Author Topic: Cessnock '92..  (Read 2305 times)

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Cessnock '92..
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
Looks like a blast. Wish I could have ridden it. Some memories for those of you who did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnX-WiBAnkI

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Cessnock '92..
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
I used to own a 610 husky that was riden there, it is now in bits at the guy who brought it. I feel like i should save it.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
I didn't ride the Cessnock 6 day but covered many a mile with my trusty Canon helping with the ADB coverage. It was a brilliantly run event and the final day Mulbring motocross was one of the best motocross meetings I ever attended.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »
I worked there with Chris Cater and a great crew setting out the special tests before the event and then with the timing company during the event. Great times and many memories. When we did have time off during the event we rode our own bikes to areas on the track and watched, unbelievable.
The 80cc guys doing a sprocket change to get 10km/h on the transports. 30 seconds tops to change!
The ghost riders on very similar bikes lurking in the shadows (Italians mostly)
The pommy bus load of rider pre-walking the tracks, shirts off, bright red from the "heat" and it was 18C.
The pommy bus asking about the green tree snakes. We told them not to worry about the green ones, the browns one get to 6' and as one they shouted "Foorking Hell".
The despair one of the senior team members from one of the European teams when he finished the special test at the quarry after breaking a gear shaft on his Husaberg and finishing the the test in about 20min when normal was 2 or 3 mins. That's after his ghost rider realised what had happened, pulled his out and threw it into grass next to the rider who had no tools and had to wait for those as well.
The great nights at the pub each night.
The frost each morning camping at the show ground. Bloody cold!
And as Firko said, the final motocross, working a corner and flag being rotated to 2 or 3 corners during the day. It was undiscrible the rush and the atmosphere.

Do it again in a Heart Beat!

Peter B

Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
The great nights at the pub each night.
We had a big one on the night before the final motocross with a few St George Rugby League players who'd come up for the day to support one of the players brothers, dirt track legend Chris Watson and his mates and a couple of Swedish riders that had DNF'd....I've got the photos from that night in the pub around here somewhere and they ain't pretty ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
One of the greatest weeks of my life too!  Also worked at the special tests Pete!

Rode my KDX250 around town when not working, including via Kitchener pub at the end of the day.  ::)

Such a fun week, in a town that ate, breathed and slept dirt bikes.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
Don't forget the look on the Euros/Yanks faces when they arrived at the final motocross having emerged from 'the Tunnel'.

What was supposed to be something different and a bit of fun turned ugly when somebody stole the railway sleepers from the tunnel prior to the event... 100's of riders bogged in the dark, the tunnel full of 2-stroke fumes [and swearing]... certainly livened up the last day...

For those that weren't in there it was pretty funny... can't say I would have been laughing if I was in the middle of it... ;-)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
I can recall the look on GE's face when he emerged from the tunnel on the KTM....It wasn't the look of a happy man >:(. Who can remember the British Husky rider competing the final day motocross with a lump of tree branch where his broken shock should have been? Was it the great Paul Edmonson? The fans went ape shit as he circulated at a pretty smart clip for a bike with no rear suspension whatsoever and I believe that action was good enough for him to still finish on gold.

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
If you watch the video you will see Paul Edmonson pre jump everything which makes his whole ride flat. Awesome control. Before it all started there was a few teams assembling their bikes at the show ground. Paul Edmonson finished his bike, fuelled it up, started it and proceeded to wheel stand down one of the roads in the show ground changing up gears. He put it down, turned around and wheel stood all the way back then changed down gears to a complete stop in front of the previlion on the back wheel. Stopped it and pushed back inside. He was someone to watch from that moment on!

I think it was at the 6 day that we met AJ for the first time ;). Also met Herby and Billy Pengilly and a lot of other die hards who I see from time to time.

There was also one of the guys working with us from Blayney, who at the end of the 6th day jumped in a ute and drove to WA for the Manjama international MX. The commitment was that it was a 1970 Holen Ute and there was to be 3 of them. But that's a whole other story........ :D

Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....