Author Topic: WHAT BIKE WOULD YOU USE?????????  (Read 7373 times)

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
WHAT BIKE WOULD YOU USE?????????
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
Hi Guys and Girls,  I'm thinking of doing a ride around the great land of OZ either next year or year after, mostly of coarse on the black stuff, probably 99 percent.  Good roads bad roads, as an ex interstate Truck driver I no there are some shocking and some great roads out there, most of the trip will be camping in rest areas and the odd pub stay of coarse so there will be a bit of gear on board but do you ride a Road Bike say My ZRX1200R or do you buy a big Adventure bike like a KTM or a BMW, Triumph, Yamaha XTZ ????? Any ideas ?????
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

albrid-3

Re: WHAT BIKE WOULD YOU USE?????????
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
BWM would be my choice.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
If you can still find one, I think a KLE500 would be super-reliable and good on fuel.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
There is one bike that stands head and shoulders above the rest for the trip you want.

BMW R1200 GS.  400 plus klms on a full tank. Effortlessly cruise all day way above legal limits. Aftermarket accessories galore. 10,000 klm service intervals. No chain or sprockets. Heated grips ( standard ) a must as you probably know. Will go Offroad where a standard 4wd will go.  Best resale of any motorcycle, bar none. I bought one new in 2004 for $21,500 on road and sold it three and a half years later for $18,500. Test ride one, you will be surprised
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Simo63

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
Talk to Lawsey Popeye .. he's currently getting his rocks off touring around on a huge arse KTM dual purpose thing.  Seems that after doing it in the US he's got the bug bad and can't seem to stop long enough to enter a race meeting anymore  ;D

Pity .. we miss him a bit  :)

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
If your a big softy like me you would buy a great big Goldwing :)
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Current model abs equipped 650 Vstrom!! Get a bash plate and some other gear fitted and you'll be surprised how versatile they can be!! And they're cheap as chips, in Vic at the moment you could get one under 10k ride away brand new!!
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Paul552

• Legend
  • HEAVEN #552
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
A mate of mine just bought a BMW gs and loves it.

I noticed this at Honda last week

Looks nice

'77 YZ125D '84 CR250RE '89 CR250RK '84 CR80RE  '09 YZ250F

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:42 PM »
If you can get one:

(Imagine little Gaston hairing around on the dunes on one of them)

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
I'm with Rookie on this one. ( Except for the bit about ABS  ;D )
I reckon the best value all-rounder has to be the 650 V-Strom.
A few years ago I did an 8500km trip on one that varied from freeways to crossing the Simpson.
It did all with ease.

That said, the trip could be done on pretty much anything you fancy.
So don't listen to us, only you know what you really like to buy!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:05:15 PM by Tony T »

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
BMW. If your finances wont stretch to the R1200GS an R1150GS can be had for significantly less $$$ and is still VERY capable. I have had a couple of them and they handle all situations with aplomb. Until you've tried the telelever front end you don't know what consistent and unflappable steering is all about. The R1150GS are well sorted and are nicer on road as well, and copes with luggage easily.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
Popeye, having ridden both the GS and GSA 12OO through Africa and owning a Kato 990 Adventure and Adventure R.. More dirt, go the Kato, more flattop and bit more comfort go the Beema. Both are brilliant, knowing you buddy I think you will have more fun on the Kato.  :D
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
Actually Popeye, just about to do another month in Africa two up on one of the new Beema waterbottles, I'll let you know if I have a change of heart in regard to the Kato after I have ridden it for 8000k's. Interested to see how the fancy electronics hold up in very much Australian type conditions over there.
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline PCMAX

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
There is one bike that stands head and shoulders above the rest for the trip you want.

BMW R1200 GS.  400 plus klms on a full tank. Effortlessly cruise all day way above legal limits. Aftermarket accessories galore. 10,000 klm service intervals. No chain or sprockets. Heated grips ( standard ) a must as you probably know. Will go Offroad where a standard 4wd will go.  Best resale of any motorcycle, bar none. I bought one new in 2004 for $21,500 on road and sold it three and a half years later for $18,500. Test ride one, you will be surprised

I know a bloke who is selling one of these BM's. If you're going to the Crawford River classic speak to Phil on bike #65
74 MX250A, 75 CR250, 82 CR125, 82 YZ250J, 84 XR250,

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
Yea I'm herein ya slawesy, I've had 2 KTM 950 Adventures and there high on my list they are a fantastic thing, but for more black top work I wonder whether the BM would be better or something else......
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.