Author Topic: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled  (Read 45010 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Classic MX Championships Cancelled
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 09:14:43 am »
Guys,
It is easy for everyone to blame MA, you really need to think before you write on this or any forum, MA have offered to help in any way possible and we have not put any constraints on the club. The track needed a lot of work at the start and to our surprise was told that the track is not licenced and they have not applied to have the track licenced. We sent track guidelines to the club and even though they have undertaken a lot of track work there is still a huge amount of work to go to make the venue comply to regulations. The letter we received from the club is considerably different then the one highlighted on this forum. The track has been let go over many years and although the club has done a lot of works the venue needs a lot more work and money to be able to hold an Australian Championship there in the near future and we thank the club for there honesty with MA and wish the club well and hopefully the club will apply to hold a championship again in the near future.

Now guys lets think logically we want another club to take on this years championship hopefully the same weekend would be good as a lot of people have booked holidays etc. There must be other clubs in NSW that could take on the championships. Please lets lobby our clubs and see if we cant get the 2013 Classic Championships back on track.

Regards
Shane Fraser

Fatboy Racing   

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:44 am »
I think reading between the lines (and I have no real insight but being in Canberra am a bit closer to the action) that the problem is a bit of all that we've read.

As Nathan observed, the club is really two clubs in one and the DT side is the one pushing the VMX titles. Now, the Kumagutza track DID need a lot of work but Fred and his team have certainly done the majority of that.

However, there have been concerns expressed and I understand that was raised with MA who (rightly) have looked into the situation. I cannot comment on how that went, but clearly they have raised the bar a little in terms of how much more work was needed, more than the club had anticipated.

I would guess that the cost of that work, given the result will not be a hugely profitable event, is more than the club can bear.

So, it's a little of everything. I always felt that the club had taken on an ambitious job but as Firko notes they were having a good shot at it. Sadly, it hasn't panned out.

So, rather than bag the ACTMCC or MA, the best thing is to move on and see if another club can step up. There's still time.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:30:46 am by Graeme M »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 10:54:55 am »
The points Fatboy Shane makes raise a lot of questions regarding the Canberra club. The most obvious is....if the track was in such poor condition and unlicensed what possessed them to apply for a Championship meeting using that track? Dear old Blind Fred could see that the track was little better than a poor enduro loop that needed a big infusion of topsoil, grooming,rock removal, irrigation, tree removal, ambulance and official access and much more, adding up to a lot of money. I had a peek at the facility while there for last years Classic Dirt Track Nats and remember my retired from vintage racing mate exclaiming "it'll never happen" upon seeing just a small section of the track in the pissing rain. I argued the old Aussie "she'll be right" but deep down in my gut feelings of fear and doubt were beginning to fester. If as Nathan says there are two factions within the club...the DT faction that proposed Kumagutza as a suitable venue and the reportedly larger Motocross faction that runs the main motocross venue, what the fluck is happening at the club to allow one faction get a 'Pie in the Sky' idea like the Kumagutza bid past the club board or committee? Then, when it all goes pear shaped for them to throw blame at this forum for "stirring up the possum" and whingeing about someone "dobbing them in to MA" is reprehensible. The Canberra club went in blind and over their heads and that has cost our sport more than they'll ever know or care.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:20 am »
I would have thought that part of the application process for holding a championship event would include the proposed venue having to hold a license for the track from the get go  ::)
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 12:53:12 pm »
and what are the MA fees to run a National event - excluding percentage of riders fees etc - straight up front costs?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2013, 01:50:08 pm »
I suspect that the only people that can tell you that would be MA
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=706

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
2.5 K Ross for each National, use to be 4.5 K before the split. We (QVMX) are holding the post Classic Nats next year at Echo Valley, Toowoomba around Easter time. There are still a lot of unanswered questions regards the poor attempt by the ACT club.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

TM BILL

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2013, 02:43:47 pm »
While the ACT club bailing on the event is both disappointing and frustrating ( especially for the WA crowd ) digging them out anit gonna change it .

When they applied to run it were there other clubs who were turned down in favour of the ACT club getting it ? and if not why not ?

I would have thought any Vintage club would be honoured to run a nationals and would be queuing up for the rights to run one . If that's not the case then people really need to look at why not. What is putting clubs off applying to run national events ?

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:09 pm »
BUMP

I would have thought any Vintage club would be honoured to run a nationals and would be queuing up for the rights to run one . If that's not the case then people really need to look at why not. What is putting clubs off applying to run national events ?
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:12 pm »
I don't think "factions" is the best word - makes it sound nastier and more poltical than I think the real situation is (even if it is technically correct).

Ekka is vastly more qualified to comment than I am on the other stuff.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Barronvmx

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 08:20:00 pm »
We ran last years CMX titles at a profit and we had to design a track on land run by MQLD and the track was not licenced when we first applied.

We worked for 12 mths to get every assett of running last years CMX titles correct, how is it now at the 11th hour they are cancelled.
The ACTMCC has been a shit fight between the dirt track and Motocross for ever and I know because I was on the commitee. Why aren't ACT motocross putting there hand up to use the existing MX track. I rode a pre 78 bike on the track before the big changes of late and they just avoided the stutters, the track was fine to ride and table tops are easy on old bikes you just land on top if your too slow.

If the venue was moved back to QLD at Wyaralong again or some other track would the other states support it, I know WA would because they are committed to the titles already, just need to point the truck a bit north.
I want to know who was coming to ACT and would now travel to QLD.
BMCC ran the CMX titles last year with 161 riders and everyone praised the event and track. We should be able to get at least 150 so  we can salvage the CMX titles.
Nothing has been decided but its just a thought and would mean my outlay to build a pre 60 bike wont be wasted. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:22:53 pm by Barronvmx »
Huskies
CR250 1972, CR400 1972, SC125 1973, CR250 1975GP, WR250 1979/80, XC125 1983, TX510 1983, XC125 1984 project, CR250 1984 project
Honda's
SL100 1971, XL100 1974, Hondasaki 210, XL185 1981 project
Jawa's
1959 250 project, 1969 175 trail boss project.
Sachs 1969 125

Offline kim80y

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2013, 08:22:43 pm »
BUMP

......costs.......alot of work by volunteers....and little to no profit for the host club

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »
We ran last years CMX titles at a profit and we had to design a track on land run by MQLD and the track was not licenced when we first applied.

We worked for 12 mths to get every assett of running last years CMX titles correct, how is it now at the 11th hour they are cancelled.
The ACTMCC has been a shit fight between the dirt track and Motocross for ever and I know because I was on the commitee. Why aren't ACT motocross putting there hand up to use the existing MX track. I rode a pre 78 bike on the track before the big changes of late and they just avoided the stutters, the track was fine to ride and table tops are easy on old bikes you just land on top if your too slow.

If the venue was moved back to QLD at Wyaralong again or some other track would the other states support it, I know WA would because they are committed to the titles already, just need to point the truck a bit north.
I want to know who was coming to ACT and would now travel to QLD.
BMCC ran the CMX titles last year with 161 riders and everyone praised the event and track. We should be able to get at least 150 so  we can salvage the CMX titles.
Nothing has been decided but its just a thought and would mean my outlay to build a pre 60 bike wont be wasted. ;D

I will come.  from SYDNEY
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline 35elsinore

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »
Barronvmx, i thought last years track was the best vmx track Ive ridden and would not hesitate to come back.[from SA] It would be hard to help from here but would be willing to arrive a few days earlier to help what ever club or venue is chosen. I now its not much but if everyone offers some sort of help we can still have the best CMX nats yet.
Lets move on cos I dont want to have to wait till Pt Augusta SA next year to catch up with everyone.

TM BILL

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »
When would you look at running the event Barron ?