Author Topic: What bikes are eligible for what classes  (Read 68795 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What bikes are eligible for what classes
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »
Brad - this is where it all turns pair shaped ..... if you allow air cooled motors from linkage bikes, they will say why not the forks and TLS brakes that go with it.   Oem  and converting is in for that exact reason.

No Forken  way hosay
Read my wording again Stew.

Using parts from a water cooled and or disc braked and or single shocked bike is not allowed.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2013, 07:41:38 pm »
"Pre-81 plus some"

Uh huh. Now the fuzzy bit starts which got this whole thread started.

That wording has no place in any rule book. Aiming for the details of the intent first.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
Yamaha are single shock ... they are out then ???

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2013, 08:00:56 pm »
Yamaha are single shock ... they are out then ???

Come on Stew, keep up...

Bike must be air cooled, drum braked and twin shock.

twin shock/non linkage
Got to cater for those YZ's

Yeah I actually wrote that first time then the internet dropped out wiping it all. Missed it second time around.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »
Ok I'm back.

Nathan please read the MOMs there is a page there that explains how to suggest a rule change. Your suggestion is sent to the MA Classic MX Commission, who decide whether or not it is a reasonable or necessary change. They then put their recommendations in their minutes and they are distributed to the SCBs. The SCBs send their responses to MA who pass then onto the Commission and then they make a recommendation to the MA Board, who say yes or no. Their is no need for it to be debated here and drive the majority of us nuts.

Personally I don't think the rules need to be changed. If someone wants to build a modern bike (a manufacturer) OEM stands for "original equipment manufacture" let them. Modifying a bike from another manufacturer is not OEM. I'm sure the same thing will happen as does with F1. If a team builds something that dominates or could it is very quickly banned. As an example the fan car, 2 stroke F2 motor, oval piston motors. Really we need to use the KISS rule "Kept it Simple Stupid".

If there are riders using parts from linkage machines etc protest them.

Also I'm sure there are other bikes out there (other than a postie) that would comply with Evo rules, but any of these bikes are old designs. The Indian Enfields when they had drum brakes would comply, but they are a 1956 design.

Anyway it is up to you Nathan read the MOMs and submit your proposed rule change and stop upsetting the rest of the forum.

Kevin

MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
Old fart, Yamaha is non linkage C D E F,,,,, ???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:11:34 pm by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
Kevin, I know how it works.
I fully understand that I could do this, and then have it dismissed off-hand by the commission. The NIH factor is always present, too.
The idea is that it will have the greatest chance of succeeding if it has been through the wringer of OzVMX first. If its crap, then it can sink without a trace, no harm done.

One of the things about this forum is that its very conservative and there's lots of strong personalities. Anything that's even vaguely controversial doesn't go by without a fight...
Nothing ever happens without "upsetting the forum"...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:38:15 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2013, 09:40:11 pm »
If you know how to change a GCR well do it. The MA Classic MX Commission are the place to start. There are several rules in the GCRs that I am responsible for and I didn't go to all this trouble to get them in.

As far as I'm concerned the rules for EVO do not need to be changed.

If anyone else agrees please say so. So we can stop this Mass Debate.

Kevin
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2013, 09:56:28 pm »

I agree. They just need to be made a lot clearer.

I am certainly not interested in changing the rules - you may have noticed that my questions have largely been about making sure my understanding of the rules matches the accepted understanding.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »

. Unfortunately, I missed the good days of VMX when the grids were full and everything was a bit more relaxed rule wise.
When was that exactly? The rules have always been enforced to the nth degree at National level meetings right back as far as 1992 when the rules were first formalised into MoMs. There is no good old "more relaxed" days. I do however agree that the grids were once much fuller, up to three time fuller with pre 75 bikes alone. Somehow a lot of mojo has been lost along the way.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »

I agree. They just need to be made a lot clearer.

I am certainly not interested in changing the rules - you may have noticed that my questions have largely been about making sure my understanding of the rules matches the accepted understanding.
Well thats good news.. Initially I thought some people's aim was to change them which bothered me but wording them better will hopefully stop a lot of the eligibility queries on here.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:47 pm »
There is no year cutoff that would work for Evo. The rules are fine as they are except for some poor wording. A day later I still think I've simplified the wording to the degree that it's all you really need.

A simple way of solving the problem would be to make a wording amendment to the Evo rules that could read "Conventional forks only, maximum diameter 43mm." The "All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured" line should be changed to " All major components must originate from or be manufactured for drum brake, air cooled non linkaged machines".
Major components are by definition:
*Engine and external aftermarket engine accessories.
*Frame, both OEM and aftermarket,
*Brake hubs and backing plates
*forks
*Tank, mudguards, seat and other bodywork.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »
Firko don't forget about the Fox 44mm conventional forks.
I don't know that you need to include the tank, bodywork line. There's a few guys using J model Yamaha tank/seat combos on their H model Evo bikes and I don see a problem with that.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2013, 10:37:28 pm »
There is no year cutoff that would work for Evo. The rules are fine as they are except for some poor wording. A day later I still think I've simplified the wording to the degree that it's all you really need.

A simple way of solving the problem would be to make a wording amendment to the Evo rules that could read "Conventional forks only, maximum diameter 43mm." The "All components will be of the period the machine was manufactured" line should be changed to " All major components must originate from or be manufactured for drum brake, air cooled non linkaged machines".
Major components are by definition:
*Engine and external aftermarket engine accessories.
*Frame, both OEM and aftermarket,
*Brake hubs and backing plates
*forks
*Tank, mudguards, seat and other bodywork.

I definitely agree with the need for a definition of "major components", and not just for Evo.

But I still think that Evo needs some sort of minimum age - otherwise the SexMax is still legal and it still isn't a historic class.

Pretty sure that a hard "Pre-85 with carry-overs" cut-off is the way to go.

I'm also thinking a statement of intent for each era would be helpful, particularly as it gives the "spirit of the era" stuff some bite.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:45:22 pm by Nathan S »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2013, 11:04:11 pm »
There is a girl in Qld racing a DT175 monoshock, I think it's a 90's model? That will cause problems with a year cut off