Author Topic: Time To Start The KX250 A5 Project  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Time To Start The KX250 A5 Project
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:36:28 AM »
Time to get started on the A5.  I took off the cracked old 80's style plastic (number plate was held on by wire).  The tank is stained and will be polished out and decals applied.  The ripped seat has a new foam and cover mounted and ready to go.  Will rebuild the forks and install proper springs.  I will probably send the shocks to Thor.  I have a totally reuilt motor for it.  The current one will run, but will need a new carb and intake.

I hope no one is offended by the nude photos.  ;D

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Big Bird

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Start The KX250 A5 Project
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:16 AM »
Looks good Red.  It has obviously got a few years on it - but under the dirt and fading it looks complete and quite sound.  Enjoy!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
I have just done a lot of work on a couple of these Red.....have a good look at the frame around the top shock mounts, the lower frame rails and all the welds in general.....rust and cracking is common. The rear brake pedal pivot is usually got lots of play in it....make up a new bush for the frame and a new pivot pin. The swingarm bushes are another headache....we just made up new phosfer bronze bushes and hardened steel sleeves and fitted hardened steel shims for the clearance. You goona need a mate with a lathe ;D. The rear brake torque arm is a shit set up as well....cut the lug off the frame, weld a 10mm bolt/stud in place, get a 85 KX125 brake arm, mod the rear angle where it fits the backing plate and you will have a trick looking rear brake arm (alloy with lots of slots in it). Another lathe job is the rear brake backing plate....make a new phosfer bronze bush there and check the little brake cams in the backing plates for play as well....you may have to re-make them. Cool bikes that are made on the light weight side of things and wear out through neglect but worth doing. Really nice bikes to ride. 8)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:34 AM »
Thanks Davey Crocket!

I think I'm OK on the rusting side, since the bike came from the desert, but I'm sure the sand wrecked havoc on the bushings and such.  It is gonna be a clean up and refurbish job instead of a full resto.  I may race it a bit and then just park it for awhile.
 ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:48:45 PM by Tahitian_Red »
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen