Author Topic: YZ125N 1985 odd ball rear shock.  (Read 1562 times)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
YZ125N 1985 odd ball rear shock.
« on: August 24, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »
I'll post pics tonight hopefully but son has an "85N YZ125 & has a different shocky to the normal revolving clicker on the shaft. Has one like i think honda have [not sure], comes out at right angles probably with limited clicks compared to the usual yam 32 odd clicks. He thinks it's original but dunno, wonder if it's 'showa' but he pointed out yamaha [just legible] on the reservoir--which looks a bladder type rather than a piston separating the gas. Has a different size spherical bearing in the eye which isn't what comes in the kits [not sure brand of kit but]. I'm sure bearing will be available from skf or aftermarket mx places but said i'd ask up here [cos you guys know everything!!]. My theory is--being a jap import at some stage i wonder if these shocks were on some jap domestic models [also wonder if the porting [performance] is strangled in cylinder too for domestic bikes]. Recons he knows of 2 or 3 others in our vmx scene with these shock units that [he says] don't show up on parts lists. Thanks--from Mr "doesn't" Know It All.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: YZ125N 1985 odd ball rear shock.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:39:07 pm »

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:52:37 pm »
I'm confusing myself but think the the 'odd' one out in the bike is an N "85, bikes been rebuilt & also the shock. It doesn't look yamaha to me [or not what i'm used to]. Dirty old shock is from another 1985 model--also not what i'm used to. I believe the other obviously yamaha shock is from an "84L [think] 125, if they had that cable operated valve to stop kicking under braking [or something] but anyway--'yamaha shock as we know it 'jim'.
Not a biggy but boys a bit peeved the kit is for a "85 & has the wrong bearing for the shock in the kit [or wrong shock for bike!! i wonder]--Thanks in advance.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:37 pm »
FWIW, the bike ADB used for their '84 125 MX shoot out had a shock like that. Neither of the 125Ls I've owned have had that type of shock.

The BASS crap was - in Australia - 85, 86 (and 87?) only - definitely not an Aussie 84 shock.

I reckon your JDM vs export model theory is probably right. I'm told by a pedantic source that the JDM YZ-Ls had front discs, which also supports the idea.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
All the pics of the "85n i'm finding now seem to have that odd shock. Just reading a test on the "85 & they rubbish it, be interesting to see how it goes compared to a 125k he has that flys.