Author Topic: Gazi piggyback adjustible twin shocks  (Read 12029 times)

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Gazi piggyback adjustible twin shocks
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »
Does anyone run these shocks in motocross. If so what are they like, The good and bad please. They are $810 for adjustable rebound and compression in a piggy back reservoir. Are they a quality shock? Thanks in advance.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Gazi piggyback adjustible twin shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »
I watch with interest...
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:36 pm »
Me too  :-)
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:46 pm »
You know which the quality shocks are.. The ones that have been around a long time, used by the pros, endured the test of time and are still in business. Ohlins, White Power, Works Performance, Fox

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:27:41 pm »
You know which the quality shocks are.. The ones that have been around a long time, used by the pros, endured the test of time and are still in business. Ohlins, White Power, Works Performance, Fox
Everything John says Neil. I've used Works Performance since 1986 and after moving to other brands find myself back using Works again for the simple reason that they just plain work and are almost bulletproof. The original finned, cast alloy bodied Works shocks I bought second hand in 1986 are still working perfectly after all this time. All I've done is change the oil occasionally, keep the gas up to them and have put two kits through them (cheaply obtained on eBay and easy to do yourself). I've heard that Gazi's have terminal seal problems but don't take my word as I've only got a set of Gazi cheapies on my flat tracker and they seem OK. Slakewell on here has the shocks you speak of on his Kato.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:27 pm »
Yep I've got the original alloy finned Works Performance shocks on my RM370 & 250B, Ohlins on my 2 Evo bikes, Fox Airshocks on my Harley mx250 and White Power for my pre 85 and pre 90 bikes. All bought second hand then rebuilt and all work perfectly.. Good quality shocks don't break or wear out, I'd doubt many other brands would last 30+ years.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:28:17 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »
I'm an avid fan of YSS !
The service and backup from Walter is second to none.
Yes Yes there's people on here will tell you horror stories he an arsehole, don't trust him and all that. All I can say to them is he has always done the right thing by me. I'm currently running 3 bikes with his shocks( road, vmx & race) and they standing up to the test of time. I recently sent a set in for a overhaul( new seals & springs) and he update the internals as part of the service and arrange to drop them off in Sydney to save me the postage.
Curly
Tip for buying from Walter be honest. Your real weight, what you are going to do with them and he'll put to what will suit you best.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:45:41 pm by curly001 »

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:01:32 am »
I don't totally agree with the guy's that are saying "just go for the named brands", technology is changing, quality is improving from Asian countries, I think it is fair for someone to ask the question about lesser known units.

I have a set of YSS and they work fantastic (once I worked-out the spring tuning) and the after-sales service offered by Walter is also great.

We're not talking a pair of Chinese pit-bike shocks for $50 here, there is a very good chance that the Gazi's could be good value for the dollars?

I think it limits ones learning capacity to not consider alternatives, not all of us have the money to go straight out and buy named brands.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:00:33 pm by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 06:34:08 am »
Have used the Gazzi's on KTM twin shocks ( EVO )and on my 77 I have a pair of prototypes.
I have had no problems at all with the FVO shocks and reckon for bang per buck there hard to beat. The Horwood Bro's race on these on Brad Lewis KTM's and they dont blow up under them so that says allot to me as I will never jump as hard or ride as fast.
The prototypes on the 77 have leaked on one shock but are now being modified. Alan seems fine with after sales service or if you need to swap springs etc.

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:25:51 am »
I don't totally agree with the guy's that are saying "just go for the named brands", technology is changing, quality is improving from Asian countries, I think it is fair for someone to ask the question about lesser know units.

I have a set of YSS and they work fantastic (once I worked-out the spring tuning) and the after-sales service offered by Walter is also great.

We're not talking a pair of Chinese pit-bike shocks for $50 here, there is a very good chance that the Gazi's could be good value for the dollars?

I think it limits ones learning capacity to not consider alternatives, not all of us have the money to go straight out and buy named brands.
The bottom line is I've seen a lot of broken & lesser quality shocks of brands I didn't mention, I rebuild a lot of shocks and the ones I listed are some of the best quality/technology IMO.. Not all of them are expensive.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:01 am »
This is good, I like to here everyone's thoughts. Have you had a set of Gazi's apart JohnnyO.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:37 am »
I'm with JohnnyO on this.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 09:15:38 am »
I've got YSS on a couple of my bikes and don't have any problem with them other than one set that currently leak and will have to eventually go back to Walter. I like Works Performance for their simplicity...I'm a bit of a techno-nong yet I can rebuild, gas and oil them almost with my eyes closed. John Orchard makes a good point that the Asian quality and technology is improving in big strides, even those cheap and cheerful Chinese pitbike shocks are fine for light dirt track work.......horses for courses. I'm constantly criticised for my championing of Chinese parts and I still stick by my word that a lot of the stuff is top quality....but not the shocks right now, at least for motocross. However the Americans have the runs on the board with Works Shocks....they're virtually unchanged internally after over thirty years on the market so they must be doing something right.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:43 am »
I've used these on both solo and MX sidecars for some years with great results, there service is great and they are very reasonable priced, sure there's probably better out there, I even run these on my ZRX road bike and recone there great....
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 09:49:06 am »
It's a bit like Coca Cola vrs the new energy drinks.....some say this and some say that. (meaning the big names rule ATM, but time will tell)
We run Gazi on the sidecar and in more than 5 yrs have had no trouble with seals or the gas or the bodies. We did bend some shafts jumping back over drunks at Conondale where you land and turn hard left but that was put down to the front swing arm (leading link) binding and twisting. Never had the problem again.
Another brand was a bit prone to seal failures but not Gazi. The build is 1st rate but when they turn up they are only loosely assembled so take care when fitting and setting up. Retension after 1st couple of rides.
100% rebuildible too and Al gives great service.
Check out in the US both road racing and Dirt Track (mile) they are kicking arse.