Author Topic: Winton (Vic) Classic Motocross Champs Nov 2 & 3  (Read 6740 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Winton (Vic) Classic Motocross Champs Nov 2 & 3
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:57:32 am »
With the cancellation of the Australian Classic Motocross Championships (listed as cancelled on the MA website), I have contacted the Winton Motocross Club, Winton Motor-raceway, and AASA about running a National caliber event at Winton on the above slated date.

All parties are excited to run this event, insurance is to be covered by AASA and riders can compete on their MA licence.

Winton Motor Raceway only have a car club day, on the road circuit, on the Nov 2/3 weekend so they will be able to put all their might behind our event.  There is actually a motorcycle ride day on the road circuit on the Monday if riders wanted to bring their road bikes for a play.

Winton Raceway has a camp-ground right next to the motocross track with permanent toilets & showers.

I will be having a meeting with the President of the Winton MX Club over the next few days to start putting together all the details.  I'd like to be able to call on anyone that has had experience in running such events for guidance & advice.  Remember, this is NOT governed by MA or their rule book, it is governed by the sup-regs that Winton Motocross Club put out.  For the ease of all concerned it makes sense to adhere to classes as outlined in the MOMS to reduce any inconvenience to riders.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:28:56 am by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Winton (Vic) Classic Motocross Champs Nov 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:22 am »
Time to start drumming-up sponsors for the event, any offers or leads for the event could be sent to 'Heath' the President of the Winton Motocross Club at  [email protected]

Offline ARN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:18:42 am »
don't want to put a spanner in the works but you will loose a few vics to this ,   they changed there dates

re: Lardner Park.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »

Hi guys,
              i have started a new thread for this event so as not to confuse it with the Viper Grass track event in September.  Below is a copy of email from the DMCC.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THUMPERCROSS IS BACK FOR 2013!

THE DANDENONG Motorcycle Club will host the Warragul Toyota Thumpercross at Lardner Park on November 2-3, 2013.

The event will be open to junior and pre-1985 bikes on the Saturday and all classes of seniors on the Sunday.

A full range of age and capacity classes will be run over the two days of competition on a natural fast-flowing grass track at a fantastic venue.

Event organiser Glenn Capuano says there is plenty of excitement amongst riders, from both off-road and motocross disciplines, about competing in this fun format of racing.

“Riders have been screaming out for this format to be reinvented. It will also be great to see bikes from a bygone-era competing as both the Viper and Vinduro racing now have a huge following,” Glenn said.

“Juniors will also be able to get their bikes on the limiter around the grass track. We will see some of the best riders in Australia from both disciplines go head to head in what should be a great weekend of racing,” Glenn added.

There will also be heaps of give a ways to riders that enter from some fantastic sponsors that have got behind the event.

Entries will fill fast so don’t delay as they will be accepted on a first in best dressed basis. One day licences are available for pre-85, vets and masters classes if applied for 21 days before the event.

Click the link below to download the Supplementary Regulations & Entry Form.

www.motorcyclingvic.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/state_files/vic/2013_Folders/2013_Supp_Regs/Thumpercross_Challenge_Entry_Form.pdf

For more information please visit www.dmcc.com.au.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:21:33 am by ARN »

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:04 am »
Yeh that's only 'Pre 85'

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:29 am »
You have got to be kidding. Hasn't anyone learnt from what happened with Cricket and Rugby League in the past and is now happening with Road Racing. If a sport is split it is the sport that suffers.

I'm not surprised the Classic Nats fell over for ACT. Lets face it running on an established track, everything in place (gates, sprinklers, canteen, spectator fencing etc) is a 100 times easier than revamping an old venue. The cost alone would affect a decision. Lets all just make sure the Championship can be run this year. Preferably in NSW, but if necessary Qld. The Natural Terrain a track at QMP can be made available. There are sufficient level 4 officials available.

Just a suggestion why doesn't the Heaven club get more involved to make it occur in NSW.

Just so everyone knows the AASA is probably the company Bob Jane started to run NASCAR and AUSCAR at Calder Park.
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
Just a suggestion why doesn't the Heaven club get more involved to make it occur in NSW

I dont believe Heaven has a venue that can be used.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »
Just a suggestion why doesn't the Heaven club get more involved to make it occur in NSW

I dont believe Heaven has a venue that can be used.

Brisbane MCC and QVMX haven't got venues either.  QMP (Wyaralong) is run by MQ and Conondale is run by Sunshine Coast MCC. If another club assisted ACTMCC maybe it could still be run there. It is probably too late now. For big meetings to be successful they need the support of club members who have an interest in that discipline. They probably needed another club to share the work and the risk.

When Redcliffe MXA ran the Aust MX Championships at Tivoli in 2000 we did it in conjunction with Kilcoy MCC. The meeting was very successful.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
John as a suggestion you could use the MR VMX titles as I'm sure that event has also been cancelled.
Be careful that if MA find someone to run the Nats the clash of dates so you may need a alternative.
Best of luck with it.

I dont know of any suitable tracks that Heaven could try and use, it is truly sad down here, all the old tracks are now jump fest minibike tracks with MNSW enforcing speed limits. Whilst there are some natural places you come up against facilities problems no water no showers etc. The only place I can think off would be Copeton dam and run it with Inverell Club as they hold the license. But it is sand and it gets rough and it needs water allot of water and the November date would be a issue with fellow campers.

http://www.copeton.com.au/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:04:03 pm by Slakewell »
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:38 pm »
Just a suggestion from left field. Could the venue for CD10 be used?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 01:21:45 pm »
I've been out in the shed working on my bikes and giving this as lot of thought. As much as I want to see the 2013 Championship happen, I now think that the Winton option comes loaded with too many negatives. The first and what I consider the most important is the potential to divide our sport into pro and anti MA factions that can only cause problems down the line. In my earlier post I stated that the Winton idea was sound but that was the little man in me crying out for something-anything to happen. The other little man in me is wary of the AASA, probably with no good reason, but whether I'm right or wrong the doubt is there and I wonder how many others harbour those same doubts. Another thing that's been bothering me is the West Aussies coming all this way for a meeting without 'proper' championship status. OK, while the first Nats in both VMX and VDT were both big club day unofficial meetings, they were still MA sanctioned events which added a lot of brownie points as far as "championship" status. The Western Australians deserve some respect by presenting them with a Championship that comes with official MA status. I know that some of you are thinking "why go to so much effort just for a few entries from the other side of the island"? but those of you who've witnessed how much they've contributed to this meeting over the last couple of decades will know that the meeting's very success hangs off their being in attendance....it's that important. This event needs every bloody entry it can scrape up and it's a sad fact that a fair percentage of riders won't support the event because of its non MA status.

So, as much as I admire the Johnny O's rabid enthusiasm and ability to get things moving, I think the move to an AASA event at Winton is destined to fail which is detrimental to the sport and unfair on John for the work that he'd no doubt put into it. I personally think the best option is to do whatever needs to be done to use the main track at Canberra whether it be convincing the ACT club to run it or what I think is a better option, another club hiring the track and working in with MA over a reduced licence fee....seeing that they've kept a portion of the ACT fee.
Sorry John but that's how I see it.   
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 02:08:45 pm »
Hey I don't want to step on anyone's toes, if another club is interested in running something please let me know and I'll stop what am doing.

I don't think anything could be worked-out with regards running an MA sanctioned event at Winton, sure V8's might not be running under AASA but we can't compare V8's to classic mx.

With regards the WA guys coming over, if they are all booked to come, and are happy to come even if the event is not an MA Championship, I don't see any issues?

Sure thing call it a 'National', if there isn't an Australian Championship run in 2013 then this will be looked back on it as it I think.

There is not much time left of this year for any club or MA to make something happen, sure hope someone can prove me wrong.  I appreciate Winton MX Club, AASA & Winton Motor Raceway agreeing to do something with no notice.

I agree that having two series running at the same time splits the rider fields and is not good for the sport, just as the Australian Superbike Championships do, but having a one-off National event will not be splitting anything, we just get to have a fun event with interstate riders that we wouldn't have been able to have.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:04:52 am »
I'm with John Orchid on this one.

There is bugger all time left and John had the insight and conviction to get something happening for us. As much as I can tell, there were no further obstacles other than setting the race format and paperwork for a "national event" to be running at Winton.

Now we have a situation where there are more suggestions flowing in on where it MIGHT, POSSIBLY, COULD BE, run.

I say get behind John and lets make it work at Winton.

If a change of date is deemed necessary, perhaps John and ASAA can work on that. Who cares what banner we fly under, as long as we get to fly!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:12 am »
I have given the President of Winton Club the link to these pages, I'll see if he's still flexible to run with something if need be,

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:24 am »
Nobody's shooting Johnny down in flames, what he's done is great and it shows he's a 'get it done' kind of bloke. However my opposition to the Winton proposal rests purely on its ability to attract the biggest field possible. While I'm hardly MA's biggest fan, I simply feel that to attract the most potential entries official championship status needs to be in place. I know that goes against things I've written earlier but what John's advocating is a far different scenario than the 'big club day' I spoke of. There's a lot of activity going on behind the scenes right now so lets relax for a couple of days and see what eventuates. If the Nats does go ahead in its original MA Championship form, it's not all doom and gloom on the work that John's done. The idea put forward on here to reignite the Mr VMX meeting to Winton with AASA sanction might just turn out to be a great idea.......Let's calm down a little and see what comes out of negotiations elsewhere.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:07 am »
Ok, in the words of Firko "I've been working in the garage and had time to think about this"  ;-)  For anything to work, whether it is MA running at Canberra (or any other track) or AASA running at Winton, we need 100% enthusiasm from everyone.

Nobody is going to travel from interstate for the event if a few riders are poo-pooing it.  Let's sit-back and see what MA can put together, if they can't, or don't, then we MUST build excitement for the Winton event, if AASA, Winton Raceway & Winton MX Club are putting in the hard work at such late notice.

I am prepared to keep the Winton thing on the back-burner as long as I can, if we decide to go ahead with the meeting we need an explosion of 100% excitement, I have many contacts in the motorcycle press, motorcycle industry and motorcycle sport, I will pull-out all stops in promotion and expect others to do the same.

We will not let a second series, or championship, start, we will not be black-banned by MA, this can only be great for the sport.  Building interest in classic motocross can be a good thing for MA, they will win in the end.  I have no desire to harm MA or MV, I just want motorcycling to prosper, if it does, so will the controlling body.

Now we wait.  Regards, John