Author Topic: 2 wire coils?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
2 wire coils?
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:08:00 pm »
Is there any Yamaha coils that are 2 wire rather than the normal single wire & mount for earth back through the frame?

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2 wire coils?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:44:03 pm »
if we're talking cdi type i can't think of any but [someone else may know] suzuki common old mudbug & lots of other model suzuk's run a cdi coil with two wires. [now i'm confused but think that] second wire is to get a good earth right back to the coil from the stator plate & pretty sure the coil is earthed to the frame regardless via a small wire sneaking out to the coil post, think it's riveted to the 5mm mount hole. I have one & will check one out tomorrow. Can i ask--what's the plan? sounds interesting. Cheers.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:35:30 am »
Just an experiment on the CZ, have an RD400 coil running twin plugs hooked up to the Suzuki ignition & want to try a single plug without using the bulky Suzuki coil which is quite a lot wider than the RD coil
My guess is that it will need to be off a rubber mounted motor like the RD is
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:37:17 am by tony27 »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:20 am »
maybe i'm thinking wrong but what's wrong with a single wire cdi coil & if you want just run a separate wire from the coil mount down to the motor. I just bought a used kawy kdx200 coil [coz it was $1] off trademe which has two wires. Get on trademe & put in number 625317135. Bad photo but google images should find a good one to view. Some chinese mini bike cdi coils have two wires or two terminals & nothing wrong with them. Just google imaged the coil myself & can't see a two wire kdx coil so now i don't know what i bought haha--plug lead is too short to be useful & [of course] everyone knows a short lead "advances the spark" & a long one "retards it"--like "steam rollers" are used to "roll Steam". Ok i'll go away. Cheers.
ps, Tony, twin plugs firing have to be better than 'one' any day of the week!!

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
thought i'd better hit 'post' that last one before it times out. Got me thinking now though, many years ago i tried twin plugs on my RT2, might've been with RT2Mx top end--but--ran but didn't have enough voltage [or something] to charge the coil up etc. Had close plug gaps &, well, a disaster. But now thinking, onece apon a lifetime ago i bought a dt125 watercooled with a stuffed pulser/trigger  coil so fitted a coil/box combined off an RG50 & it ran perfect just using the source coil only, no trigger, must fire as the magnets get past a certain point on the source coil? [strobed it & spot on, just no real advancing so set it appropriately. SO-- with RT & it's twin plug head if i got a stator plate with coil mounts at 180 to each other & fitted a source cdi coil to each mount [one where lighting coil might be] then ran 'two' RG50 coils [same as LT50/JR50] coils--can see it now having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground [maybe not]. Cheers.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
been thinking i'd better clarify my twin plug cdi idea. Am working on the theory from back when i strobed my AG100 grasshopper [assgroper] & found it fires at [the firing point] then again 180 from that by memory, was about 20 years ago so might be dreaming exact details--but--thought with two cdi charge coils 180 apart & the RG50 coil/box's being fired by the magnets passing a point on the coils, hoped she might fire two plugs at exactly the same time. Starting to think of reasons why it won't work so i'll have another beer & probably forget about it. Also Grasshopper had a seperate trigger coil plus think it had a notch in the centre bit [where a points cam would be] to activate the trigger. Toooooo hard.