the production quality doesn't hold a candle to the product put out by Jeff, Smithy and AJ but it's not too bad a read in the end. Another mag isn't going to hurt our sport.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:33:22 pm by Yamaboy »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:24:14 pm »
I'm not sure where some of you guys are going with the thinking that the 'VMX' mag should worry?? Worry about what? The competition? Dont ya only need to worry about competition if you] arent up to stand? Instead of poking shit at CDB, shouldnt WE]as lovers of old dirtbikes be praising them for giving us another mag to read? As for there pictures the only one I found confusing is the upside down picture of the tailpipe in the YZ125A article. Where in the title does it say 'motocross'? All I see is 'Classic Dirtbikes'. If you dont like the mag dont buy it. Who is more the fool, the person who pays for the mag and likes it,or the person who buys it and rubbishes it?

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:55:07 pm »
Oh I don't know, I think the guys are just offering up an honest appraisal. I have to admit I was a little disappointed in what CDB covered, and the Pommie 'take' is not my cup of tea either. But I take your point, it is good to have another mag covering the scene and it sure nice to have diversity. Of course, we aren't their primary market so I guess what's important for them is how the European punters feel about it. Judging by their letters to the editor that's a thumbs up. I do have to give them a bit of praise too for a nice website, they've put a fair bit into that and I like it.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:07 pm »
Way down under here in NZ, I would think that we would be just a tiny blip on the radar for CDB :-[ so the way I look at there mag is, thats what they're into. It may not be what I wanna read about but if there is just one article in it that I like then cool. Its abit like Motocross Action (august 2007), if a vintage motocrosser hasnt got that mag in his collection then he is missing a great mag. Me personnel, I didnt think CDB was in competition with VMX, as from there first issue it was a totally different mag to what we have been use too. I'm just waiting for the VMX crew to come over to NZ ta do a story on our vmx scene, then I would be totally biased for which mag I would put in a frame and hang on the wall. ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:01 pm »
You know, that's a fair point. I am not sure when VMX last ran an article about the NZ scene. Maybe someone over there needs to put one together for them? Or fly Ken over at huge expense and put him up in a lavish motel with a hostess to show him the sights?

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:14:25 pm »
Is that brilliant Kiwi lass Sharon O'Neil available to show me around by any chance?  Seriously, I've been trying to get over to NZ to cover some of the scene but something always gets in the way.  But.....Issue 31 (out in a few weeks) has not one but two NZ events.  Not a huge coverage of each event I have to say but it's a good start.

Regards

Ken

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:28:32 am »
We'll keep a lookout for ya Ken. But I thought Sharon O'Neal was over there? Looking forward to seeing some NZ vintage in the mag.