Author Topic: Rokon 340 Auto on Swapmeet  (Read 2167 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Rokon 340 Auto on Swapmeet
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:45:13 am »
This is really cheap for a rare and interesting bike. I once owned an almost identical bike to this and wish I still had it. Mag wheel, disc brakes all in '74 (Knowing well that this is a '76 model). As an absolutely identical flow on I'd love to test the scrutineer in this bike's legality for pre 75 with the rear suspension brought back to stock. The disc brake would have to be allowed if they were standard equipment prior to Dec 31 1974. They're crap brakes anyway...Airheart, with th pad the size of a 20c piece ;D. It'd make a cool Vinduro bike anyway.
                                                                                       http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=JxMufdyEe4nWJe7X&w=3                                                                                        

FOR SALE
Ad # 3222075 August 30, 2013

1976 Rokon RT340: True Barn Find! It Came From The Original Owner, But All I Have Is A Bill Of Sale. It Was Parked 20+ Years Ago Due To The Head Gasket. The Motor Is Free & Feels Good On The Pull Start. I Just Washed The Dust Off.. $900.00

David Keith
Kennesaw, GA
Phone: 678-360-8359 | Email
Registered Since 10/5/2004 | 2036 Posts 

Below.......a '74 model to show the original rear shock placement.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:46:54 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Rokon 340 Auto on Swapmeet
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:05:06 am »
Would the mag wheels still be ok today in strength?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:25:12 am »
 Mark, the mainframe is different between the 73/4 and the 75/6 years even apart from the rear shock mounts so a flow on argument would be awkward.
 I disagree about the brakes though. The factory riders used to introduce air into the system to soften their bite! Kelsey- Heyes equiped calipers and a Honda front master standard. Decent pucks, original caliper, a braided line, and mine work just fine - a lot better than any of the drum braked mounts I have, ESPECIALLY in snotty conditions like at Harrow. No eligibility issues for the brakes either as they were fitted from 1973.
 The Kimtab mags are quite robust. Poor storage over the years might affect their condition though. Look what happens to Japanese rims!
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:53:34 am »
Kelsey- Heyes equiped calipers and a Honda front master standard 
I recall the brakes being both Airheart and awful but it's been a few decades so I'm obviously wrong with the Airheart part but I certainly remember some sphincter puckering downhill experiences with a hand full of front brake and the bike getting faster and faster so I'll stick with my awful impression ;D. I stand corrected on the frame too, mine was/is (it still exists under my ex's house) a '74 model with a home made laid down shock conversion and I always assumed that the frames remained the same throughout and that the above bike was modified like mine, I learn something every time I come on here ;D. Mine had Kimtab snowflake magnesium wheels but a 19" in the front as opposed to the 21" on the above bike, unfortunately someone had painted them Caterpillar tractor yellow for some reason making them look a bit tacky. I loved the power spread of the engine and the engine and once you get used to the weird transmission  and its maintenance schedule the bike was a pleasure to ride and own. I liked it so much I later moved on to a Husky 360 Auto...... a totally different concept on the auto trans concept and a great bike as well.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline farmer58za

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »
21" Kimkab mag rims are rare and make this bike a worthwhile purchase. Ohlin shocks too...

Firko, the brakes on mine are just fine. Got my calipers done by Mike Murphy, the Rokon guru. Then he took me through the bleeding process.

Bike pulls like a train, but the last time I rode it the ignition coil packed up and that's buried in the stator. I really needs to be re-located under the tank.

Regards
David
Dave's not here man

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 07:57:00 pm »
David, I purchased a motoplat ignition for mine from Mike and, touch wood, its been excellent. See if he has another.
Starting to sound like you had dud brakes on your bike Firko......or that you rode like a gun and overwhelmed them ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:59:49 pm by Canam370 »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:51:03 pm »
It probably did have dud brakes....I got the bike by accident after my ex partners next door neighbour did a runner back to his native Sweden and left a few bikes and snow mobiles behind in his shed. I just happened to be there when Kathy got the gig from the landlord to clear out the shed and house for new tenants. It was one of two Rokons and a KX450 Kawasaki and three or four Skidoos in various states of disrepair. We put the two Rokons together to make one runner. I seem to recall having problems with a transmission belt tensioner of some sort continually coming loose but it was back in the mid 80's so it may have been something else in the trans altogether   ::). There was definitely an annoying problem that we never properly fixed because none of us really knew much about them.......It pulled like a mack truck though....very torquey. I recently asked her if I could have the bike but she reckons her son has indicated that he wants to restore it.....yeah right ::).